Will 1Password ever sync to more than one location?

Options
DrigoBortensson
DrigoBortensson
Community Member

I had trouble syncing early on, my home computer was an older version of OSX that apparently wouldn't do iCloud correctly (don't remember the details). I hacked something together with Google Drive and rsync, things mostly worked (except my iPhone, but I need to use 1Password there very infrequently).

Recently, I upgraded my home computer and when I installed 1Password there, it found the iCloud vault immediately. I switched my work computer to use the same, and everything's peachy.

But I'm not very trusting either, and I'd like to store an extra copy of my vault in a location that's under my own control. I decided to just set up a cron job to copy it once a day (or every 12 hours or whatever) to my NAS at home... but when I check in the iCloud Drive I see that it's not there. I googled it, and I understand why it's not there, but now I'm mildly concerned.

Could a feature be added to allow syncing (or copying, if proper syncing is impossible) to a second location?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @DrigoBortensson,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the forum with your thoughtful question! And good on you for thinking about redundancy and backups.

First I want to clarify that sync and backup are two different things... and 1Password can do both!

You're syncing to iCloud, and 1Password for Mac is automatically making periodic backups locally on your Mac. It's not possible to choose the location of the backups, but you are more than welcome to use Time Machine or any other backup drive to back up your backups. If you do choose to use a backup drive, just be careful to exclude the 1Password app from the backup because having more than one copy of the app installed can cause conflicts with the main app.

I don't believe we have any current plans to be able to sync a vault to more than one place (and I can't imagine how complicated that would be to configure and maintain), but hopefully knowing about the backups will eliminate your need for this sync redundancy. :)

• DrigoBortensson
    DrigoBortensson
    Community Member
    Options

I stumbled across the backups too. It's a zip file with a sqlite database in it and a few blob files. I was hoping for what 1Pass puts on Dropbox (including the nifty little html viewer)... I can drop that in a folder on my NAS, and even use it from that location as is.

Can the backup be turned into that with shell script magic?

I don't believe we have any current plans to be able to sync a vault to more than one place (and I can't imagine how complicated that would be to configure and maintain),

Then it wouldn't even have to be a proper sync (where it pulls changes from that location, but also writes changes to it). It could just be a copy/write. This would make it simple.

It would be convenient and useful, and serves a different purpose than a backup.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DrigoBortensson,

I was hoping for what 1Pass puts on Dropbox (including the nifty little html viewer)

That's an old feature called 1PasswordAnywhere, which was built into the old Agile Keychain sync file format. It's actually going to stop working on Dropbox.com soon, and you can read more about that here: Moving Beyond 1PasswordAnywhere

Can the backup be turned into that with shell script magic?

No, the backup files are zipped copies of your 1Password database and work very differently from an Agile Keychain sync file. But even if it was possible, it's not something you would want to do anyway because 1PasswordAnywhere is a JavaScript app that can easily be modified to do malicious things. It was a great solution back when security concerns were less severe, but these days, we don't recommend using it.

...it wouldn't even have to be a proper sync (where it pulls changes from that location, but also writes changes to it). It could just be a copy/write. This would make it simple.

That's essentially how it works with the backup files - a copy of your database is created, zipped, and stored on your Mac. A backup file is a snapshot of your data from a specific point in time, and it's there in case you need to restore that data to 1Password.

It would be convenient and useful, and serves a different purpose than a backup.

I think perhaps we're not really understanding what purpose that would serve for you. Would you mind elaborating a bit? If you're worried something will go wrong with your data as a result of iCloud sync, you can restore from a backup. If syncing simultaneously with both iCloud and Dropbox would serve another purpose for you, please let us know. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.