Never Reveal a password

Options

In the team environment, I wan certain team members to only be able to copy and use the password but not reveal it. Is it possible or is this feature planned? Thx

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ssoroka
    ssoroka
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi tigansan,

Yes, we have a permission called "reveal password" which when checked allows the user to reveal the password, and when unchecked (assuming they have read access) allows them to use it, but not view it. You can see this in the admin panel when you edit a team member, vault, or group.

Steven

• Jeff Shiner
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi @tigansan,

1Password for Teams offers some nice options for limiting what team members can do with shared vaults. For example, you can specify different permissions such as Read/Write/Export or even lower level permissions. These permissions are set when sharing a vault with a Team Member. You will see a gear next to the Team Member on the Vault page within the Administration Console. Clicking on that gear will open a menu where you can set the various permissions.

One of those options is Reveal passwords. If you deselect this permission then the 1Password apps will respect this setting and not allow that team member to reveal or copy passwords in that vault. While the team member can not see or copy that password they can use 1Password to fill that password into websites when they need to log in.

As awesome as this feature is, it is important to understand that these permissions have their limits. Since we fill this password into a browser, your team member might still obtain the password by using the developers’ tools on that web page. We cover this and more in our Security Whitepaper.

I hope that helps.

• raj31581
    raj31581
    Community Member
    Options

I had followed the forum, but the problem I do have is with copy the password. I mean when i uncheck the checkbox Reveal the password it does not allow my team to copy the password as well.Please help me with the option that does not reveal the password but allow me to copy the password.

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

Does the removal of the ability to reveal passwords prevent copy? It probably should, as a user who can copy the password can then just paste it plainly into any non-password field or a text editor and there they have it.

I might guess that this feature was designed to be used by those who live within the apps, and not by those who only have access to the web GUI. In the desktop/mobile app, you can rely on the auto-fill (most of the time, so long as the ducks line up), but in the web GUI only world where I'm forced to live for work purposes, not being able to copy the password would prevent it from ever being used.

• Jacob
    Options

@raj31581 @smallcheese This permission does indeed remove the copy ability. After all, someone could paste the password in any other text field and see it, so that defeats the purpose of having reveal disabled. ;) This post and thread have a lot more info on how this works and how it shouldn't be used. I'm sorry if the permission caused some confusion, though. Let us know if this helps!

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, thanks for the pointer.

Am I right then, that if you only have access to the Web GUI for teams that restricting reveal/copy then means you can never use the password (and so makes it a little bit ineffectual)?

• Jacob
    Options

@smallcheese That is correct. Filing is the only method of using the password if reveal password is enabled and you're using 1Password.com.

This discussion has been closed.