Same url but two accounts - won't distinguish second password even w/different login

Newbie2
Newbie2
Community Member

Hi - I have 1Password6 on my Mac. We have two accounts with Edward Jones (stock brokerage)--one in California and one in Texas, for which I have a separate login and password (generated by 1Password). When I try to login w/1Password it only shows one password for both logins--even though they're different. When I cut and paste from the 1Password program listing, a box comes up asking me if I want to update the info of the other account. (Hope I'm making myself clear.) Thanks ... Sharon

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.4.5
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:Same url but two accounts - won't distinguish second password even w/different login

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Newbie2,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

It sounds like you already have two Login items. I'm sure you've already given them sensible titles to help you distinguish between the two. But you if you haven't already, I would probably call them "Edward Jones - California" and "Edward Jones - Texas" if they were my accounts. :)

If the URL is exactly the same in both Login items, you should always be prompted by 1Password which one you want to fill. So that should resolve that aspect if it was giving you any trouble.

I think the real issue is that 1Password is trying to be helpful by detecting what it thinks is a password change on the site, but I am puzzled as to why 1Password would detect the alleged "change" if that password was (a) filled by 1Password itself and (b) already saved in a Login item.

It might help to start from scratch and create two new items to make sure there isn't a bug we need to fix or anything like that.

Here is what I did and it seems to work correctly in my testing:

1. Open the main 1Password app.
    2. Choose File > New Item > New Login.
    3. Enter the title "Edward Jones - California".
    4. Enter the URL of the site's sign-in page. (I tested with https://www.edwardjones.com/ as you didn't specify a specific one. But let me know if I should be testing a different URL.)
    5. Enter the username and password. You may need to copy and paste the password from your existing item if it was one that 1Password generated for you. I know I wouldn't want to try typing that by hand. :)
    6. Save the item.

Then I tested to make sure that when I went to https://www.edwardjones.com/ I was able to use Command-Backslash (\) to enter the username. That worked, and I submitted the form to go to the page that asks for my password.

I was able to use Command-Backslash (\) again to fill the password.

With that confirmed working, I went back to the main 1Password app to duplicate the item.

1. Select the "Edward Jones - California" Login item.
    2. Choose Item > Duplicate.
    3. Edit the title to be "Edward Jones - Texas".
    4. Edit the username and password. Again, you may need to copy and paste your password from your existing item for your Texas account.
    5. Save the item.

Everything seems to be working well with this second item as well. I am not prompted to update the password in either item when I use 1Password to fill either one.

Let me know if you find similar success by following those steps. If so, you can probably delete your old Login items for that site to avoid any confusion in the future.

• Newbie2
    Newbie2
    Community Member

khad! IT WORKED BEAUTIFULLY! Only ... I didn't "test" them :o) After your instruction to "Save the item" I just went ahead with what you had suggested above that, and it worked perfectly. I noticed that I created a lot of passwords (the "key" symbols?) in messing around with the matter so I deleted all the extra ones. Then I noticed a lot of OTHER keys in my listing--I guess that was from other times when I was trying to get a password to work. No doubt I can delete all those IF I'm sure that the log in that is "officially" listed for that website has the correct password. (I'm sure you LOVE trying to decipher what people are not saying clearly -- but you sure did a great job of it for my problem above! Thanks again ... have a great weekend! Sharon

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

That is fantastic news, @Newbie2! I'm glad that did the trick. :) :) :)

No doubt I can delete all those IF I'm sure that the log in that is "officially" listed for that website has the correct password.

That's completely correct. The items with the "key" icon are Password items. They are created when you generate a password as a sort of safety net in case the password doesn't find its way into a Login item: the "official" place it should reside. I usually delete mine every few weeks or so. If there was a password I generated and didn't save, I can always use the site's "forgot password" feature if I really have to.

I hope you have a great weekend as well.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.