Moving Beyond 1PasswordAnywhere discussion

Comments

• DavidLevine
    DavidLevine
    Community Member

@dteare You should also note that doing either of those things is a security risk. That's why it's so difficult to enable.

• You're right @DavidLevine, that is a downside to this approach. It's not a large risk but it indeed opens the door a wee bit.

• s4nji
    s4nji
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Found this wiki page:
    https://github.com/mrdoob/three.js/wiki/How-to-run-things-locally

Summary

Local file access is possible in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. However this opens up some vulnerabilities (don't surf the web with this enabled).

Alternatively, start a webserver; you need to have at least one of the following in your system:
    python / php / ruby / node / mercurial / go

Starting a python webserver is the simplest method.
    Nowadays python is pre-installed in most systems (except windows). The package for windows is only ±25MB in size.

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

I'm sorry if I'm now the pain in this post but:

I agree it would be great to have a single user plan in our new hosted service. It is an idea we've kicked around quite a bit and in time it will become a reality. We're simply early in the process and need time to get there.

It does not look like you care a lot about the customers using 1PasswordAnywhere since you could have seen this coming long before. So removing something and then saying you need time to fix it, isn't an ideal situation. It would have been great to come up with a solution first and then remove a feature. Again, I'm now locked out of every account when I'm at work at my clients or where I can't install software or use my phone.
    I have been to a consulate and you are not allowed to bring your phone or any electronic device with you. Once I was there I had to pull up sensitive information which is only stored in my vault. Lucky enough I was able to open 1PasswordAnywhere and provide the desired information. This is just one scenario, there are a lot more.

It's not a large risk but it indeed opens the door a wee bit.

Opening the door to my browsers security in order to use one of the features that should be the most secure doesn't sound right.

I'm a customer of 1Password since years but now I get asked to pay for something which has been included in the past and that price tag is heavy for a single user. Looking at a recommendation from a user in this thread, I would get, for the same price, 5 years of service with the other application. I hope AgileBits will be able to figure out a solution to this.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Technically, AgileBits did not remove anything. It was Dropbox that removed it. And AgileBits has been saying for ages that 1PW Anywhere was bout to go away. But that does not make much difference to users.

I'm not sure what the situation is if you try out 1PW for Families and then do not subscribe. I believe, but could be wrong, that you could then use a web browser to read your vault, but could not edit or add entries. If I am right, that would cover your scenario and others.

• s4nji
    s4nji
    Community Member

I believe, but could be wrong, that you could then use a web browser to read your vault, but could not edit or add entries. If I am right, that would cover your scenario and others.

Seems to be true, the following is quoted from 1Password Families page:

What happens if my subscription lapses?

You will never be locked out of your account or your data. If your subscription ends, you will still be able to access, view and export all your data. You just won’t be able to add new items or edit them.

• DavidLevine
    DavidLevine
    Community Member

@danco Let's make some things clear. The only place that 1Password has been talking about dropping 1PasswordAnywhere support is on these forums. First and foremost, these are support forums. The majority of users do not browse these forums looking for things to read. Instead, they visit the forums and post when support is needed. I only found this thread after creating a post that I could no longer open 1PasswordAnywhere from Dropbox. Then someone posted a link to this thread.

As I have said before, Agile Bits should have emailed customers letting them know that 1PasswordAnywhere would be sunsetted. Smile did this with TextExpander users when they released TextExpander 4. It's not rocket science. It's common courtesy.

• EazyE
    EazyE
    Community Member

So... Chromebook user here. Any options for us? Is calling up passwords on my phone and typing them in manually the only way?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2016

@EazyE,

Both 1Password Families and 1Password Teams have web interfaces that can be accessed from ChromeOS:

Families - 1Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

• TPLZ
    TPLZ
    Community Member

I just found out today about this loss of 1password.anywhere functionality. I would have really appreciated an email sent out to registered purchasers of 1password 3 as I had no idea this change occured and have spent over an hour trying to fix what I believed to be corrupt data or a user error on my end.

