Why is my Team password and my master password different?

Options
ryanlaner
ryanlaner
Community Member

I recently moved to the new Teams for my family. After I setup myself I realized that to unlock 1Password from OS X or iOS I still use my original master password. But when I add my team account to a new device or login into the web portal I use the new master password I created with account key.

Are these 2 passwords supposed to be different? If so, that means we need to remember the vault master password, the team password and the account key (3 in total now)?

/ryan

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:teams-families-setup, kb-search:master password vs team, kb:change-master-password

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ryanlaner,

The short answer is: it's up to you. To elaborate on this, we recommend having one single strong Master Password. This topic is discussed in some more detail in this thread. If you want to change your Teams Master Password to the one you had been using before on 1Password you can easily do it either in Preferences on the main app or in your account in your browser.

Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do for you :chuffed:

• ryanlaner
    ryanlaner
    Community Member
    Options

Can you answer my original question? Are there really 2 passwords to manage?

I understand I can make them the same but I still need to manage them both. For examplez, let's say I do make them the same now. Then in one year when I update one of them I. Now have 2 different passwords to get into the web bs a device?

Can you show me where th coiffure T places to update both passwords are on devices and on the web?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ryanlaner You're correct, there are technically two passwords to manage. But if you disconnect the Primary vault created before you signed up for 1Password Teams from both 1Password for Mac and iOS, you'll be able to use the Master Password from your 1Password account to unlock the apps themselves. (This situation results from 1Password unlocking via the Master Password associated with the first vault added to it.)

Then in one year when I update one of them I. Now have 2 different passwords to get into the web bs a device?

While you can update your Master Password, we don't recommend changing it except in circumstances where you have a weak Master Password or in cases like this where you want your Master Passwords to match up. If you decide to disconnect the Primary vault, like I said above, you will no longer have to worry about using different Master Passwords to get into 1Password.com and the 1Password apps.

Can you show me where th coiffure T places to update both passwords are on devices and on the web?

I'm not entirely sure what happened in the middle of that sentence, but I can show you where to change your Master Password :)

In 1Password for Mac, click 1Password 6 > Preferences > Security > Change Master Password.
    To change the Master Password used for your 1Password account, click 1Password 6 > Preferences > Accounts > Change Password.
    On 1Password.com that option can be found by clicking the Account Icon > My Profile > Change Master Password.

I hope that answers your questions!

• ryanlaner
    ryanlaner
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. One last question.

You mentioned disconnecting the primary vault which I did not do. Is there a way to do this now?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ryanlaner,

At this time, removing the primary vault from 1Password for Mac involves a bit of fiddling around. Essentially you would need to start over. However, we’re working on an update for 1Password for Mac that will make this a lot easier. I would suggest waiting for the next update before worrying too much about your primary vault.

For now, you can customize your All Vaults view (in 1Password’s Preferences > All Vaults) to hide your primary vault, although you will still unlock with the primary vault’s Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.