"Unfiled" Smart Folder

2»

Comments

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member
    edited June 2011
    Yes, Khad, I would appreciate help in creating an "Unfiled" Smart Folder. I know how to create a basic Smart Folder, although I've never had any use for one until now, but I don't know how to create one that would receive only new items, as the original "Unfiled" did. Thanks.

[One hour later]: I've got it now, Khad. I had misunderstood roustem's example earlier; it was so simple that I thought it was incomplete. It works fine. Thanks, again, and thanks to roustem, too.
  • On behalf of Khad and Roustem, you are very welcome!

I'm glad you are good to go.

Cheers!
  • Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member
    edited June 2011
    Thanks, y'all. I appreciate it.

I would like, however, to repeat that I think the original (default) "Unfiled" Smart Folder was a very good thing, *especially* for inexperienced users.

Thanks, again.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for suggesting this again, Guffee! I have already passed this along to the developers on your behalf. :-)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

We are always here to help!
  • jwiegley
    jwiegley
    Community Member
    Hello,

I'm not sure when this happened, but I no longer have an "uncategorized" smart folder. Just the "All" smart folder. How can I get the other one back?

Thanks,
    John
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey John,

I merged your post with the appropriate thread. Please see above and let me know if you have any additional questions!

Cheers,
  • sfross
    sfross
    Community Member
    I asked about this previously but haven't seen an answer or anything related to this. In the desktop version, with the latest update, the Unfiled folder is missing. Why? When adding a login in Safari, the 1Password dialog box used to ask if I wanted to save the login info and gave the option to choose a category. If I didn't choose a category, it automatically went to Unfiled, and I edited the entry later. Now I don't know where a new login is located or how to give it a category.

Help?

Sheri
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey Sheri,

I merged your post with the appropriate thread. Please see above for instructions on how to recreate the folder and let me know if you have any additional questions!

Cheers,
  • sfross
    sfross
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Hey Sheri,

I merged your post with the appropriate thread. Please see above for instructions on how to recreate the folder and let me know if you have any additional questions!

Cheers,

Sorry, but I'm still totally confused. It used to seem that the Unfiled folder was included by default; I didn't know it was considered a smart folder. When I try to create a smart folder (which I've never done before) an existing login shows up on the screen. So, it looks as if the new smart folder is based on the login that's showing at the time. Maybe I'm going about it all wrong? I know it's explained above how to create the Unfiled smart folder but it appears I'm missing something as to how to do it. Would you please explain in an even more elementary manner?

Also, since the save login dialog in Safari doesn't show an option for a folder for the new login, where does it go? I've done a couple of new logins as tests, have saved them in 1Password in Safari, but when I go back to 1Password on my Mac, I can't find the new logins. Without a choice for a folder when a login is saved, where does the login go? I tried scanning all of my logins alphabetically but I don't see the new test ones.

Thanks for your continued help.

Sheri
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    You are correct. The "Unfiled" Smart Folder was previously included by default and non-removable. Many users found it confusing, so we removed it. To recreate it, select "New Smart Folder" form the File menu.

20110724-cmhsf1ren8mtk1uxyrtpu5i24r.png

Make sure the search scope is set to "Everything" and "Everywhere". Set the search subject to "Folder", the verb to "is", and leave the predicate blank.

20110724-g7t9rsxqbdcjw7q3sbtti9x69f.png

Then click "Save" and give your new Smart Folder a name. "Unfiled" is probably a good choice. :-)

New logins are not saved in any folder. They should now show up in the "Unfiled" Smart Folder you created since they will not be filed in any folder when they are first created. They will also show up in the "Logins" vault.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers,
  • sfross
    sfross
    Community Member
    edited July 2011
    khad wrote:

You are correct. The "Unfiled" Smart Folder was previously included by default and non-removable. Many users found it confusing, so we removed it. To recreate it, select "New Smart Folder" form the File menu.

Khad:

Thank you so much; I was wondering where the Unfiled folder had disappeared to. The New Smart Folder I created does exactly what the Unfiled folder used to do.

New logins are not saved in any folder. They should now show up in the "Unfiled" Smart Folder you created since they will not be filed in any folder when they are first created. They will also show up in the "Logins" vault.

This explains where to find the newly saved logins; I couldn't figure out where they'd gone. Now I'll know they're in the Unfiled Smart Folder and can file them as needed.

This was very helpful; I really appreciate it.

Sheri
  • gpc
    gpc
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

You are correct. The "Unfiled" Smart Folder was previously included by default and non-removable. Many users found it confusing, so we removed it. To recreate it...

That's very helpful!

Even so, I suggest adding an option in preferences with a checkbox for having an "unfiled" smart folder. I've always found it indispensable for locating recently saved logins that I hadn't yet filed in a specific folder. I'm guessing a lot more users who really want the function would find it in preferences than would happen on "smart folders" and instructions like these about how to create it manually.

(I would even make the box checked as the default, but that's probably a religious war in the making...)
  • gpc wrote:

That's very helpful!

Even so, I suggest adding an option in preferences with a checkbox for having an "unfiled" smart folder. I've always found it indispensable for locating recently saved logins that I hadn't yet filed in a specific folder. I'm guessing a lot more users who really want the function would find it in preferences than would happen on "smart folders" and instructions like these about how to create it manually.

(I would even make the box checked as the default, but that's probably a religious war in the making...)

gpc and srlanza,

On behalf of Khad, you are very welcome!

Glad it works for you!

Cheers!

Brandt
This discussion has been closed.