Considering purchase. What do you do when you're on a computer that doesn't have the app installed?

zrowgz
zrowgz
Community Member

So, I'm interested in the idea of having such secure and readily changeable passwords for protection and convenience. I understand that you can have it populate the logins for devices that have 1password on it. What about when you're on a different computer or device, like a friend's, a public computer, or any number of locations? Then do you somehow need to recall the extremely secure password that was generated?

Also, I'm confused by how this populates entries. Just having the program installed allows it to automatically fill in websites as you go, or do you have to open it, recall the correct site, do something through the program, etc...

If you purchase this for OS X, is it free to download it on all the other devices that I have?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

Hi @zrowgz,

I've moved your query to our section of the forums titled Families because I feel this is going to be what you're looking for in the end.

Basically up until very recently 1Password stored everything locally unless you instructed it to sync to the likes of iCloud or Dropbox.

If you want to control where your data is stored such that it's only accessible on your devices where you have 1Password installed then our standalone licences are one route. If you purchase a licence from us it allows you to run 1Password on both the Mac and Windows on as many machines as you personally own. You can download 1Password for iOS which follows the freemium model, the basic features are free but there are some Pro features behind a one-off, in-app purchase and it's a similar situation on Android. To access your data on a new device it would mean installing 1Password and downloading your sync data - which eliminates accessing the data directly from a public computer.

Another route is that of 1Password Families. It's a subscription service where we host your data. You get access to 1Password on all platforms (we're still working on getting 1Password Families for Windows ready) but your vaults can be accessed via a web browser too meaning you can always have access assuming you know your email address, account key and Master Password. If you want to access your vaults once from a machine you don't own this is the only real route.

As for filling. We won't fill anything automatically, you have to instruct 1Password to fill. One way is to visit the login page for the site you want to log into and then use the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ (ctrl + \ on Windows). 1Password will find your Login item in your vault and fill using it. Another way is to locate the Login item in your vault and click on the URL stored in the website field. 1Password will pass the URL to your preferred browser and once the page has loaded it will then fill using that same Login item. On Mac and Windows both require the application and our browser extension to be installed. The browser extension is the bridge between the browser and the application and the application is what tells the extension what to fill and where.

It's slightly different on mobile devices but they essentially work the same.

So that's a brief overview. You'll probably have a number of questions so please do ask so we can answer them as best we can.

This discussion has been closed.