1Password for Chromebooks [may be possible with Android support]

benL365
benL365
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Lounge

Hello,

I am a long time Lastpass user looking to switch to 1password. However, I regularly use a chromebook (in fact, I am typing this with one), and to my knowledge 1password does not support chromebooks. Is there a way to use 1password with a chromebook (I have a Toshiba Chromebook 2, if that helps)? If not, is this a feature that may be offered in the near future?

Thanks,
Benjamin

AgileBits Update, 6-Jul-2017:

Hello everyone! We've started beta testing a new addition to our 1Password family: a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users! To learn about how you can be invited to this private beta testing, please see this announcement:

A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users

Cheers! :smile:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:chromebook

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

AgileBits Update: This post is outdated. 1PasswordAnywhere is dead. Long live 1PasswordAnywhere. If you are interested in web access to your 1Password data please check out our 1Password for Teams or 1Password for Families service.

@benL365: Indeed. We don't have a 'native' ChromeOS app (if such a thing can be said to exist!) but it's certainly something we can consider creating in the future. Thanks for your interest!

However, I know that many people use 1PasswordAnywhere on their ChromeBooks. This is built into your AgileKeychain vault, and can be accessed through the Dropbox website if you store it there. I hope this helps! :)

• Thanks for the link, @jkvamme.

Right now much of our development focus is on 1Password for Teams, and 1Password for Families, but a native ChromeOS app is still something we can consider later on down the line.

Ben

• jkvamme
    jkvamme
    Community Member

@bwoodruff, I would strongly encourage it. As a System Administrator for a Seattle-based IT company, I have personally been using 1Password on a daily basis for the past 2 1/2 years and couldn't live without it. However, many of our clients that have been Mac-based for many years are moving over to the ChromeOS platform due to it's low cost and the huge increase of programs moving over to a web based platform. As all of our clients use Google Apps for email, this transition has been very painless for most people with the exception of a password manager. We'd love to continue recommending 1Password for all users we support, but we are unable to hit our full client base at this time since your product isn't web based.

• @jkvamme,

Both 1Password for Families and 1Password for Teams are web based. They both offer access to your 1Password data through a secure web interface. If you haven't already I'd highly recommend signing up for a free account and try it out for yourself. :)

1Password for Teams

Ben

• kurtisnelson
    kurtisnelson
    Community Member

Now that 1password anywhere has been killed off, I really need a reader on both Linux and ChromeOS. The reason I have used 1p for years is that I am able to handle my own data and protect it with 2-factor auth among other things. I am a single developer, and have no interest in paying a monthly fee for families/teams when I just need a reader for a static data format.

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

I am also disappointed that I no longer have access to my 1Password Anywhere vaults on my Chromebook.

• Hi @kurtisnelson

Unfortunately we don't currently have readers for those platforms, but if you're using either our Agile Keychain format or our OPVault format the data format is open:

AgileBits Blog | You have secrets; we don’t. Why our data format is public

(note: this article was written quite a while ago, so apologies in advance for any dead links)

While we don't currently have plans to offer a native Linux client or non-Families or Teams option for ChromeOS it would be possible to create a reader based on our open format. And such readers have been created by others in the past.

Of course we can't recommend anyone enter their Master Password into anything that isn't 1Password.

Obviously ideally we'd have a more enticing 1st party offering for you in the future. I would imagine though that pretty much any option for ChromeOS would have to be a subscription based offering, due to the recurring cost of data storage.

Ben

• tommyent
    tommyent
    Community Member

@alanhoyle keep an eye on Google I/O tomorrow. Who needs 1Password Anywhere when you can have Android 1Password? The Play store on Chrome OS may finally be here.
    I have read that it will be this session here supposedly it was in the description before but then removed. As you can see the speaker is on the Chrome OS team and it's called "Optimizing Android apps for productivity" so it sounds like it very well could be.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, there's a lot of exciting stuff coming out of Google, and it ain't over yet. :)

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

All ChromeOS users are already paying the "recurring cost of data storage" to Google for Google Drive space. There are also solutions to mount a Dropbox file system (which is my primary cloud sync platform.)

• The problem is that neither of those services (Google Drive or Dropbox) offer us the ability to build a web interface to 1Password data on top of them. Dropbox used to, and that was what 1PasswordAnywhere was built on, but recent changes to Dropbox's service no longer allow that sort of access.

Ben

• ianmcl
    ianmcl
    Community Member

I am trying to open the 1password.html file on my Chromebook. At first it just wouldn't open. I then saw a post telling me to download the file first.

I did this and now I get the error message shown:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ianmcl: I'm sorry for the confusion! As mentioned previously, the combination of browser and Dropbox changes since 1PasswordAnywhere (1Password.html) was created in 2009 have made it so it can no longer access the other files needed to load your vault.

• ianmcl
    ianmcl
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Thanks, @brenty. So it's just not going to happen - is that correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ianmcl: Correct. As I mentioned, 1Password.html can no longer load the rest of the files in your vault to display your data (such as the keys and individual items). I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. :(

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

Is there anyone who has been able to test 1Password for Android on a Chromebook yet? My Chromebook supposedly will support Android apps eventually. Here's the list of current (2 models) and future (bunches of models) https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps?rd=1

• @alanhoyle We don't have anything to announce yet regarding support for 1Password for Android on Chrome OS. That being said, we're really excited about the possibilities and hope to have more news to share in the near future ;)

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

I'm hoping that some other end-user might have one of the compatible Chromebooks and been able to try it out....

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alanhoyle,

We’ve got a pretty awesome community of users here, it’s entirely possible that someone is testing this out! I hope that they’re able to let you know how things are going. :)

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member

Please add me to the group wishing for this feature. We are deploying chromeboxes and chromebooks at corporate, and would like to be able to buy 1P for Teams for our team, but the chromebox/chromebook support would be necessary.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for taking the time to let us know, @huffalumpy.

In case you didn't already know, 1Password Teams includes full web access via 1Password.com. It wasn't clear to me if you were asking for something in addition to that or not.

• shaddowman
    shaddowman
    Community Member

Is there any chance that the Chrome extension will work with Chromebook and the 1Password app? I have a shiny new Chromebook that has the 1Password app but the Chrome browser extension does not work with it. I believe that it is looking for 1Password Helper but can't find it.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @shaddowman

Congratulations on the new Chromebook! The 1Password extension needs the main app to be installed in order to work. This means that while you have access to all your data via the your browser you can't yet use the extension. Stay around to see the path that 1Password takes! :chuffed:

• rochak
    rochak
    Community Member

I have a chromebook flip where chromeos officially supports android apps. I am able to use 1Password on ChromeOS but automatic filling does not work

Any plans of officially allowing your android app to work on chrome os now? I believe this should be technically feasible

https://support.1password.com/android-keyboard/

1Password Version: Latest
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: ChromeOS
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• rochak
    rochak
    Community Member

So I have a compatible chromebook (Asus Flip) and I installed 1Password on my chromebook. The app works well - and I was able to make it sync using WLAN server - that was the only syncing option it showed. No biggie as I just turned on the WLAN server on my Mac, and the chromebook immedaitely synced all the passwords

Biggest issue - one can't autofill it in chrome browswer as the instructions for auto filling via keyboard is only applicable for android devices not chrome os.

https://support.1password.com/android-keyboard/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rochak: That's really cool! Hopefully we'll be able to improve support for Android-compatible Chromebooks in a future update. Thanks so much for sharing your experience! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any plans of officially allowing your android app to work on chrome os now? I believe this should be technically feasible

@rochak: I've merged your similar post into the existing discussion. It's definitely something we're exploring, but we don't have anything to announce at this time. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.