Failing to synch. No notification of failure, it's just not synching consistently.

Options
ClayPigeon
ClayPigeon
Community Member

Hi,

Safari, Apple App, and that thing in the Status Bar are (a) not synched for updated log-in information (b) newly generated passwords are not updating when editing an existing login (c) login's will exist in one of the three tools but, not in the other two.

I'm frustrated and It's to the point where I don't trust 1password anymore.

Help needed.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.2.1 (621002) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4 (15E65)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:diagnostics, kb:pro-features-faq

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ClayPigeon,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you're having with 1Password! I'm sure we can get them fixed in no time. It seems like you're having some trouble with the communication between 1Password, 1Password Mini (the one in the Status Bar) and the browser extension. I'd like to ask you a couple of questions to have a better picture of what's going on.

-Do you use 1Password in other devices (an iPhone, for example)? If you do, does syncing works well with them?
    -Can you please give us some more details about what you're noticing?
    -In which of the three instances of 1Password exactly are you updating or editing the information?
    -What happens if you create new logins/edit information somewhere else?
    -For how long have you had this problem?

I'll look forward to your answers so we can figure out the best way to solve this issue! :chuffed:

• ClayPigeon
    ClayPigeon
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, a lot of questions. Ok, let's see if I can answer well enough to give some direction.

"Do you use 1Password in other devices (an iPhone, for example)? If you do, does syncing works well with them?"
    Yes, I do: iPhone. I can;t say with certainty if I do or not. I think I'm having the same issues across the board on all instances.

"Can you please give us some more details about what you're noticing?"
    I'm noticing a lack of synching. Desktop app and iPhone seem to be ahead of browser plugins (chrome & safari) and iPassword mini.

Other than this new second instance of mini, the issue I see is I'll create/update info in on the iPhone, in browser, in application and the others don't catch up for a while. I've also noticed that info updated in the browser plug-in, like updating a password, won't be there the next time I open any instance of iPassword. Often, the new password will be replaced with the old password so I have no idea what the new password was set to.

After just restarting, I notice there are two instances of 1Password mini. They do not seem to be in synch with one another, both requiring password log in to access. One of the instances, the most out of synch, seems to be synching with Chrome only. While the other seems to be attempting to synch with mini, application, iPhone app, and safari (although not staying in synch as I've mentioned).

"In which of the three instances of 1Password exactly are you updating or editing the information?"
    All of them. Safari most often.

"What happens if you create new logins/edit information somewhere else?"
    See above answer

"For how long have you had this problem?"
    Not sure, a few months, maybe?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ClayPigeon,

Thank you very much for the information! It's very helpful, and I think I know exactly what's going on:

...I notice there are two instances of 1Password mini.

That most likely means you have two different 1Password apps on your Mac - the Mac App Store version and the AgileBits Store version. They each have their own copy of 1Password mini, and they each store data in separate locations on your Mac. Therefore, unless you have both copies of 1Password set up to sync with each other (via Dropbox or another sync option), changes made to one will not show up in the other.

If you open the Applications folder on your Mac, do you see multiple 1Password apps there? If you see one named 1Password.app, that's the Mac App Store version. If you see another one named 1Password 6.app, that's the AgileBits Store version. Assuming that's the problem, we can definitely help you merge the data from both versions (if necessary) and then remove one or the other from your Mac in order to avoid further problems - but first, we'll need to know a few additional details:

• If you open each version of 1Password, which one has all your latest data? Or does each one have some information the other is missing?
    • In each one, go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync. How is each one currently set up?
    • Would you prefer to continue using the Mac App Store version or the AgileBits Store version?

Let us know how it all goes and what you find. Thanks!

• ClayPigeon
    ClayPigeon
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have the two version mentioned and yes, I'd like to merge them. 1Password is the version that's lagging behind 1Password 6.

I don't care which version I keep, all things being equal. If one will be easier to maintain moving forward that is the version I'd like to keep.

As for synching:
    1Password 6 - Dropbox > One Pass Sync > iPassword.agilekeychain
    1Password - "Synch Primary vault with None"

Thanks,
    -Eric

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @ClayPigeon! Merging the data so both versions have all the same info should be very easy, just follow these steps:

• Open the Mac App Store version (i.e. 1Password).
    • Go to 1Password > Preferences and select the Sync tab.
    • Change the sync setting from None to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button and select the same sync file from Dropbox that the 1Password 6 app is syncing with (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

The Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions should now have all the same data. If so, you can keep one and delete the other. It doesn't really matter which one you keep, although since you must have purchased the Mac App Store version at some point, it might make sense to keep that one. Once you choose which one to keep, drag the other one to the Trash (make sure you do not use any app cleaning tools when you do this).

Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. :)

This discussion has been closed.