So based on bwoodruff's comment above, our best option for chromebook users at this point is to "buy our $60 a year program for the rest of the time you want to access your passwords." Can anyone else recommend a free alternative? Can you open html files locally in chrome os?

• nol
    nol
    Community Member

It would be great if AgileBits Team could avoid pushing Family member plans since this is not a solution.
    I paid for 1password some time ago and now I am forced to pay a yearly subscription for families even that I am one person. $60 a year without any new additional features beside the handling of my imaginary family members.
    LastPass is $12 a year with the same features this really makes me think switching. Please stop about saying you have to figure out things since everything is new. You know what was coming up and it is EASY to create just a plan for single persons. Make it same as LastPass and all is good. I recommended you to my friends etc and now they are pissed at me asking what I recommended since they can't use he web version etc. Danco, creating subscription and canceling it is no solution, how should I add new things?
    Its not easy AgileBits, with new Family plan we have to trust you that you have great security features to host our database since we do not host it any linger on Dropbox which might have bigger security standards and bigger team to protect our data. However, I would risk it just for the sake of having web access back

• calipedro
    calipedro
    Community Member

Its really sad seeing that 1PasswordAnywhere is not working anymore. It was my Nr1 backup solution for example when im traveling, my computer and or phone gets stolen or breaks and I need access to my vital information in the 1passwort vault. Logging into any computer browse to my dropbox and have access there if all my devices are gone would be a life saver!!

Sure I can understand that software is changing over time to make progress, but i think in this case (at least for me) its a step backwards. And just switching to a family plan because I want to use the online system is just not a valuable option for a single person like me.

• Scott Bale
    Scott Bale
    Community Member

Fwiw just want to +1 what others have already said: I've been a satisfied 1Password customer for years now. I'm also a heavy user of my Chromebook, in which 1PasswordAnywhere has been the only solution so far. I've just now stumbled onto this forum thread after googling around to see why it is no longer working. Could this really not have been announced to existing customers proactively?

The suggested workarounds are laughable. Any suggestion that involves loading a password on my mobile device and hand-copying it into my Chromebook is simply a big steaming pile of Fail.

I'm not a marketing person but isn't this customer service 101? Don't take something away from your customers that they've grown dependent on. It would have been better if you had never offered it in the first place.

• It would have been better if you had never offered it in the first place.

Perhaps. But 1PasswordAnywhere was originally designed as a stopgap solution to access 1Password data from Windows, before we had a 1Password for Windows product. It worked well enough at that time and for that purpose. Maybe we should have killed it off when we launched 1Password for Windows, but then we probably would've gotten some of the same complaints: "you mean I have to now pay for something I was getting for free before?" Of course the fully featured Windows product was not "something [folks were] getting for free before," but that is the same argument folks are making here.

So, yes, I suppose it could be argued that it is better to just make folks wait for the ultimate solution rather than offering stopgap ones.

Personally I'd almost always rather offer a solution that may not be ideal but may work in the mean time. There are exceptions, of course.

Ben

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

Ben, I'm not sure where the product has been a stopgap. At least I was not aware of it when I bought 1Password since I'm only on a Mac. For me it was a backup solution for situations where I don't have access to my phone or Mac at home.
    I wouldn't compare it with a fully feature rich windows version. 1PasswordAnywhere couldn't do anything just showing your vault. So in my eyes it is not a product I received for free, it is just a feature which has been there when I bought the product.
    I understand some members here. It is indeed am expensive move. For those member that don't require a family plan it is like drowning my pockets. I paid sum X some time ago and now it is the full price each year with no additional features. So at the end I pay three times more for a feature to keep which I already bought.
    It is not like with any other software which I'm able to keep running, nope, I've been cut out of the most trusted program I use from one day to another with no real solution but paying more. It feels like those reported viruses on Windows which block your PC until you pay them money to unblock it.
    I really hope AgileBits comes up with a real solution for individuals.

• DavidLevine
    DavidLevine
    Community Member

My biggest issue with this is not the choice to stop supporting it. It's the fact the decision was not properly communicated ahead of time.

