Seriously Cool Idea for a Feature - Paid site subscription field

Options
jrice
jrice
Community Member

How about this awesome idea for a feature... You could include a check box when you create a login that is for a website that you are subscribed to and paying for on a monthly or yearly basis. Maybe 1PW could group all the paid-sub sites in one folder, or maybe it could create a report with notes on when they renew, if a trial is about to expire and start charging your credit card, how much they cost, when you last logged in etc. etc.. Spotify, Prime, Lynda, etc. etc. ... Having all those subscriptions in one place would be very handy to look at and see what you are using and what you should cut.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Jrice. Thanks for your suggestion. I moved this to our Mac forum since it's more properly a platform feature. This would indeed be interesting. Many of the pieces are already in place (Sorting or searching by the last time the item was used, and tags for flagging these as subscriptions.) but some others would need some additional work. For instance, we have the Date field type now, but we don't have anything that's like an interval type to keep that date updated. What I mean is my Spotify membership renews every month on a certain day. I don't want that date to reflect just what the next renewal date was when I initially set it up. I would want it always to reflect my next upcoming renewal date.

There's also the hurdle of understanding what the last sign in time means. For instance, I use Spotify primarily in native apps on my Mac and iPhone. 1Password has no real way of knowing when I've used these, especially on iOS. Some of the other ideas you shared would need some additional field types and handling. The same would go for Lynda and to some extent Amazon Prime since I do much of my shopping on Amazon through their iOS app.

Personally, I track these kinds of things more through my financial tracking software than anything else as that's where I feel the pain. For me, in YNAB (I still use Classic…) I add a note to each of these renewing subscriptions with a #subscription tag in it. Then, it's easy to do a search for that #subscription tag in the memo field. If you're using Mint or another similar system, you can set up the same kind of tracking, generally automatically.

Thanks again for sharing your idea. Let us know if you have any additional thoughts, ideas, or suggestions. It's passionate users like you that help us make 1Password better every day.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.