Changed master password on Mac but not syncing correctly?

Options
ryanfrench
ryanfrench
Community Member

Hi,

I have changed my master password using the Mac app on one computer however the Master password still remains the same on my other Mac Mini, Macbook, Iphone and PC.

Currently my vault is synced with Dropbox, and I see that Dropbox updates the files when I change the Master password however the Master password doesn't take effect on all my other devices.

Would appreciate some help if this is a known issue.

Cheers.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ryanfrench,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

In order for the new Master Password to take effect elsewhere, it needs to sync. And it can't sync if 1Password is locked. And you can't unlock 1Password with the new Master Password yet since it hasn't synced.

So, just to make sure you already tried this:

1. Unlock 1Password on your other computers and devices.
    2. Let it sync.
    3. Lock 1Password.

You should then be able to use the new Master Password.

If you've done that, and it still isn't working, please let me know.

• ryanfrench
    ryanfrench
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @khad,

I just opened 1Password on my Iphone. Currently my password is still the same.
    I pressed sync once 1Password was unlocked then locked and tried to login again however it was still using the old password.

I then opened 1Password again and deleted the sync from the app and then reconnected the sync, then it came up with a merge message to combine both old data and new. That worked and now I have the new master password on my Iphone.

However this seems like a bug if I have to complete this same step on every device. Might want to look into this a bit further or is intentional that the user has to delete and re-sync the vault?

Cheers.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, you are correct, @ryanfrench. You definitely should not need to disable and re-enable your sync setup.

Could you try creating a new item in 1Password on your Mac? I am wondering if the new item will show up even when the Master Password isn't changed, or if the problem isn't specific to the Master Password. It may be a sync problem affecting the syncing of everything.

• ryanfrench
    ryanfrench
    Community Member
    Options

@khad,

Just created a new login item on mac and it syncs correctly to all the devices. It seems to be an issue with syncing master passwords.

Cheers.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ryanfrench,

Thanks for confirming that! I take it from your original post that this is the case on all devices. But please do let me know if you are only seeing it on iOS. Anything we can do to narrow it down will help track it down and make sure it is resolved for others as well.

This discussion has been closed.