Teams Trial and Windows Applications

Options
JacksonWG
JacksonWG
Community Member

We are currently using the trial to determine whether 1Password for Teams would be a good fit for our internal team or the whole organization. We have a substantial Windows 7 and Windows 10 install base. Is there any information about Teams support for Windows? The non-beta Windows app does not seem to have the feature parity of the OS X app while the mobile apps are top notch. And the Windows 10 (only) beta is rough enough to essentially be non-functional (nevermind browser extensions).

I'm a big fan of 1Password for personal use and I really think the model can be good for the company but I'll have a hard time justifying the cost for an service that isn't complete. My Billing indicates that my trial is up in 8 days. Are we going to be forced to make a decision before then or is there some more information out there that would be helpful to me?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @JacksonWG! Thanks for giving 1Password Teams a try. Windows support is a touchy subject at the moment. We're trying our best to get something out for Windows 7/8 users before everyone's trial is up but I can't promise a specific release date on an app. We do have an app for Windows 10 right now, and it's available to download in the Windows Store. It also allows for filling with the built-in browser. I would love to know what you think of it. :) Hopefully we'll have more to announce soon.

• remi
    remi
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @penderworth!
    We do not manage to make the Chrome extension work for our Windows 10 users.
    Is that a know issue? I am assuming so as you wrote "Filling with the built-in browser". I am understanding that as you support filling only from within the browser built-in your Windows 10 app.
    I look forward to hearing from you.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@remi our Windows team is hard at work on making browser extensions work with our Windows beta apps. 8-) But for now, your assumption is correct: 1Password for Windows 10 beta only supports filling within the built-in 1Browser. Hopefully that will change soon :)

• JacksonWG
    JacksonWG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @penderworth

Right now the issue is that we are feeling pressured to make a decision to spend money (albeit a relatively small amount) without having a fully functional product. The web UI is functional but feels unpolished (understandable) and the Windows 10 beta is very rough.

The iOS and OS X applications are top notch but that doesn't cover all of our users. I can't speak to the Android app but I hope it is as good as iOS.

We have 3 days left on our trial and the "Earl's Early Deal" pressure tactic combined with the end of the beta. Right now we'd have 3 active users but we'd potentially be rolling it out to up to 50 users. I'd have a hard time selling the service to the users, nevermind the people in charge of the budgeting, in the state it is in now.

• Jacob
    Options

@JacksonWG Sorry about that. We definitely don't want you to feel pressured. I'd love to hear what you feel is unpolished in 1Password.com, though. We've been improving it a lot over the past few months and hearing it's still unpolished isn't great. Is there something in particular that you're not enjoying about it? The same goes for the Windows 10 beta. I've personally been using it for a while, and it does feel a bit less polished but I haven't had any major issues. If you have some specific feedback, please do post it.

• JacksonWG
    JacksonWG
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth I'll try to succinctly include a list below.

Web UI issues:

• Password generator length is clipped by invisible scroll arrows
    • Unable to determine the number of symbols and digits in password generator
    • Pronounceable passwords aren't able to set separator character
    • No large type available for password fields, only copy/reveal
    • Copy/Reveal for password fields only appears on hover
    • What are the keyboard shortcuts, CTRL-SHIFT-C works but what else?
    • Favourites sort doesn't match the ordering as indicated in the apps (at least what I've got in iOS or OS X)
    • No way to identify duplicate or weak passwords
    • No way to identify old passwords
    • Missing common site login creation similar to iOS

Desktop issues:

• Unable to create new items
    • Until I opened it to write this, for the last week, the Windows 10 app was only showing me 4 logins in a vault that had over 40 items across logins, servers and databases
    • For the last week, the app was crashing when I minimized, maximized or tried to open settings, seems to stay open now
    • Search is not finding any items when I can manually verify they are there
    • After searching, unable to manually select a category of item in the left pane, nothing is displayed
    • No method I can tell to empty the trash
    • No way to identify duplicate or weak passwords
    • No way to identify old passwords

I think my big issue is that the best selling point, for me, is the ease of use of creating new items and then using those items. CMD+ALT+\ and then search for 1Password Mini is an amazingly quick workflow and there is no parity for the web or Windows platforms. Doing simple steps in web/Windows are clunky and require a lot more duplicate work than I feel should be necessary.

