Trouble enabling 1PW keyboard

Options
marty48
marty48
Community Member

I have a Moto G3 (2015) mobile with Android Marshmallow. Following the instructions in https://support.1password.com/ebooks/android/onepassword-android-user-guide.pdf "Filling" and "How to fill a login in to an app or browser", I am not able to enable the 1PW keyboard. The article states that manual filling requires this keyboard and that enabling of this keyboard is evidenced by a 1PW key that should be gray for manual filling. On the Android screen, the Google US keyboard is grayed out in the on position even when 1PW keyboard is switched to on. To me this implies that the native Android keyboard is not being over ridden by choosing the 1 PW keyboard. Manual filling OK for my purposes but I don't see the 1PW key at all - but then again I don't believe it is enabled. And what is that key icon that is seen after tapping the URL for the login website? Sadly, the 1PW Android version 6 is frustratingly tedious to use compared to the desktop version which is intuitive. I hope your answer will make it possible for me to log into an app such as Angie's list. The whole 1PW android app experience makes my head explode. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:auto filling android app, kb:http-authentication, kb:configure-webroot-secureanywhere, kb:repair-vault, kb:android-automatic-filling

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @marty48. Thanks for getting in touch with us.

First things first, for automatic filling, you'll also need to enable the 1Password accessibility service from your device Settings > Accessibility. Then it sounds like you've enabled the 1Password keyboard, but haven't switched to it. Type on any text field so that the keyboard pops up. You should see a little keyboard icon appear at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Tap that and you should see the list of available keyboard. Select the 1Password keyboard and you should now see the 1Password button next to the space bar. To switch back to your preferred keyboard quickly after filling, just long press on the space bar from the 1Password keyboard to bring up your keyboard options.

That said, filling using the keyboard works with third-party apps and browsers. When you tap a URL from within 1Password, it will open the link in the built-in 1Browser. This will automatically fill your login credentials for you, so you don't need to use the keyboard with this browser. The key icon you see will fill your information into a site in the 1Browser.

I hope this clarifies things for you! Let us know if you have more questions!

• marty48
    marty48
    Community Member
    Options

I understand sort of. Although I now know how to access it, I don't get the purpose of the 1PW keyboard

Some of the websites I use seem OK and are auto filling. A problem I noted on Angie's List is that there is no button to log out of the website. This is an Angie's problem I believe and I contacted them. The Angie's list app on Google Play doesn't have this issue. How would I use the Android Angie's List app with 1PW? Manual or autofill is acceptable. It would seem this might be possible if 1PW didn't log off by itself when I start the app. I am assuming that Angie's list app is the type of app you are referring to as 3rd party. Am I wrong?

Also In the Android app, is there no automatic "recording" of the website's user name and password as in the desktop version. Is this a correct statement? Thank you.

• saad
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @marty48,

When you tap on a URL in the main 1Password app, you perform a Go & Fill action in the 1Browser. A Go & Fill action takes you to the website of the Login item and then fills your username and password there. The 1Browser is a web viewer inside 1Password.

When you want to fill in other apps and browsers, like Angie’s List app or on Google Chrome, the 1Password keyboard comes to rescue. The 1Password keyboard allows you to fill your logins anywhere an input is permitted. This can be done outside of the main 1Password app and into other apps on your device.

Let me help walk you through signing into the Angie’s List app using the 1Password keyboard. Follow these instructions:

1. Launch Angie’s List app on your device
    2. Go to the sign in page in the app
    3. If you are not already, switch to the 1Password keyboard by long-pressing the spacebar
    4. Observe if the 1Password icon in the keyboard glows blue. If it does, it means automatic filling is available and you can open the filling interface by tapping on the icon. If it does not glow blue, it means automatic filling is not available and you can open the filling interface for manual filling by long-pressing on the icon.

5. Launch the filling interface and tap on your login for Angie’s List

6. Perform manual or automatic filling

Let me know if you are able to fill your login information in the app now. If not, let me know which step you are having trouble in. Let’s continue from there! :)

This discussion has been closed.