My iMac can't Synch through iCloud but my iPhone and MacBook can

Options
JemClark
JemClark
Community Member

I set up my account on my MacBook, and have managed to synch through iCloud to my iPhone. But, my iMac doesn't seem to show a button for Synch (or wifi) in the setup - maybe because the only vaults I seem to have a "personal" or "shared" (not "primary")?
Any ideas how I can synch in my iMac? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: El Capitan
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:can't synch

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JemClark,

I'm sorry about the confusion with 1Password and the different ways in which it works. It sounds like you have a 1Password Families account, is this right? If this is the case, then you don't need to worry about syncing, just about setting your accounts on each of your devices. This guide will help you add your account on all your devices. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see your data without any extra effort.

You're right about why you can't see a Sync button: you only have Vaults that are part of your account, so you don't need to set up special syncing for them.

Please let us know how this works out for you and if you have any other questions that we can help you with :chuffed:

• JemClark
    JemClark
    Community Member
    Options

Fantastic..! I managed to fix it. So, I'm all set with a Family account (not an old account). I didn't appreciate the difference between a "personal" vault and a "primary" vault. Now I do. Couple more questions : a) how do I pay for this account? I think I'm still using the trial version but I'm happy to pay the $5 a month fee. Just not sure how to do it. b) If I'm not storing my file on iCloud now (no need for synching etc) - but the file is shared across multiple devices... where would the shared file be stored? Is it on an AgileBits server, or still on iCloud? Many thanks. Jem

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JemClark,

I'm glad to hear it's now working nicely and that you like 1Password Families!

a) how do I pay for this account?

First, I'm sorry that this is not more intuitive. To add your paying information, sign into your account in your browser. Then click on your Family name on the top right corner. Click on Billing on the dropdown menu and "Add a new card". Everything should go smoothly from here :chuffed:

b) If I'm not storing my file on iCloud now (no need for synching etc) - but the file is shared across multiple devices... where would the shared file be stored?

In 1Password Families the information is hosted by AgileBits, that's why it's accesible to you anywhere you go!

Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do for you :chuffed:

• JemClark
    JemClark
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pilar. Thanks for all the help. I'm fully set up and a subscriber now (easy when you fined the "billing" section as you said.
    One final question (I promise!) Now that my files are stored on an AgileBits server and not iCloud, how can I find and delete the old file on iCloud - just to be safe? Thanks! Jem

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JemClark,

I'm glad to hear that everything's set up and you're enjoying 1Password :chuffed: Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, we're always happy to help you. If you've moved all your data into your Family account you can delete the files from iCloud. Go to System Preferences on your Mac and click on iCloud. Click on Manage on the bottom right corner. Then find the 1Password app and click on "Delete Documents and Data".

Don't hesitate to ask if there's anything else that we can help you with! :chuffed:

• JemClark
    JemClark
    Community Member
    Options

You cracked it, Pilar. Thanks. Just goes to show - with a little help and direction even an old duffer like me can make this thing work.
    Cheers. Jem

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JemClark thank you for your kind words, I'm very happy I could help. We're always here for you if you need anything else :chuffed:

• JemClark
    JemClark
    Community Member
    Options

Actually - one final thought. Is it possible to switch the dates format back to dd/mm/yyyy? 1Password seems to only follow the US (and presumably Canada) format but the rest of the world doesn't!
    Also, is it possible to format in secure notes (underline, bold, tables etc like Word?). So far it only seems to be plain text?
    Finally, may 1Password one day remind me that my software Licence or password etc is about to expire? Would be a hand tool...
    Not problems - just niggles!
    Thanks. Jem

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JemClark let me see if I can answer some of those questions for you!

Actually - one final thought. Is it possible to switch the dates format back to dd/mm/yyyy? 1Password seems to only follow the US (and presumably Canada) format but the rest of the world doesn't!

That's a good question! 1Password takes its cues from your device's settings. A recent item showed up as "May 4 2016" when I had my region set to the US, and when I changed it to France, it showed up as "4 May 2016." That's how it works on my Mac, at least :)

Also, is it possible to format in secure notes (underline, bold, tables etc like Word?). So far it only seems to be plain text?

Right now Secure Notes are only plain text.

Finally, may 1Password one day remind me that my software Licence or password etc is about to expire? Would be a hand tool...

Are you referring to the licenses and passwords you save in 1Password, or your 1Password license and Master Password? If it's the former, I don't think we'd be able to do that automatically, as it would require 1Password to know things about your data that it doesn't currently know. Perhaps in the future we'll have a setting that uses the "expiry date" field to send those notifications :) And if it's the latter you don't have to worry about either your 1Password license or Master Password expiring.

I hope that answers your questions!

This discussion has been closed.