• Jacob
    Options

@JacksonWG This is a great list! I'm not going to respond to each point, but I do want to discuss a few of them.

Password generator length is clipped by invisible scroll arrows

I haven't seen this issue. What browser and device are you using? I'd be happy to investigate.

For the password generator as a whole, we're working on some improvements for this across all 1Password interfaces. It's going to take some time to complete, but we hope to have something available later this year/early next. :)

Copy/Reveal for password fields only appears on hover

I assume you're looking for it to appear similar to it does in 1Password for Mac or Windows when you select the item. If so, that's a detail we will get to once we've tackled the major features.

What are the keyboard shortcuts, CTRL-SHIFT-C works but what else?

That's a very good question.

No way to identify duplicate or weak passwords
    No way to identify old passwords

These should come along soon. They're handy features that I wish more people used. :)

Unable to create new items

As you can imagine, this is at the top of the list. :+1: Write ability is crucial. We wanted folks to have a way to open and fill their Logins so we released the beta without item addition, but we're adding it soon don't worry.

Until I opened it to write this, for the last week, the Windows 10 app was only showing me 4 logins in a vault that had over 40 items across logins, servers and databases

That is definitely no good. Could you try locking the app and unlocking it? If the rest of your Logins aren't showing up, please send us a Diagnostics Report so we can figure out what's going on. You can learn how to send the report here: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/win.html#1password-for-windows-10

Search is not finding any items when I can manually verify they are there

What have you been searching for? The title or contents?

After searching, unable to manually select a category of item in the left pane, nothing is displayed

Hmm, I just tried this and it worked. You should be able to narrow down your search by clicking a category. What version are you on again? We just released an update yesterday.

No way to identify duplicate or weak passwords
    No way to identify old passwords

These are considered more advanced functionality for the app, so they'll be coming along in the future. Right now, we're working on the basic database functions to make sure things work properly and it's near impossible to lose data. That's what's important. :)

I think my big issue is that the best selling point, for me, is the ease of use of creating new items and then using those items. CMD+ALT+\ and then search for 1Password Mini is an amazingly quick workflow and there is no parity for the web or Windows platforms. Doing simple steps in web/Windows are clunky and require a lot more duplicate work than I feel should be necessary.

I absolutely hear you here. I use this on Mac all day when working and when doing other things. 1Password mini isn't used by as many people as the main app, surprisingly, but it sure is a wonderful thing to have around for people like us.

Overall, the Windows app is definitely behind the others, and 1Password.com is a bit as well. A portion of the things you pointed out are polish type issues similar to design. Once we've tackled the major stuff, we'll move on to those and start making things really uniform. Right now, we're trying our best to make sure things can be used consistently without data being lost. So far it's going well. 1Password Families and 1Password Teams are closer to their polish time than the Windows app. After all, it's still in beta.

I'm really glad you posted this feedback. It's good to have some perspective on things and I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what's important to you. Hopefully we can get some of this stuff moving along soon enough. For now, let's work on the issues you mentioned and get a resolution. :)

ref: B5-1623

• dutchster
    dutchster
    Community Member
    Options

I share the same sentiment as JacksonWG. He has listed many unpolished features. I'm willing to overlook that but my user base is primarily Win10 users and the frequency of the app crashing has driven some of the users to tell me they won't be using 1Password but to make new entries. These users are going to use the old password manager we migrated from until 1Password becomes stable. This not only drives them to see my lack of making the wrong choice in password managers but it also affects their efficiencies (and mine) dealing with app crashes and flopping between 2 managers.

I have 2 days left on my trial and am being forced to pay to use a beta product. I know this will be a good product but AgileBits has forced the subscriptions too soon.

• Jacob
    Options

@dutchster I'm sure he's glad to hear he's not alone. :) You aren't either. Could you email us at support@1password.com about your trial and mention your experience with the Windows apps? We'd be happy to help you out with things.

This discussion has been closed.