Are the dashes required when entering the Account Key?

Options
ejj21
ejj21
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Families

are you supposed to put in the dashes or not on the account key??? would be nice to know, duh. for such a great company, you all leave out the necessary details.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:teams-troubleshooting-signin

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ejj21,

It doesn't matter. You can sign in with or without the dashes in your Account Key. We didn't mention it because it doesn't make a difference. Do whatever makes you happy. :)

Have a great rest of your week!

• ejj21
    ejj21
    Community Member
    Options

neither one works, and you should mention that either works on the login page to prevent frustration. neither makes me happy.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry you're having trouble, @ejj21. It sounds like there is a problem with the rest of your account details in that case.

Were you using the 1Password app before signing up for a family account? If so, it's possible that you chose a different Master Password for your 1Password.com account than the one you use to unlock the app. I've seen that cause confusion in some cases. Could that be the case for you?

• ejj21
    ejj21
    Community Member
    Options

yes i was. no i didn't. i can not log in. i am typing directly from my "emergency kit."

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ejj21,

The only way for sign in to succeed is to enter all the information correctly. That includes the sign-in address, email address, Account Key, and Master Password. If any one of them is incorrect, you won't be able to sign in. That is the only way signing in will fail.

If you are not entering the correct information, you may need to contact one of the other family organizers and ask them to recover your account.

• ejj21
    ejj21
    Community Member
    Options

if you enter the wrong sign-in address, it tells you that the email address or account key are wrong, which is not all the possible errors. please fix your error messages to include "sign-in address" as the third possible problem.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

@ejj21,

We have no way of knowing that it is the wrong sign-in address for you. If you are on the wrong sign-in address, we only know that someone is trying to access an account at that specific sign-in address. If you don't have an account there, then for that sign-in address the information you are entering is incorrect. If we showed an error revealing more details, attackers could use that information to know who has an account on which family or team account. In order to protect everyone's privacy, we do not reveal who has an account on which family or team.

Is it safe to say that you were able to resolve the problem by using the right sign-in address? If so, that's great news. If not, please let me know if another organizer in your family is able to recover your account.

• ejj21
    ejj21
    Community Member
    Options

all your error message has to say, rather than it is the wrong email address or account key, is to say it is either a wrong sign-in address or email address or account key. otherwise, your error message points you (a legitimate user) in the wrong direction.

• ejj21
    ejj21
    Community Member
    Options

i continue to find that your company's documentation to be lacking. eg, the "how to migrate to a family account" video, does not specify which version of mac you have to be on. i underwent hours of frustration trying to use an early mac os to migrate (unsuccessfully) because you all did not specify which version of mac os you had to have that would allow migration to a family account.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ejj21, we have no way of knowing whether it is the wrong sign-in address for you, though. Only you know what your sign-in address is.

We'll see about making the message clearer that it could be any one of the four requirements that you are getting wrong:

• sign-in address
    • email address
    • Account Key
    • Master Password

However, we do address this very explicitly in the troubleshooting article you came from:

I can’t sign in to my 1Password account

That is what the error message links to, so I thought you had already read it. But if there is room for some more wording to clarify the issue, we'll certainly see what we can do. Thanks for mentioning this!

I guess everything is working well now that you entered the correct information. But please let me know if that is not the case.

• ejj21
    ejj21
    Community Member
    Options

i am talking about the error message on the original page. it says this:

"Cannot sign in. Your Account Key or email address is incorrect. Need help?"

you shouldn't give 2 out of 3 here. you should give all 3 as possible "incorrects," or just the "need help" link, imo.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

@ejj21,

Yep. That's what I was referring to as well. The problem is that there is no way for the website to know whether you are on the wrong sign-in address or not. Only you know that. So the error message can't tell you that. But we do cover that in the troubleshooting article where we can go into greater detail. Making sure you are on the right sign-in address is the first thing listed in the article.

My only point was that we couldn't just say you are on the wrong sign-in address. We'd have to have a long explanation about it, but that is what the troubleshooting article already provides. There is always room for improvement, though. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention. :)
    ref: B5-1644

• ejj21
    ejj21
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

all you need to do is change the error message from this:

"Cannot sign in. Your Account Key or email address is incorrect. Need help?"

to this:

"Cannot sign in. Your Sign-In Address or Account Key or email address is incorrect. Need help?"

there is no need for the system to figure out if the user is on the wrong page or not. just list it as a possibility. otherwise, the user thinks he is on the right sign-in page--that is what is implied by leaving it off. just list it as a possible problem with an "OR" condition.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

I've passed this along to the developers. Thanks again! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.