1P doesn't save the "editing/creating item" status when I minimize it to the dock

Options
alvaro87
alvaro87
Community Member

Hello,

I don't know if this also happened in previous versions or if this all started after using Families. Indeed, I remember that if I edited an item and, without saving it, I chose another one and then went back to the previous one, it still appeared in "editing mode", waiting for me to complete the edition and finish it.

But now, If I'm editing an item (or creating a new one) and I minimize 1P (clicking on the yellow icon at the left top corner of 1P windows) because in that moment I don't use the trackpad gestures to change the app and want to go to other app, this happens:
1º. When 1P window is minimizing, it changes from editing/creating window to the window that appears when you open 1P and it's locked and asks for your Master Password.
2º. When I click on the 1P icon in the dock to restore the window, that same window that appeared in point number one appears again and, after 1 second (more or less) it shows my 1P unlocked. And that's what it has to do as I didn't left my computer unused to make 1P lock itself.

What I think shouldn't happen is that that window as if 1P were locked shouldn't appear when minimizing 1P to the dock and then restoring it.

And, of course!, I shouldn't lose all the information I was creating/editing. It's very frustrating. Some minutes ago I was editing an item, minimize 1P (I didn't remember this bug) and lost everything. And I had to write everything again from the scratch.

Is this a known bug?

Thanks and regards.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

@alvaro87,

I think I'm going to start my days by checking for all your new posts from now on. I always appreciate your thoughtful and detailed reports and requests. :)

The lock screen appears when you minimize 1Password for Mac to prevent anyone from getting a peek at anything while the window is minimizing or with dock magnification someone can make the dock icons big enough where some sensitive data is visible, so our solution is to put the lock screen over the data when minimized.

However, there certainly shouldn't be any data loss! I think we have a bug on our hands. I'm surprised this never came up before. I wonder if most folks hide windows instead of minimizing them…? Just a theory.

Anyway, I was able to reproduce this and have filed it for resolution in an update. Thank you so much for reporting this.

ref: OPM-4051

• alvaro87
    alvaro87
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thank you, @khad

But if someone wanted to access my 1P information when I previously minimized the windows, they should onky click on the icon and ta-da!! All my information would appear. Because the lock screen automatically disappears 1 second later after restoring the Window from the dock.

If I were a data stealer, and saw that 1P is minimized, I would click on the icon and would have acces to everything.

Maybe 1P should automatically locks when minimizing it or, at least, should be there an option to choose whether we want it to do so.

Anyway, what really annoys and worries me in this situation is the lata loss so I'm glad you were able to reproduce this and, hopefully, this will be fixed soon.

Thanks again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alvaro87,

I’ll be honest, I’m learning something new today - I never really noticed that the lock screen appeared when you minimized the app. If I were to speculate on this, I’d say that this feature is less to thwart actual data thieves than to protect against casual shoulder surfers.

Let’s say that someone comes to your desk while you’re working in 1Password. You can quickly use ⌘M (or click that yellow bubble) to minimize the app and your sensitive data is not only minimized, but covered by that lock screen as well. If you’re the type of person who opens apps using the dock, there’s no chance that you’ll accidentally scroll past and magnify 1Password and show off that item you were working on. Again, it won’t protect you if someone gains access to your computer and pulls up the app, but I think it’s a nice feature all the same.

In any case, I did a bit of further testing on the real issue that we’re discussing, and I noticed that hiding the window does not have the same problem as minimizing it. So, while we work on resolving this, you might consider using ⌘H to get 1Password out of the way instead of minimizing it to the dock.

I hope this helps!

• alvaro87
    alvaro87
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Megan,

Thank you for your answer. This lock screen doesn't worry me at all. What worries me is the data loss. I just talked about that lock screen because it was a "part" of the process when I lost my data ;)

That "lock" is just an appearance and I could confuse and user who thinks his 1P has been locked, leaves his computer on for a while and the realizes 1Password weren't locked at all. The idea of showing the lock screen when minimizing to avoid users to use dock magnification to get our data as @khad said is a good idead. But the dock magnification obstacle will be overcome just clicking on the minimized window because 1P windows will just appear unlocked, not locked as the dock icon makes users understand.

I even thought it was a bug and, also, that could happen because I have 1PF website open in Safari and the 1P Mac thought something like: "well, if 1PF website is open, then I can automatically unlock myself" :blush:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alvaro87,

Thanks so much for clarifying your thoughts here. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alvaro87,

But the dock magnification obstacle will be overcome just clicking on the minimized window because 1P windows will just appear unlocked, not locked as the dock icon makes users understand.

Indeed. I agree with you. I should have said that in my initial reply. It seems to imply that 1Password is locked when it isn't. Perhaps we can either show a (slightly?) different screen or just skip it altogether. It is not something I would personally ever rely on to protect my data from shoulder surfing. It seems to offer a false sense of security. It is better to actually lock 1Password if you will be stepping away from your computer. :)

Besides, my Dock is hidden unless I hover over it. ;)

• alvaro87
    alvaro87
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @khad

My dock is also hidden unless I hover over it (It's on the left side of my screen). And my app windows minimize in their own app icon so...

Of course, I don't use minimization as a way to protect my data from shoulder surfing. I always lock 1P if I'm going to leave my computer unattended (using my hotkey combination or just closing the lid of my laptop). The same if I'm viewing or accusing sensitive data (bank websites, etc.)

I normally use Mission Control trackpad gesture to change between apps but, I don't know why, sometimes I minimize windows.

And yes, maybe you should slightly change something to, at least, not make users who minimize 1P think the app has been locked ;). Furthermore and, in my opinion, that lock window shouldn't appear as It doesn't appear when hiding the app. Because in both ways, 1P will always be unlocked.

So, I can think of two solutions:

• Adding an option to automatically lock 1P when minimizing or hiding it (if you decide to keep showing that lock window when minimizing).
    • Stop showing that lock window when minimizing.

Regards.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alvaro87,

My dock is also hidden unless I hover over it (It's on the left side of my screen).

Great minds think alike! Mine as well. :)

So, I can think of two solutions:

• Adding an option to automatically lock 1P when minimizing or hiding it (if you decide to keep showing that lock window when minimizing).
    • Stop showing that lock window when minimizing.

Exactly. That is what I have proposed. Maybe even the latter with an option for the former on the Security preference pane.

But first and foremost we need to get the bug fixed so that you no one loses any data!

• alvaro87
    alvaro87
    Community Member
    Options

@khad

But first and foremost we need to get the bug fixed so that you no one loses any data!

Yes, that the most important thing now ;)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1:

This discussion has been closed.