Unfortunately, AgileBits can't travel back in time and correct the lack of communication. As a sincere apology to those of us who depended on 1PasswordAnywhere, AgileBits could give us 6 months free to use 1Password for Families. It would be a nice way for AgileBits to show that it cares about its customers and wants to make things right.

• EazyE
    EazyE
    Community Member

Thanks @bwoodruff , I'll give Families a try!

I've recently switched to 1Password after using LastPass for many years, and I agree with others that $60/yr seems a bit steep for one person when Lastpass is only $12/yr. But I am willing to pay more for a better user experience, and if I can actually get more of my family on board, then pretty soon it comes out about the same as LastPass.

So after giving it some thought, I'm really ok with the $5/mo pricing. I'd be interested to hear the conversations that led to that rather than e.g. $3/mo for up to 3 users. :) How much is it about your cost structure and how much is just trying to find the sweet spot of revenue per user?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It is not like with any other software which I'm able to keep running, nope, I've been cut out of the most trusted program I use from one day to another with no real solution but paying more. It feels like those reported viruses on Windows which block your PC until you pay them money to unblock it. I really hope AgileBits comes up with a real solution for individuals.

@NickRo: I too would like to see a "1Password for Awesome Individuals" or something similar. It's something that's on our mind here at AgileBits too, but as mentioned previously, we feel it's important to finish 1Password Teams and, even more importantly, Windows support — especially since that will be something a lot of potential "Awesome Individuals" users will need.

While I understand where you're coming from, I feel that the "antivirus" analogy doesn't really hold up. We didn't change 1PasswordAnywhere after the launch of 1Password Teams/Families to deny access and put up a nag screen to get people to pay a subscription. But both browsers and Dropbox have had to make changes over the years to respond to the changing security landscape, and 1PasswordAnywhere is simply a casualty of these important changes.

And if you're a long-time 1PasswordAnywhere user, you'll have noticed many times in the past where it simply stopped working for days at a time, as evidenced by a number of previous discussions in this forum. It was only a matter of time before it stopped working entirely.

My biggest issue with this is not the choice to stop supporting it. It's the fact the decision was not properly communicated ahead of time.
    Unfortunately, AgileBits can't travel back in time and correct the lack of communication. As a sincere apology to those of us who depended on 1PasswordAnywhere, AgileBits could give us 6 months free to use 1Password for Families. It would be a nice way for AgileBits to show that it cares about its customers and wants to make things right.

@DavidLevine: This is a fair point. Why didn't we send out a mass email about this? I think you might immediately see why when it's framed that way.

First and foremost, most people don't use 1PasswordAnywhere and would be confused and annoyed by such a thing. And significantly, we don't necessarily even have your email address in the first place. Many people don't use their personal email addresses when purchasing software (and would perhaps never see the email); other bought it through Apple or Google and we don't know who they are; and most importantly, we don't send newsletters or announcements to anyone who hasn't opted-in to them. We don't like it when we get unsolicited email either, and while it's clear that you would have wanted an email from us about this, strictly speaking we don't have a reasonable way of getting this information only to those who would benefit from it. And the alternative is unacceptable to us — and perhaps to you in all circumstances but this one.

I've recently switched to 1Password after using LastPass for many years, and I agree with others that $60/yr seems a bit steep for one person when Lastpass is only $12/yr. But I am willing to pay more for a better user experience, and if I can actually get more of my family on board, then pretty soon it comes out about the same as LastPass.
    So after giving it some thought, I'm really ok with the $5/mo pricing. I'd be interested to hear the conversations that led to that rather than e.g. $3/mo for up to 3 users. :) How much is it about your cost structure and how much is just trying to find the sweet spot of revenue per user?

@EazyE: I think this gets us a bit off topic, so be sure to start a new discussion if you'd like to go further in depth. Try it for a month for free and you should have a good idea of 1Password Families. And at that point you can opt for the annual plan to save some money, rather than paying monthly. Honestly, at 5$ per month, a Family subscription for 5 people is the baseline for the costs associated with development, support, and hosting. For what we offer, the math at 3$ for 3 just doesn't work, though we're optimistic that we'll be able to find a sweet spot for "Awesome Individuals" in the future. :)

• DavidLevine
    DavidLevine
    Community Member

@brenty AgileBits want to consider starting a newsletter that people can subscribe to and keep up to date with new features. Other companies, such as Smile does this. I've received emails from AgileBits in the past regarding 1Password, so I've obviously signed up for something. This wasn't even communicated on Twitter and I'm sure it wasn't on Facebook either. The only place this change was communicated is on a support forum.

