My son just purchased a Chromebook for school. Will 1Password work with this?

Options

My son just purchased a Chromebook for school. Will 1Password work with this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• mdmangus
    mdmangus
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@BandGuy,

Quick Answer is no. 1Password browser extensions require a Desktop Application to be installed. Browser extensions locally communicate with that desktop app... So that is why the quick answer is no on a chromebook... but read the next paragraph.

One possible solution is signing up for 1Password for Families. You still won't be able to use a browser extension to automatically fill in passwords into sites, but you could login into the your-family.1password.com web portal to access the passwords. Then you could manually copy the username and password into the site you want to log into.

Just realize though that only Mac, iOS devices, and Android devices have a pretty good 1Password for Families experience. Right now 1Password for Windows doesn't work with families cloud/website. So you would most likely using the browser to manually log into your web account to manually copy username and passwords like on a chromebook...

There is a 1Password for Windows 10 that can work with families, but its not really great or featured enough. But it does have an integrated 1Browser inside the app that can auto fill, but you won't be using a full blown browser with an extension... They are working on a better solution, but its probably far out.

1Password for families has only been out for a few months so it should continue to expand and grow. I'm hoping they open up this new subscription with cloud storage where the browser extensions will communicate directly like LastPass does. If they do this then a local client wouldn't need to be installed so that Chromebook could do that autofilling... Time will tell and can only hope.

Hope this helps and didn't confuse you between their old product and their new subscription service they just started.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @BandGuy,

@mdmangus pretty much has it right.

There isn't a way to use the 1Password extensions right now without the desktop app installed, which means ChromeBook isn't supported for the moment. It is possible to use 1Password Families website in Chrome to copy/paste for now.

They are working on a better solution, but its probably far out.

Not that far out like in years but should be fairly soon. We're working as fast as we can to make this happen but this wouldn't work on Chromebook anyway.

I'm hoping they open up this new subscription with cloud storage where the browser extensions will communicate directly like LastPass does. If they do this then a local client wouldn't need to be installed so that Chromebook could do that autofilling... Time will tell and can only hope.

:smile: Believe me, that's something on our minds as we continue to work. It wouldn't just be limited to Chromebook, it would be possible on other platforms that we're not yet available on, such as Linux and so on.

This discussion has been closed.