Pro features through Apple Family Sharing

Options
PaulRobson
PaulRobson
Community Member

I bought Pro features in Apple Store and by Apple Family Sharing rules this funcionality should be available for next person without any extra fee but at this moment Pro features is not available through Apple Family Sharing for other person which I have defined for.

Thank you in advance for response
Pavel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:family share, kb:pro-features-faq, kb-search:premium, kb:pro-features-faq, ug:ios/pro-features

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

@PaulRobson: Sorry for the confusion! Apple's Family Sharing does not support in-app purchases of any kind, including 1Password's Pro Features:

What you can't share
    • Songs added to iTunes Match from outside the iTunes Store.
    • Individual Apple Music memberships and other subscriptions, such as magazines and newspapers.
    In-App purchases.
    • Items that are no longer available on the iTunes Store.
    • Items that you or another member of your family group has hidden. Learn more about hidden purchases.
    • Some apps from the App Store. Find out if your app is shareable.
    • Ringtones.

It was confusing for us at first too, since it originally sounded like this would be possible when Family Sharing was first introduced, but only full app purchases can be shared. Hopefully Apple will make it possible in the future though.

• Ho-Chen Shih
    Ho-Chen Shih
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure what benefit In-app purchases is for 1password and the users but can agilebits consider turning the ios version without In-app?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ho-Chen Shih,

The benefits of the Pro features are listed here:

https://support.1password.com/pro-features-faq/

I don't understand the rest of your question, though. Could you help me understand what you mean?

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hey,

I think the question could be to split it into two apps, a free one and a paid one that already includes all features. Wouldn't that be a solution for the problem?

Maybe there is a way to get the paid version for free if the free version with the in-app purchase is already installed. Like when I install 1Password with my old Apple-ID from the App Store where I did the in-app-purchase and update to TestFlight beta when logged in with my new Apple-ID. Only if I do it that way when 1Password was not installed yet the Pro features showed up in the beta.

And you could remove the in-app purchase completely and also the Pro features from the standard version after a longer time with several warnings before, to install the new Pro app. Or just keep the in the free version, if someone forgets updating and don't get the warnings.

I don't know if anything like that is possible or if it's too much work to do it and always have two apps in the store. But there are many apps that has a paid Pro version and a free version with in-app purchases. I don't know if you have the Pro app after that or still the free one with Pro features. I never did buy any of those.

Just a suggestion. I don't need family sharing myself.

• Ben
    Options

We used to do just that (multiple apps) but it proved to be too difficult to maintain and caused a lot of confusion for customers. The current setup was chosen to simplify things.

Any scenario is going to have constraints. We've picked the one that we feel has the least and most acceptable ones for the most customers.

Ben

• Ho-Chen Shih
    Ho-Chen Shih
    Community Member
    Options

i have multiple IOS devices and I have set them up with different appleID historically. Most likely I will setup my next New IOS device as family share as well with different appleID. with currently logic, i will end up paying for every device not user.. So as a user, I find multiple apps works much better with my thin wallet...

• Ben
    Options

@Ho-Chen Shih

Thanks for taking the time to share your use case with us. Please understand though that this is not typical. Apple only recommends one Apple ID per person. In most cases folks only purchase the Pro features once per person, which is the intention.

But if you must use different Apple IDs, for whatever reason, then I'd recommend taking a look at our 1Password for Families subscription service. This includes the Pro features for each person that has an account within the 1Password Families account (as well as a whole lot more).

Thanks!

Ben

• Ho-Chen Shih
    Ho-Chen Shih
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ben. I recommend you look at apps review and you will see quite a few complains about recent family share issues. Therefore I think am quite typical. Apple and 1password may change the way how you operate but I think in many cases it does not make sense.

Take for example, I have two ID for 'historical' reason and I have to blame on Apple for this and that should not have anything to do with 1password. Anyway, I thought of buying one more 1password but I am afraid if sync will not work the way it used to be and I am afraid what will get changed next year.

1password for Families sounds good if I have a family of 5. I will try to convince my 2 years old son in 10 years. I will try other product that has very reasonable price(1/5) for the same for now.

Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Thanks again for the feedback, @Ho-Chen Shih. There are definitely folks that would like to share 1Password's Pro features with their family via Apple's Family Sharing, sure. My comment was that it is somewhat atypical for a single user to have a separate Apple ID for each of their devices.

I'm not sure I follow your comment about syncing. If you're having trouble setting up sync we'd be happy to help with that. Please note though that if you are using different Apple IDs you will not able to sync via iCloud. This is an iCloud restriction. You could sync via Dropbox though.

1Password for Families provides a good value even with families as small as one individual, however we are looking into the possibility of offering a hosted subscription service that would be more attractive to individuals as well.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.