I am not entirely sure about concept behind 1Password Families

Options
dwk
dwk
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Families

Hi,

I read the description page of 1password families and I don't quite get what exactly it is.

Till this date, I considered 1password as a local password manager (I can sync through dropbox but my data is not held in agilebits' server).

However, 1passowrd families seems to be something more like a 'LastPass' like product.

Can anyone enlighten me on this matter ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dwk,

You're right about 1Password, you store your data locally and you can sync it to other devices via Dropbox, iCloud or Wi-Fi. 1Password works this way if you have a standalone license. It keeps all your logins, passwords and more securely saved in your own device.

1Password Families is a new option to keep your information secure, while making it very easy to share it. In this case, data is stored in a server. Besides making sharing easy, having your data on a server means that you never have to worry about syncing again and it lets you access your information via a web app in any computer.

You can read all the details about 1Password Families here:
    https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/02/16/introducing-1password-for-families/

I hope this clears things up for you! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dwk: And just to elaborate, from a security perspective, 1Password Families is the same as what you're used to: AgileBits never has access to your data. Even with 1Password for Families, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Account Key is created locally and your Master Password is never transmitted and only known by you, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data.

You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have! :)

This discussion has been closed.