Will 1PF always consider every vault in my 1PF as a shared one?

Options
alvaro87
alvaro87
Community Member

Hello,

First of all, let me begin by saying I would love to get rid of the Overview on 1PF website. I'm starting to hate it as it show useless and overloaded information (for me). I know I have said this before but I don't want the overview window to congratulate me for conquering the quests every time I sign in.

I think showing how many members and vaults we have on our Families account is, indeed, a good idea. But I think you could show it in a different way: using a smaller size, for example.

But what I wanted to ask here is: why does that "Overview" window tell me I have six shared vaults when only one of them is shared? Also, the "Dashboard" section in the Admin Console says they are shared vaults:

Does 1PF say they are shared vaults just because they belong to a 1Password for Families account or is it a bug and should it only show the actual shared vaults? Or does it say I'm sharing six vaults because I'm an organizer?

This is my current scenario with 1PF:

I'm the creator and owner (organizer) of the account and there is only one more person in my Family account: my boyfriend, who is also an organizer. So, there are only two users (organizers).

Me: 1 personal vault, 5 "private" vaults (I know my boyfriend can access them as he is an organizer but those vaults are not "officially" shared with him); and 1 last vault which I share with him.

Him: 1 personal vault and the shared one.

My boyfriend's overview on 1PF website also show he has 6 shared vaults. Why?

By the way, are all your servers working fine? 1Password status page (https://1password.statuspage.io) shows everything is operation but since some minutes ago I'm getting some errors when signing in or navigating through 1PF website:

Regards.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ahoy, @alvaro87!

First of all, let me begin by saying I would love to get rid of the Overview on 1PF website.

Duly noted. I would like to see this as well. It's on the list for the future. :+1:

Does 1PF say they are shared vaults just because they belong to a 1Password for Families account or is it a bug and should it only show the actual shared vaults? Or does it say I'm sharing six vaults because I'm an organizer?

My boyfriend's overview on 1PF website also show he has 6 shared vaults. Why?

My understanding is that it is the former. It should really say "Family Vaults" or "Vaults" instead of "Shared Vaults". Since you and your boyfriend are both family organizers, you are both seeing all the vaults in the account.

By the way, are all your servers working fine? 1Password status page (https://1password.statuspage.io) shows everything is operation but since some minutes ago I'm getting some errors when signing in or navigating through 1PF website:

I know it's been a couple days, but I want to make sure you weren't still having trouble. Do you have any idea how long the error was appearing for you? I am not aware of any other reports of this, but that doesn't mean there wasn't an issue that affected other folks. This is just the first I heard of it.

ref: B5-1486, B5-1547

• alvaro87
    alvaro87
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @khad

My understanding is that it is the former. It should really say "Family Vaults" or "Vaults" instead of "Shared Vaults". Since you and your boyfriend are both family organizers, you are both seeing all the vaults in the account.

I think "Family Vaults" is the best option as, an organizers, we should know how many vaults there are. But it should not say they are shared because there might be vaults which are not shared with us (though we can have access to them as organizers) though you can think of something like this too:

Imagine we are three users (with these fake names): John and Peter (organizers) and Julia (family member).

John has 4 vaults: 1 personal, 2 more he created for his jobs and 1 shared with the rest.
    Peter has 2 vaults: 1 personal and the shared one.
    Julia has 2 vaults: 1 personal and 1 shared.

Overviews (family account overview) could show that information this way:

John's Overview:
    Number of vaults:
    Personal: 3
    Custom: 2
    Shared: 1
    Total amount of vaults in the Family: 6

Peter's Overview:
    Number of vaults:
    Personal: 3
    Custom: 2
    Shared: 1
    Total amount of vaults in the Family: 6

Julia's Overview:
    Number of vaults:
    Personal 1:
    Shared 1

Or something like that. Overview should be different if I'm an organizer os just a family member. For example, if Peter's clicks on "Custom", as he is an organizer, a small windows would appear listing those custom vaults (who created and the name, for example).

Anyway, if this is too complicated, organizers should know the total amount of vaults, if they are theirs, shared or created by other organizers.

I know it's been a couple days, but I want to make sure you weren't still having trouble. Do you have any idea how long the error was appearing for you? I am not aware of any other reports of this, but that doesn't mean there wasn't an issue that affected other folks. This is just the first I heard of it.

Everything is working fine now ;), thank you

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alvaro87,

Agreed! Thanks for following up on this, and I'm glad things are working well again for you to sign in. Do let us know if you have any other trouble.

This discussion has been closed.