I have many questions. wondering about 1password for families.

Options
waldhaus1
waldhaus1
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Families

Long time 1password user and considering 1password families but I don't yet understand the details of how it works. The introductory video seemed quite superficial.

My wife and I both use 1password (separate accounts.) Both iOS and MacOS. I am generally the tech support in our family so I would be starting the family account and inviting her.
Can we each keep separate personal vaults in the family account with the same master passwords we used to use or will we both be accessing the family account with the same master password.
It seems we can each maintain a personal vault - will they have our names on them and would I be able to access her personal account from my device and open her account using her master password?
If the family account has the same master password as my personal account is that the password my wife would need to enter to get at her vault or would she be able to click on the vault she is interested in a and then get at her data?
If the family account password and my personal vault password are the same does that mean effectively anyone entering the master vault password has access to all my personal passwords?
If we have a shared vault will that have yet another password? It is beginning to seem like I am boing to have very many passwords to memorize or write down, defeating the purpose of a secure password vault.
I wish there was somewhere I could go to just read about how it works instead of the hints given on the website.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• waldhaus1
    waldhaus1
    Community Member
    Options

This was meant for 1password families.
    I clicked on the help link on the page about 1password families and that ended up posting on the 1password mac page.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @waldhaus1,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'd be happy to answer your questions.

Once you sign up for 1Password Families, you have a family account, and you are the only person in that account. Then you invite your wife, and she creates her own account that is part of that family.

With 1Password Families, there is no such thing as a vault password. There is just your account password.

You have your ONE Master Password. She has her ONE Master Password. Separate users with separate Master Passwords. But each person only needs to remember their ONE Master Password to access all the vaults in their account. If you are an existing 1Password user, simply use your existing Master Password when you create your account. That way you don't have to remember anything new.

• When you sign in, you each have your own Personal vault that is private to each of you. You can't see hers and she can't see yours.

• You also have a Shared vault that is available to everyone who is part of your family. Any items you put in the Shared vault will be available to your wife and vice versa. If you add other family members, they will also be able to view, edit, and add items in the Shared vault (and also get their own Personal vault).

If you wanted to keep everything in the Shared vault, you can do that. You can also create additional vaults to share with only certain people if you like. But I would recommend saving that discussion until after you signed up to try it for yourself.

It is completely free to try, so rather than trying to speak about it abstractly, you can create a family account and see how it works for yourself. Then it will be much easier to understand since it will be right in front of you. :)

We have actually designed the sign-up process to walk you through everything you need to know as you are doing it. Each step along the way, 1Password Families will guide you through what you need to do next. We even have Quests built-in that lead you through important steps like inviting another family member. That way you can't miss anything.

If you have any additional questions, though, please don't hesitate to let me know.

• waldhaus1
    waldhaus1
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. That is helpful.
    I was hesitant to sign up for fear of jeopardizing my data.
    Looks like it won't be a problem.
    It does appear that is the direction that your development is going.

• waldhaus1
    waldhaus1
    Community Member
    Options

Another question:
    When I move items into a shared vault I have the option of either moving it or copying it.
    If I copy it and then later edit in either the primary or shared vault will the edit show up in both locations?

• waldhaus1
    waldhaus1
    Community Member
    Options

I did a test with a secure note.
    I created it in the primary vault and moved it to a shared vault.
    In the shared vault I edited the note.
    The edit hasn't shown up in the primary vault so far.
    It does show up in the shared vault both on the primary computer and on another machine.
    It seems if a login is edited it needs to be edited in all the vaults it is stored in or alternatively would be stored in only one vault.

• waldhaus1
    waldhaus1
    Community Member
    Options

If one selects the all vaults option when editing an entry it does show up all copies of the entry and indicates which vault each is stored in.
    I suspect the best way to avoid confusion is to move rather than copy entries, and when if you can't remember which vault a particular item is stored in display all vaults.
    I think migrating to families is going to get me to do some house cleaning and get rid of old and out of date entries.
    While it will make it easier to keep items common to my wife and myself in synch it will require paying attention to which vault certain items such as credit cards are stored in.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @waldhaus1,

I'm glad to see you're already enjoying 1Password Families!You should never worry about 1Password losing your Data, that you can be completely sure of!

You are right: If you decide to copy an item you'll be creating a new item that is from then on independent from the original one. In general you'll be better off moving items rather than copying them! In my personal experience, keeping 1Password on "All Vaults" makes using it the easiest!

Please let us know if you have any more questions! :chuffed:

• waldhaus1
    waldhaus1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks
    I see now the main value of copying would be to create a vault that was a local backup.
    Probably unnecessary, but it would be a use case.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@waldhaus1 yep, that is one use-case! It's also handy for people who are just dipping their toes into 1Password Families, or want to share login information with someone while keeping a copy in their own personal vault as a backup. The possibilities... well, they aren't endless, but they're certainly interesting!

This discussion has been closed.