Signing up - clearer procedure

Narius
Narius
Community Member

Hi team. I got caught out on this one. I think the migration procedure could have been clearer. Firstly, because I was directed to the sign-up page for families, it wasn't until afterwards that I realised you encourage us to use the same master p/w as we had on our desktop. Couldn't tell that on first instance.
Then, I signed up and moved my primary vault to my online personal vault. So no duplicates. All good. But then I logged into another computer where I'd also had 1P, and it was still sharing dropbox. Now I have 870+ in my primary and 720+ in my personal. Ouch! It would have been helpful if you'd told us first to turn off dropbox sync in all devices before beginning the process.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: El Capitan
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Narius! Sorry for the trouble getting things set up. We'd be happy to help you sort out the issues. When you set things up on your second computer, did you move your data from that computer to your Families account? I'm guessing that's where the duplicates came from. If not, let us know how you set things up so we can get a better idea of what happened. :)

It would have been helpful if you'd told us first to turn off dropbox sync in all devices before beginning the process.

I've actually not heard of this being an issue before, so I'm sorry about that. If you could let us know what guides you used to set up your Families account I'll see how we can improve them. Thanks so much for the feedback!

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member

My second computer was already set to sync through dropbox, so I think what's happened is that when I opened it up, I signed up to families, and that was all good. But I'm guessing the data already existing in my primary account on that computer fed back to dropbox. I'd just had this 2nd computer updated with a new drive, so who knows what 1P thought was the latest data. Either way, I ended up with logins on both computers on both primary and personal - duplication (Arggghhh) which I thought was meant to be good to avoid. And the numbers between the 2 are different.
    I only stumbled onto this when I went to make a new login, and found it being added to my Private account - not what I was trying to do if I was looking at the family one being the main.
    Not sure what to do now, as I really don't want this to occupy my time. I can't even just go back to a point in time(machine) because I'm not sure a) where that would logically be and b) what I've done in the meantime.

As far as what page I used to sign up, I was trying to get in whilst the discount period was on. I think I went through the Families tab on the home page, with a "how to sign up" option. Nothing there said "Go here .... if you already have an account with us" so I just followed the instructions there.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for writing back, @Narius.

As far as what page I used to sign up, I was trying to get in whilst the discount period was on. I think I went through the Families tab on the home page, with a "how to sign up" option. Nothing there said "Go here .... if you already have an account with us" so I just followed the instructions there.

Thanks for this information! We'll see how we can make that clearer. Really appreciate you pointing this out.

If you moved all the data from your Primary (Dropbox) vault to your Personal family vault and were satisfied with the result before going to your second Mac, you could just remove all the data from the Primary vault. But you want to be sure you have an archive of it in case there ends up being something you need. Let's try this:

Now that Dropbox is done syncing on both Macs, you can create a new vault called something like "Archive". And move everything from the Primary vault into the "Archive" vault.

Then you can disable the "Archive" vault under the list of "Vaults included" in Preferences > All Vaults.

That will allow you to use the All Vaults view without seeing all the items in your "Archive" vault. But they will still be there if you need them.

I hope that helps. Please let me know. :)

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member

Hi Team
    Oh boy. I was just about to write and tell you how confused I was, but I think I've worked out the problem. And to be honest, I think it's something you should look at (if I may be so bold), since if it caught me out as a user, it could catch others.
    A bit of background. I went to make a new login. It went into Primary rather than Personal. Got it - need to change the prefs under All Vaults to default to Personal. Done now. So I moved the new login to Personal. All good. But there were still the 870+ left that I hadn't done anything with (from discussion above) in Primary.
    Made a new archive - Archive 2 - tried to move them all. (Item>Share>move) Nothing really happened.
    Change my vault view (left hand menu) to Primary. (Pic included) and then to Archive, back and forwards etc

I now see the problem. When I'm on Primary, I see EVErything. It doesn't limit down until I click the All Items in the sidebar. Once I do, even switching between vaults, All Items stays selected, and shows that I actually don't have 870+ items - just 5 - inadvertently put there over the past few days.
    Going back to All Vaults at the top knocks it back to the previous behaviour - i.e. that Primary sees everything, not just what's in the Primary vault.
    Hope that helps you out. It certainly explains the problems/confusion I was having in the above posts too. It had nothing to do with an older computer. It had to do with how items are viewed under Primary.
    Phil

• @Narius Thanks for getting back to us! That definitely sounds a bit off. When you switch vaults, the interface should refresh and you should see the contents of the new vault, not all of them. All Items stays selected for me no matter what vault I switch to, and filters only that vault. I also tried deselecting it manually and that didn't change the behavior. What version of 1Password for Mac are you using? If you could install the beta and let us know if the issue is still there, that'd be great. :)

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member

Will try the beta when I can. I found it hard to "deselect" too. The way I did it (success in failure) was to choose all vaults. Then the behaviour occurred.

• @Narius I'm still not seeing the specific issue you mentioned, so please do let me know if you see it on the beta as well. It's good to note that deselecting the category is not necessary or supported, so that could be causing issues. I'm curious as to why you're doing that in the first place.

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member

Penderworth - I had to find a way to deselect in order to replicate what happened to me earlier, without any intent or effort on my part. I'm glad it's not necessary or supported but it happened to me without my realising. Maybe I had selected "All Vaults" earlier and not realised the knock-on effect it would have.
    But now good news. I downloaded the Beta, and selecting All Vaults followed by Primary does NOT mess things up. It works the way you expect it should.
    So it must have been a glitch in my previous version only. (And you have the picture to prove that I'm not mad).

• Thanks for the update Narius! If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.