Please don't make this mistake in the future. Do something now so you can easily communicate changes, features, and offerings to customers.

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

@brenty In my shoes, the analogy fits perfect since I just can't use it and the only thing is paying a higher fee for no additional features. 1PasswordAnywhere wasn't perfect but it was a feature which I related to and one of the most important decision points. I didn't notice any issues with it, maybe I have been lucky at those days that I didn't need it.
    You keep an eye on a new product, like Windows and Teams but don't care for the "awesome" individuals. Sorry but in my eyes you should focus on a great transition first before moving to the next thing.
    From what I read in the post is, you can't lower the price for individuals because of the cost for hosting and development. See, now those people who don't need family or team plans have to cover the cost for those new products. And frankly, a different product is able to keep pricing to a fair level. Make it $3 not for 3 but for 1 looks good to me. Still an increase but well, a fair share between both, the company and the "awesome" individuals.
    I just don't get it why AgileBits didn't thought about their existing customers first before getting on the new things.

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

I just gave families a try and see it does not work as 1PasswordAnywhere. Why? Now you require the Account key each time you login from a new device. Sorry but how should that work if you use multiple different devices when you are on a journey or similar?

Long story I take away from this post, I try to be objective here beside my frustration:
    1. AgileBits didn't thought about existing clients which are just individuals
    2. Feature has been removed (signing-in via Dropbox)
    3. Missing communication
    4. Easy use has been removed (now you require an additional key)
    5. There is no plan for individuals
    6. There is no additional feature for individuals
    7. It is more expensive for individuals
    8. AgileBits seems to not care a lot since the focus is currently on families and Windows (Some people can't wait weeks...)

I'm sorry to see where this has gone. I was praising 1Password a lot over the years but now I can't anymore. I'm not angry but sad about this.

• tanwald
    tanwald
    Community Member

Before I bought 1Password I've asked your support if there is a possibility to access my keychain on Linux. I got the answer that I can "always" access it from "anywhere" with 1PasswordAnywhere.

For me one of the key features or main reasons to buy two expensive Apps (OSX/iOS) is gone and the alternatives that you recommend are anything but "awesome" (as you keep praising in your newsletters):

• Making your browser vulnerable
    • Being dependent on certain devices
    • Develop or set up your own solution
    • Spending 60$ each year for features you don't need to keep one feature you've already had and spent 60$ for
    • Using weaker passwords to be able to transcribe them from your mobile device - come on, are you serious?

For me the only fair solution would be a free account that provides the same features 1PasswordAnywhere did i.e. access your personal vault online and update it with your paid apps. With another major release for 60$ + 10$ I'm sure you can afford to store 500KB on your servers and maybe some happy customers will decide to stick with 1Password for a paid team solution. Otherwise many people might consider "awsome" free multi-platform solutions which are at least as user-friendly as the solutions you come up with. Your advantage is promotion. I wouldn't risk that.

Regards

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

Before I bought 1Password I've asked your support if there is a possibility to access my keychain on Linux. I got the answer that I can "always" access it from "anywhere" with 1PasswordAnywhere.

@tanwald: This is still true, though it isn't something I'd recommend due to the security implications mentioned above. The fact is that 1PasswordAnywhere works the same as it always has: it requires a server to host it. It's simply not possible for Dropbox to serve this function any longer, but you can certainly use an alternative method.

This wasn't even communicated on Twitter and I'm sure it wasn't on Facebook either. The only place this change was communicated is on a support forum.

@DavidLevine: I appreciate your position, but keep in mind that we didn't make a change to 1PasswordAnywhere. Your suggestion would be like sending out a mass email to announce that 1Password 3 is incompatible with some changes in El Capitan.

