How to recover or change password I forgot of secondary vault? I know the master password.

Options
tzharp
tzharp
Community Member

I was previously on 1Password version 5 and have a personal vault and a work vault. The personal vault used my master password and the work vault used another password. With the update to 1Password 6, I realize that we only use the master password now to open all vaults. I am trying to open my 1Password "work vault" database in another application that supports it (Royal TSX), but it's asking for my "work vault" password. Since I haven't had to type my "work vault" password in a long time I forgot that password. Is there any way to change or recover that password using the master password?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:forgot secondary vault password

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tzharp,

Unfortunately there is no way to change a vault’s password without knowing the existing password. We have some tips in our support pages that might be able to help trigger your memory and remind you about that missing password:

I lost or forgot my Master Password

Now, if none of those tips work, what we can do is essentially recreate the vault in 1Password. Here are the steps to do that:

1. Unlock 1Password using your Master Password.
    2. Click on the 1Password menu and select ‘Create new Personal vault’
    3. Give the vault a unique name and a strong Master Password.
    4. Leave this vault empty for now and switch to your work vault.
    5. Select all items in your work vault.
    6. Right-click on the list and select Share > ‘vault name’ > Move from the menu.
    7. Use the 1Password menu (while viewing your now empty work vault) and select ‘Delete vault’.

This will give you a new vault with a new Master Password with all of your work details inside. You might want to store this password safely in your primary vault, just in case.

(As a quick aside, we recommend never typing your Master Password into an app that is not 1Password. We just can’t guarantee the security of another app.)

• tzharp
    tzharp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

No worries, I will just recreate the vault as you have suggested. Thank you so much for the quick feedback! Also, I do understand the risk associated with typing the password into another app. I wanted to test out the functionality and will be changing my Master Password on 1Password now. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tzharp,

I’m glad I was able to help! If you hit any snags while re-creating the vault, please let me know. We’re here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.