How do I convert a "Team" account to a "Family" account?

Options
LLMMD
LLMMD
Community Member

First of all, I LOVE 1Password. Thanks for making a great product, and thanks for sponsoring the many podcasts that I listen to.

In mid-late December, I learned of 1Password for Teams, and I thought it would be a great option for my family. I set up a team with the domain https://montgomery.1password.com, but I have not yet gotten around to enrolling my family.

I subsequently was very excited to learn about 1Password for Families, but I can't figure out how to convert my current "Team" account to a "Family" account.

Please advise.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.02
Extension Version: 4.53
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:convert to family

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @LLMMD,

Thanks for the kind words! We too are very excited about Families, and I actually happen to be in the same situation you are. Unfortunately our tool to convert a Team to a Families account isn't quite ready yet. That is something that is coming though, and we'll be sure to let everyone know as soon as it is available. That said, since there is no billing set up quite yet, you're free to continue using your Teams account for your family until we get this feature squared away. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• imajes
    imajes
    Community Member
    Options

Hey-

I'm in a similar situation! Will the conversion work without problems when the tool is ready? Will all the deals you have going on still be in effect? :chuffed:

• Ben
    Options

Hi @imajes,

Will the conversion work without problems when the tool is ready?

I would certainly hope so. ;) It is hard to say at this stage what any limitations might be, since the tool is still in development.

Will all the deals you have going on still be in effect?

Folks migrating from Teams to Families certainly qualify as early adopters, and as such are eligible for the early adopter special.

Thanks!

Ben

• imajes
    imajes
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @bwoodruff !

Last q: are you keeping track of the people who need it, or do we need to keep coming back somewhere to see if it's ready? How do we keep on top of that? thanks!

• Ben
    Options

@imajes,

You're welcome! It'll likely be posted here and perhaps on our blog first, so those are good spots to check if you are super anxious, but we'll also be including the details in an upcoming newsletter.

Thanks!

Ben

• Xytal
    Xytal
    Community Member
    Options

I just noticed today when mucking about my admin console there was an option to covert from teams to families - was extremely excited. =D

• Ben
    Options

It is pretty neat indeed. :)

Ben

• ckimball
    ckimball
    Community Member
    Options

what about the other direction? I'm trying to figure out which tool is right for me (I manage passwords for work and for my family on my individual account now) I'm almost thinking of signing up for both in order to compare them.
    why are people switching?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @ckimball,

Which you should choose largely depends on who you plan to need to share with. If you plan to share with family members then 1Password for Families would probably be the better (and more economical) choice. If you plan to share within a company, then 1Password for Teams is the way to go.

There is not currently an automatic solution for switching from Families to Teams (only Teams -> Families). If you have a need to switch from Families to Teams please drop us an email to support@1password.com and we'll do our best to help. :)

Some folks are switching from Teams to Families because Families is the newer service. Before it existed some folks had signed their families up for Teams.

Ben

• ckimball
    ckimball
    Community Member
    Options

I have signed up for both, but I'd rather not have to manage two separate accounts. Right now I manage multiple folders: personal, family, work, and work shared and manage them all from one account.
    Looks like the new products manage multiple vaults which is great.

Not sure if I can import only one folder into a vault, or if it's simple to move things between vaults.
    or if I"m able to migrate vaults out of one account (ie if I manage a personal vault on a team set up, but I leave the team, can I transfer the team account to someone else and take my personal vault with me?)

also, after signing up for both, I finally found some info on the differences:
    one is that families allows 2 guests, while teams allows up to 5 and some others outlines here:

• ckimball
    ckimball
    Community Member
    Options

Getting v3 upgraded to 6 and then attaching family and team accounts has stolen a few hours I'll never get back. However, Now that I've played around with these, i have a better understanding of how they work.

First, the pre-existing account I have remains as "Primary".
    Moving from v3 I lose all my folder structure, but the labels are still there so I can make that work and transfer those into tags.

then I can attach the family and/or teams account to 1password6 along with the primary.

I can then move the logins to whatever vault I want.
    Unfortunately you either move them (no longer in the primary) or copy them (separate and updates don't carry over) So you can't really share one login across vaults.

Both team and families have two required default vaults:
    1. personal (only you) for each person who logs in - not guests
    2. shared (everyone in the family/team
    then you can create vaults for all the groups you want to dole out access to

Family gives you fewer guests, a max of 5-7 members, and no group level access (owners, admins etc.), but that can be managed by utilizing group emails and creating vaults for each group. Teams also allows for domain level sign up - Anyone with the email address of a designated domain can request access (that an owner still needs to approve).

I'm still playing around to see if the added level of permissions does anything in my case, or else I may be able to get away with families with separate shared vaults for family and work staff.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ckimball,

Thanks so much for letting us know how things are working out for you! That's a pretty great comparison between Teams and Families. As Ben mentions above, we've designed Teams and Families as solutions for two different groups, and we plan on adding features to each to make them even more powerful and useful as time goes on.

If one of your uses of 1Password is sharing data with your teammates at work, I do recommend that you use 1Password for Teams for that purpose. We've made it simple to add multiple accounts to 1Password: all your data is easily available, but also differentiated between the accounts when you need to quickly find something.

If you have any further questions about 1Password, you know where to find us. :)

• djnafai
    djnafai
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this? My trial on Teams ends in 2 days and I'd like to convert to a Family account for my wife and me.

• gtroyp
    gtroyp
    Community Member
    Options

I am sending an email to support, but a FAQ on this might be good....

• sdengler
    sdengler
    Community Member
    Options

+1
    I have setup 1Password for Teams for my family before 1Password for Families was available. My trial ends in 2 days and I would like to convert from Teams to Families.

Please help!

• macrometa
    macrometa
    Community Member
    Options

The email newsletter I got said that you could convert a team to a family from the settings page, but I see no such option (chrome/macosx el capitan)

• Ben
    Options

@macrometa That was true at the time the newsletter was sent, but has changed since.

To make this migration please drop us an email to support@1password.com

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.