Apple Phone Screen Broken, Can't Access One Password & Tried Most of the Forum Suggestions

Options
Alexas_Kelly
Alexas_Kelly
Community Member

Hello there. I have had One Password for over six years and it is backed up in my Itunes on my MAC, and in Imazing on my PC. I did not know to set it up to save a backup via Icloud or Dropbox. I figured that an accessible backup would be available via the two locations listed above. Silly me. I have read all the forums and tried to access via my Mac and PC. I have a job that requires more than 50 passwords and need access ASAP. I read that Itunes only stores the app not the data. I tried to access the SQLITE file that is saved in the Imazing backup via the forum suggestions and that didn't work. While I wait for a new phone/screen what do you suggest? I know this is covered extensively in your forum, however, need help.....Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Alexas_Kelly

Very sorry for the trouble you're having.

If you have a Mac available to you then you could use the sqlite (technically the whole Data folder, not just that one file) on the Mac. Or if you have another iOS device, perhaps an iPad? That would also be feasible.

If all you have available to you is a PC though, then I'm afraid the sqlite file would be unusable there and the only way you'd be able to view the data on the PC is if you had synced the data to Dropbox. It sounds like you did not do this though, correct?

If so I'm afraid you will have to wait until your new iPhone arrives or you acquire a Mac or another iOS device, even if temporarily.

I hope that helps. If you do have an iOS device or Mac available we can definitely help you get the data from an iTunes backup onto that device.

• Alexas_Kelly
    Alexas_Kelly
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the quick response. I do have a MAC, but can't see the backup file as suggested in the manual backup guidance on your forum. I do have an IPAD also. So, that would be great if you could help me with that.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Alexas_Kelly

This is probably best performed on a Mac if you have it readily available.

I wrote up, awhile back, a guide for getting the SQLite file. I used iExplorer for it, perhaps you might try it, or see if you can use it as a guide for locating the "Data" folder. You can see that guide here:

https://agkyle.clarify-it.com/d/hkzdme

Once you have this Data folder we need to prepare it for restoring.

1. Go inside of the Data folder
    2. Select all of the files inside it (in Finder you can do CMD+A to select all)
    3. Right click the files and choose "Compress" from the list of options

This will create a zip file, we just need to rename it. I'll give you a name, it may not be totally accurate for your data but it will be sufficient for restoring :)

1. Right click the new zip file that was created
    2. Choose "Get Info"
    3. Under the Name & Extension section you'll see the current file name, paste this in:

1Password 2016-04-28 15_43_31 (11 profiles, 663 items, 35 folders, 25 attachments).1p4_zip

It may ask if you want to use the 1p4_zip extension, you'll choose the equivalent "yes" option for this.

You now have a backup for your 1Password data that can be restored to either the Mac or the iOS device.

Restore on Mac

1. Download 1Password
    2. Install it by dragging the application to your Applications folder
    3. Double click to run it
    4. You'll see the welcome screen, choose "Find it elsewhere" (the blue text)
    5. Then choose "Restore from Backup"
    6. Point it to the 1Password 2016-04-28 15_43_31 (11 profiles, 663 items, 35 folders, 25 attachments).1p4_zip file

This should then quit the app and once restarting you should be presented with the unlock screen, unlock and you should see your data.

iOS Restore

Basically this: https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/#restoring-manual-backups

It's a lot of steps for iOS but they're all outlined there.

Let me know if that helps!

This discussion has been closed.