Fresh Start with families

Options
jalanh
jalanh
Community Member

I feel like after many years of 1password use, my data is a mess of entries no longer used, partial entries with just username or password. To that end, as part of moving to Families I'd like to clean things up. Has anyone found a method to make this easier to accomplish?

One method I've considered moving all my data to an online vault called 'Archived', then as I find I need an entry, move it into an appropriate personal/shared/etc vault.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jalanh: That's actually a really great idea! If you create a new vault called Archived in the 1Password Families web interface, you can restrict it only to yourself (or share it, if you wish), and then move all of your data there using 1Password for Mac. As you say, then you can simply move an item over to your Personal vault as needed, so that you end up with the most frequently used data there.

And if you're thinking of getting rid of the Primary or other local vaults after moving the data to 1Password Families completely, I'm right there with you. Let me know which devices you're using 1Password on and I'll be happy to guide you through getting that setup. :)

• stebeebee
    stebeebee
    Community Member
    Options

How do you go about removing the Primary Vault in 1P on a Mac if you're choosing to exclusively use your Families account with the app? I saw yesterday that this became possible on iOS with the latest version but I have not seen a way to do this on Mac 1P. Is there currently a way or is it something being worked on for an upcoming release?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stebeebee I've recently moved from using 1Password on my own to working with a 1Password Families account (for personal use) and a 1Password for Teams account (for professional use) so I can definitely see the desire to be able to remove the primary account from 1Password for Mac! This is something we're working on for a future release, but I don't want to guess when it might be available, simply because I don't want anyone to be disappointed if that guess is wrong. It is something we've thought about, though :)

• stebeebee
    stebeebee
    Community Member
    Options

@nmott thank you for your speedy reply and the clarification of the current situation. I appreciate that no firm dates can be given and assume that I (we) won't have to wait too long given the history of regular updates 1Password over the years.

• Ben
    Options

Indeed. :) Thanks for the feedback!

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stebeebee: We're actually testing a "local vault demolition" feature (my name for it) in the current beta of 1Password for Mac under Preferences > Advanced, so check it out if you're interested. :)

• stebeebee
    stebeebee
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thank you for this little tip. It's been a while since I've been on the beta trail for Mac 1P...I think you just gave me a good reason to get back on it.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stebeebee, on behalf of brenty, you're very welcome! If you get on board with the beta we'll appreciate your feedback on this new feature! :chuffed:

• stebeebee
    stebeebee
    Community Member
    Options

@Pilar I updated to the latest beta this afternoon and tried out the feature to remove the local vault(s). It worked perfectly fine for me and now I no longer need to keep maniacally clicking on the vault chooser drop down menu hoping that the Primary Vault will just disappear.

One thing to note perhaps, just my humble opinion, is that the setting/option was a little hard to find in the preferences pane. I thought it might have been prominent in the general tab, then thought that it must be in the accounts tab but eventually found it tucked away in the advanced tab. Not a problem really but maybe it will be off-putting for the casual user coming to the app for the first time after signing up for a families account.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stebeebee thanks for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.