You keep an eye on a new product, like Windows and Teams but don't care for the "awesome" individuals. Sorry but in my eyes you should focus on a great transition first before moving to the next thing.

@NickRo: I'm not sure which transition you're referring to. If you mean Dropbox making changes to their server configurations that are important for them going forward, that just isn't up to us, and we absolutely don't begrudge them doing what's best for their platform. They've always been tremendously gracious and supportive.

From what I read in the post is, you can't lower the price for individuals because of the cost for hosting and development. See, now those people who don't need family or team plans have to cover the cost for those new products.

That really doesn't make sense to me. Any software product has a cost associated with development and support. Regardless of how many people use your Mac, it costs the same to make the OS and hardware. I don't see how this is subsidizing anyone. It's simply the reality.

I'm not in a position to know, but if Apple gets flak for charging the same for an app whether it's only used by a single individual or by many via Family Sharing I'd be pretty surprised. 1Password Families being available for up to 5 family members for the same price is a good thing. 1Password Teams is 5$ for 1 person. We're simply able to offer 4 more with 1Password Families for the same price given its simplified featureset.

And frankly, a different product is able to keep pricing to a fair level. Make it $3 not for 3 but for 1 looks good to me. Still an increase but well, a fair share between both, the company and the "awesome" individuals. I just don't get it why AgileBits didn't thought about their existing customers first before getting on the new things.

To be clear, we didn't host 1PasswordAnywhere for you for free, nor can we sustainably do that (or something similar) now.

We think of our existing customers and interact with them every day. 1Password 6 came out just a few months ago, and was free for all existing customers. We've got even more exciting things planned for the future as well. If we looked only to the past, none of that would or will come to fruition.

We haven't taken anything away from you, and we're continually working on more great things for all of our awesome customers. If we didn't practice that philosophy, 1PasswordAnywhere never would have existed in the first place, after all. Technology moves forward, so we need to "skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been," both for our own sake and for our customers.

• DavidLevine
    DavidLevine
    Community Member

@brenty You did not make a change to the 1PasswordAnywhere product, but AgileBits changed the support status of it from "yes" to "no," impacting many people. As AgileBits can see from this one forum thread alone, many people depended on 1PasswordAnywhere.

It's almost laughable that AgileBits does not see the issue with how this was handled. People on the forum that are either moderators or work for AgileBits defend the lack of communication and keep suggesting a $60/year solution.

At the end of the day, the lack of communication is poor customer service and should be seen as such.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DavidLevine: We're open to suggestions, but unsolicited mass email isn't something many would find acceptable. We certainly don't. Is there a better solution? Perhaps, but I'm not sure what it might be.

As far as support status, the "no" isn't "no we don't care or support our customers". Were that the case you and I wouldn't be having this discussion about it. The answer would simply be "no", or there would be no response at all, as I often encounter when dealing with legacy software.

And us saying "No, 1PasswordAnywhere isn't supported" has no effect on whether or not 1PasswordAnywhere works for anyone. For those using Dropbox, it doesn't; for those using other hosting, it does. Rather, this statement is a recognition of the reality that the landscape has changed to the point where it simply doesn't function the way it used to: with local file access restrictions in place in browsers, it requires a server, and Dropbox can no longer fill that role.

To say "Yes" would be disingenuous. It simply cannot function under the same conditions any longer because those conditions no longer exist, and we're not going to lie to anyone and say otherwise. I'm sorry I don't have a more palatable answer for you, but it's the truth. :(

• DavidLevine
    DavidLevine
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for the discussion. We will just have to agree to disagree.

• nol
    nol
    Community Member

Oh dear people of AgileBits.
    Why you do so complicate? It would be greate if you could acknowledge issue and act for it.
    I read all comments but you always say: We do not anything, Dropbox changed.
    This is your product and if it is not compatible with widely used plattform, you have to tell customers. If your product become not compatible with El Captan, you have to say this. People want this email or do you do not want information about product you paid for?
    You advertised Anywhere as feature to old version and not as a soltuion which will go away. Now, you have solution without Dropbox but want more money for it.
    No matter how you say, people have buyed 1Password because of Anywhere as well. Not as option.

