Using 1 Sync password across 4 devices (mac book 1, mac book2, ipad, iphone)

Roman_101
Roman_101
Community Member

Hi!

I am currently using 1 Sync password across 4 devices (mac book 1, mac book2, ipad, iphone). As required I aligned the passwords on my mac book 1, my iphone and my ipad to sync data via my local wireless connection. So far that works well, ...

BUT if I want to sync passwords between my iphone and my mac book 2, I am requested to set up a new syncing-password for syncing between these two devices. Consequently I need to change the syncing password on my iphone (or ipad) depending what mac book I want to sync with.

Is there a way I just have 1 common password for synching across all devices if like to sync data via wireless connection?

Thanks for your support,
Roman

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Wireless
Referrer: kb-search:using 1password across many devices, kb:faq

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Roman_101,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us again. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

As mentioned in the User Guide:

• Wi-Fi Sync in 1Password for Mac will only work with an iOS or Android device. It is not possible to use it with another Mac or PC.
    • Wi-Fi sync is only available between a single Mac or PC and one or more iOS or Android devices.

It's that second one that I think you are running up against. Setting up Wi-Fi Sync creates a link between the iOS device and one specific Mac. If you create another link, it breaks the existing one. We've done this as there would be a lot of sync conflicts the more links you create. Syncing without conflicts is hard enough with only two sync sources. If it was possible to add more, it would become more and more of a mess very quickly.

Dropbox is a great option to keep all your devices in sync. Each device only needs to "link" to Dropbox, and everything is kept in sync across all devices. Wi-Fi Sync must be done with the two devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network. This means that you need to remember to sync them before you go on an adventure that separates them. Dropbox syncing is fully automatic and securely syncs your 1Password data anywhere you have Internet access. There's nothing to remember (or forget!), and I definitely consider that a win. :)

Of course, if you want a completely local solution and the Macs are ever on the same network, you could set up something like ChronoSync or rsync using the Folder Sync feature. But that is a pretty advanced setup, and it may not be something you want to deal with.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

• Roman_101
    Roman_101
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. Highly appreciated!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Roman_101,

I’m so glad to hear that Khad was able to answer your questions. We’re always here if you would like to know anything else about 1Password. :)

This discussion has been closed.