New Beta but google play isn't showing me an update?

Options
ntimo
ntimo
Community Member

Hello,

I just checked the app updates page https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPA4 and saw that a new beta 6.2-beta1 is available. But when I open google play on my phone it says that I have the latest version witch is 6.1-beta3 what can I do to get the update? Is this just a bug somehow? Or is the beta not yet available in google play?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member
    Options

You have to wait a little for a new APK to propagate through Google servers after being uploaded.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@revanmj I know that this can take some time. But you seem to already have gotten the update. So I should have got it too

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member
    Options

It doesn't work this way - different people are getting access as APK propagates through different servers. So I may got it already because server assigned to my account got it. But you have to wait, because yours haven't yet.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@revanmj Do you have any docs on this?

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

It's just basic knowledge - same thing happens in iOS App Store or Windows Store. In the first first few hours after publishing new version of the app some people get it almost right away, some must wait an hour or two.

Google, Apple and Microsoft won't tell how their servers works inside, so "server assigned to my account" was just a simplification, I don't know if servers are assigned to account, device or just randomly chosen at Google Play client's launch. I just know that there is more than one server and propagating changes to all of them takes time.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@revanmj my tablet same account just got the update? Well whats wrong there google :dizzy:

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member
    Options

I just said in a previous post:

"server assigned to my account" was just a simplification, I don't know if servers are assigned to account, device or just randomly chosen at Google Play client's launch.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@revanmj It seems like it was a sync but I installed a new app from google play and than the updates where showing up in the my apps section of google play.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@revanmj, @ntimo: Indeed, this is the case with any CDN. Often depending on geographical location (and other factors), some folks will see an update show up before others. I don't know much about Googles setup in particular, or if there's any way to "trick" Google Play into giving up the goods faster. I guess for now we just wait. :lol:

• apkpure
    apkpure
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hello,I just checked the app updates page https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPA4 and saw that a new beta 6.2-beta1 is available. But when I open google play on my phone it says that I have the latest version witch is 6.1-beta3 what can I do to get the update? Is this just a bug somehow? Or is the beta not yet available in google play?>

I think it will update very soon

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ntimo: Indeed, it can take some time, but I'm surprised you're not getting it yet. You may want to consider reinstalling the app from Google Play. That may force it to get the latest beta.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty The problem fixed it self ;) I have 6.3 beta1 installed. But I was wondering if Monday is now the new beta realse day ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ntimo: Ah, that's good news! We really don't have a set beta release day. We try to release them as soon as they're ready so everyone can test and give feedback. But perhaps the development team feels rejuvenated and works more efficiently after a relaxing weekend. ;)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty was the new beta already pushed to google play because play again isn't showing me the update :/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ntimo: It looks like it wasn't long ago that you posted, but I'm not getting 6.3.1b4 from Google Play yet either. Probably just some CDN lag. :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I hate google for doing that :D Maybe you could provide the apk file too? Because as you know I can't wait to test new versions :dizzy:

• peri
    Options

@ntimo This was an oversight on our part. We had an issue which blocked the release, but you should see the beta update soon! Keep an eye out. :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@peri Will it still be today? :dizzy:

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@peri do you have any news?

• peri
    Options

@ntimo The new beta has been published to Google Play and should be available within the next few hours. :lol:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

@ntimo: I'm getting it here now. Hopefully you'll be able to download it shortly too. Thanks for the poke! :)

@brenty I hate google for doing that :D Maybe you could provide the apk file too? Because as you know I can't wait to test new versions :dizzy:

And I just want to state for the record that this wasn't Google's fault, and wouldn't be even if there are issues with an update propagating through the servers in the content delivery network. This is, after all, just a reality of getting files to a lot of people in places all over the world in an efficient manner. It's great most of the time, since it means we can get a fast(ish) download from a nearby(ish) server instead of one halfway around the world. It's not always perfect, but I'm glad this technology exists. :eh:

In this case, we hit a snag and it was our own fault for not catching it sooner. I apologize to you (or anyone else) who was inconvenienced by this, and if I gave the impression that Google was to blame. Thanks for being passionate, and helping us make 1Password better by participating in the beta process! :blush:

• holgr
    holgr
    Community Member
    Options

Just a quick question about what update I should be seeing as my current version/understanding how Google treats beta versions:
    Based on https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPA4 the most recent version seems to be build 20160616 (6.3.1), but I have build 20160513 (6.3.1.BETA-4) installed right now. Glancing over the release notes I assume they should be identical? Which one should I be running now?

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@holgr the are indeed identical the latest beta is always the version that gets pushed to the play store just without the beta in the version number ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yep! The stable and beta releases are parallel currently. We don't have a new beta yet, but we will again soon. :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty what does soon mean ;) I hope it will be some time this week :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I dunno about this week. The devs may still be absorbing everything coming out of Google IO. But you never know... ;)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Well we will see ::dizzy: But I/O was nice I watched the live stream :dizzy:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

They Keynote was fun, but there's no way I'd have time for all 3 days' worth of sessions. :dizzy:

This discussion has been closed.