Can't access agilebits.com — secure connection error

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming that! I'm glad to hear that disabling Avast Web Shield did the trick.

Indeed, since that allows Avast to decrypt your (previously) secure traffic using a self-signed certificate, it breaks the chain of trust and causes encrypted connections between you and AgileBits (as well as other sites) to be insecure, in the sense that you are no longer communicating directly with the site itself; it's being intercepted, decrypted, scanned, re-encrypted, and then finally passed on to the site, which can no longer authenticate you properly as a result of the Person in the Middle.

This doesn't cause a problem for all websites using SSL/TLS/HTTPS, but certainly we at AgileBits don't want to proceed with the connection if it cannot be established securely using end-to-end encryption.

• rcme
    rcme
    Community Member

Thank you for the guidance. I ran the howsmyssl.com and found that my TLS was 1.0. I had Sophos running at one time, but everything worked then. I ran CleanMyMac 3 recently due to some performance issues and that is the only thing that I can think that may have changed it. I ran ClamXav in looking for malware issues, but did not find anything. I reinstalled Sophos and started a full scan with that. While that was running and started ClamXav to see if there is anything there I had missed. I went back to the howsmyssl.com to check and the TLS was now at 1.2. I am now able to log into the 1password web site again. I am still not sure what fixed it, but it is working. I do appreciate your assistance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rcme: That is really strange, but I'm glad it's working for you now! Thanks so much for the update. It's possible that one of those tools as a matter of course simply addressed a minor issue with your browser's or OS's security settings. That's definitely something I'll be looking at more closely now. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.