The thin you bring up with family and team and apple:
    1. Apple does not bring only family plan, they have individual plan as well, no?
    2. If you go restaurant for eating and they give you only plate for individual price but offer you fork and knife to eat it but only for more money but your family is included. You do not have family at this time, do you think this fair to pay more even if you are alone?
    3. You bring Apple as example, ok, as designer, I get Photoshop for very little bit more than $5 but I have really more for money than 1Password. I do not think you do rocket science.
    Current pricing is overpriced. You are charging too much money. You do not charge the work you deliver, which is storing encrpted text on Amazon but you charge because what I store is important to me. My database is not big <50MB and Amazon storeage is dirty cheape. Please do not say you have more cost because of hosting.
    No individual cares how much he gets for $5 if he is alone. Do not you see this?

All everyone in this topic (and this many viewers) want is solution. Not talking things like "Dropbox changed" "We still offer same" "Go Famliy plan", no, we want real solution. We need your tool but I am thinking about moving to LastPass. That is $12 year, they can do it not sure why you say you need covering more cost.
    Simple, charge Teams more. They are businesses using your product, they have money.

You say you talk with existing cusotmer, no AgileBits talk to me before this. And it look to me like you no care because you try to not see our points here. Just replying to posts is not "help" it shows public there is activity but we need solutione.

And one thing, you now are writing in a way that makes us look dumb. We know that landscape has change. Again, you advertised this as feature now you have soltuione (web access) but only if you pay more money. Remove 4 members and give web access to old customers and all good. Simple. Or make a $12/year plan like other company or even make $20 but not $60.

I am sorry if I offend anyone here or if someone is thinking I am not speaking for them.

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

@brenty
    Thank you for your messages but it seems we both see things differently. Me as the customer, you as the employee of the company.
    It's still the same situation - we have to pay more to get a web front-end for our vault, even if we are not a family and might not need shared vaults. And yes, while 1PasswordAnywhere might have been a temporary solution, this hasn't been communicated with those people buying it. You knew Dropbox would discontinue the service at some point - we, as the customer didn't knew that a feature we need would be removed. I say removed because all other "workarounds" are no real solution.
    Anyway I think all important things have been brought up by several people and I leave this conversation since we clearly don't find together.

• nol
    nol
    Community Member

Now that we’ve outed some of 1Password 3’s hottest new features, it’s time to start exploring some of them in our Feature Spotlight series. First up is one of our most-requested features: 1PasswordAnywhere.

It is feature not something which should not be built.

1Password is a Mac application, but what about the times when you’re visiting that one family member for the holidays who hasn’t switched yet, and you need your webmail password? Maybe you’re on Linux at work, or simply someone else’s Mac, and you need to quickly look up some FTP credentials or a Secure Note? If you don’t sync 1Password with one of our 1Password touch apps for iPhone and iPod touch, 1PasswordAnywhere has you covered.

That is why I buyed

In a nut, 1PasswordAnywhere is your 1Password home away from 1Password.

Not any more.

Read here https://blog.agilebits.com/2009/09/15/450848149/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Now that we’ve outed some of 1Password 3’s hottest new features, it’s time to start exploring some of them in our Feature Spotlight series. First up is one of our most-requested features: 1PasswordAnywhere.

It is feature not something which should not be built.

@nol: As Dave mentioned a number of times here already, 1PasswordAnywhere was created to allow folks to access their 1Password vault (singular — 1Password only supported one back then) on a PC since we didn't have a Windows version in 2009.

That is why I buyed

I understand that. However, you're probably not using 1Password 3 or Snow Leopard anymore. Both the app and the OS have moved on. Similarly, Dropbox has changed a great deal since 2009, and I know I appreciate the additional features they've added over the years. 1PasswordAnywhere is the same, but the technology landscape is different, and we've all been the beneficiaries of that.

Indeed. iDisk no longer even exists. It is possible to use 1PasswordAnywhere even now, but it still requires a host to serve the data and Dropbox can no longer fill that role, just like iDisk cannot.

This discussion has been closed.