Default focus should be on "Search"

Options
dtempleton
dtempleton
Community Member

When I access 1Password mini via the Firefox plugin or the menu bar access, I am usually either looking for the password for the login page I'm on, or want to find the login details I'm thinking about. However, if you have a blank browser page open, or any without a password, the menu item focuses on "Password Generator", an Item I have never used. Almost all the time I have to grab the mouse again and drag up to "Search". This should be the default behavior. Based on a forum post from 2011 (V3) this was at that time the default activity.

Am I missing something? Or can it be fixed?

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: 4.45
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:leave beta , kb-search:stop beta , kb-search:beta, kb:install-beta, kb-search:twitter

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dtempleton,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I just went on Firefox on my computer and did some testing. When I open 1Password mini or the browser extension while on a non log-in page what I notice is that the Password Generator is highlighted, but the cursor is still active on the Search bar. I can just start typing right away. Can you please check what the behaviour is in your computer? I'd like to hear some more details in case something is not working properly for you.
    Please let us know what you find out! :chuffed:

• Jacob
    edited April 2016
    Options

@dtempleton To expand on what Pilar mentioned, how are you activating the 1Password menu item? Are you clicking 1Password in your Mac's menu bar, the Firefox toolbar, or using a keyboard shortcut?

I'm also very curious as to why you don't use the password generator. 1Password is all about storing strong passwords so you don't have to remember them. :) I highly suggest making use of that power. Our How to change your passwords and make them stronger knowledge base article (with a video) is a great place to start.

• dtempleton
    dtempleton
    Community Member
    Options

@Pilar Thanks! Yes, even though the Password Generator is highlighted, input text goes into search. Non-intuitive but functional.

@penderworth Well, as I don't have software embedded in my brain, I still like human parsable passwords. I use a two-secret system that generates a strong password and that I can recover from my cranium for instances such as when I want to log into my bank from my son's computer. A 'feature' for me would be to teach the 1Password my system and have them generate the password for me, but that sounds rather complex.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dtempleton,

I'm glad to hear that it's all working ok for you now! I agree with you that the passwords that look like someone banged their head on the keyboard while very secure are not ideal if you ever have to remember them or type them yourself. The good news is that the Password Generator has now "Diceware Passwords". This means that it will pick some truly random words for you. Usually three or four are more than enough, but that's up to you! For example, I got this one on my first try: mosque-bronze-casting. It's easy for me to remember and even easier to type! If you're interested in this topic, you can read more about it in this blog post: https://blog.agilebits.com/2011/06/21/toward-better-master-passwords/.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with, we're always here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.