Why is "Vault for Saving" hidden under All Vaults in settings?

Options
smallcheese
smallcheese
Community Member

Hi folks,

This kinda doesn't make sense to me that this setting should be a level below the general Vaults settings. What you're trying to do is let the app know which one of the vaults available you should use, which is a generic vaulty kinda thing. The All Vaults setting feels like it should be exclusively used for selecting which of potentially many vaults should encompass a particular user's "All Vaults" view, and doesn't make sense that the Vault for Saving option go alongside it.

Thoughts?
Cheers!
Tom

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Tom!

I've moved this post to our non-beta iOS forum, as it also applies to the current stable version of 1Password for iOS.

The logic is that the "Vault for Saving" setting only matters when you are in the All Vaults view. It has no effect in other views. If you have selected a vault other than All Vaults then that is the vault where items will be saved.

Becasue the setting only affects All Vaults we felt it was appropriate to have the setting within the All Vaults settings area.

Thanks!

Ben

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @bwoodruff, that does kind of make sense.

However, if I'm looking only at a particular vault in the Mac App I don't necessarily want anything new I auto-save in Safari going into the same vault. I've actually only just realised that changing Vaults in the App also changes the Vault in Mini - this is not ideal!

• Ben
    Options

While there is obviously a separation under the hood, we don't want customers to have to think about the difference between the "main app" and "mini." It should all just be "1Password." If you change vaults in "1Password" then that change is reflected everywhere you see "1Password."

I understand there may be some edge cases where this would not be ideal, but hopefully those are few and far between. The product should be seen as a whole, rather than the sum of its components.

Ben

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

I hope there is some scope to provide a switch to adjust this behaviour via Settings - "Sync Vault selection to Mini" or similar. I almost always want to be saving new items to the Personal Vault, would like Mini to be set to show all Vaults and will change the filtered view on the Mac App to whatever suits my current activities.

I can certainly see what you mean about consistency, but in most cases I can't see why most folks would want to not have All Vaults set for Mini. People with lots of duplicate accounts aside that is.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. We try very hard to avoid adding preferences, as they tend to be a huge source of confusion. It is much preferable to come up with defaults that make sense for the vast majority. That said I'll certainly pass the feedback to our development team.

I can't see why most folks would want to not have All Vaults set for Mini

I personally prefer to have it set to my Personal vault most of the time. There is all kinds of stuff in company shared vaults that, while I need occasional access to it (some of it), I don't use it regularly.

I could very well be in the minority here though. :)

Ben

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

The point is, Mini only prompts for the site you're on, so unless you have a ton of duplicated entries for the same site across Vaults (which you may very well do) then All Vaults is a suitable default setting.

• Ben
    Options

Mini only prompts for the site you're on

Right. :)

so unless you have a ton of duplicated entries

It isn't so much about duplicates as it is about credentials that aren't mine. I have access to them, for occasional use, but they aren't necessarily the account I'm logging into every day.

That is just me though, and I do see your point. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.