1PF asks me to save an Emergency Kit whenever I clean my browser cache, cookies,... and more

alvaro87
alvaro87
Community Member

Hello,

Whenever I clean my browser cache, cookies, etc., and then I sign in on 1PF, my "beloved" Overview tells me I have one more quest to conquest: saving my emergency kit. And it won't disappear until I save it again.

Is this a bug?

And, of course, after signing in, I receive and e-mail telling me I have signed in from a new browser/device etc. And this creates a new device on my "Authorized devices" section of my Profile page.

I remember reading a thread on this forum about this device issue and about creating options to unauthorized them. Until we get there, the Authorized devices section is messy.. It's just a list of devices/browsers where I've signed in (even if they are the same). It helps to know where your account has been used but, could we manually delete (not authorize because that hasn't been yet implemented) the duplicated devices/browsers?

Regards.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

@alvaro87,

Authorizing a device (or browser in this case) is essentially defined as "storing your Account Key on that device" (again, in this case, specifically storing it in your browser). When you reset your browser, you wipe out the Account Key, so you need to authorize your browser again. The Emergency Kit is also created locally — not downloaded from our server, since it contains your Account Key, and your Account Key is never stored on our server. So for all the web app knows, you never downloaded your Emergency Kit. Perhaps we can store a flag somewhere, though, that says "I've got my Emergency Kit, thank you very much".

I'm not sure that there is a reliable way to determine when the exact same browser on the exact same computer is authorized a second time, or, even if there is, that it would be good to "reuse" an authorization spot in that list. (We're sandboxed and don't have much to go on. We can't find the computer name, for example.)

I think the solution is to allow you to de-authorize devices/browser, and that's on our list for a future update. :)
    ref: B5-1122, B5-889

• alvaro87
    alvaro87
    Community Member

@khad

Thank you very much for your clarification. Now I'm understand it better

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Always a pleasure!

This discussion has been closed.