Unwanted new browser tabs

Options
PonchoHarley
PonchoHarley
Community Member

This issue appeared out of nowhere today. While browsing in Firefox on Max OS 10.11.4, new tabs keep appearing by themselves from 1Password asking me to sign in. One tab after another pops up. And if I shut Firefox down, it starts up again on it's own and the 1Password sign in tab again appears, one after another.
I have not signed in on these new tabs for fear of a security breach of some sort. Has anyone experienced this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @PonchoHarley ,

I can confirm this is not a security breach. And it seems a lot of people are experiencing this today.

Here is the explanation of what is happening, followed by a solution.

When you set up sync to iCloud, you were asked to log in to iCloud with your AppleID. In return Apple provided 1Password with a "token" so it can continue to log in and sync your 1Password data without asking you to log in each time. These tokens do not have a definitive expiry date, but they can expire. Usually this happens when you change your password or security settings for your AppleID. However, this morning, I too got prompted for login, so it appears Apple has expired many (if not all) of these tokens earlier today.

Now, on to the reason for the multiple prompts. What should happen when the token expires is that you simply get prompted for your AppleID once and then it syncs again. Unfortunately, there is a bug where the token is not saved by 1Password after it expires and you get prompted. So every time 1Password tries to sync it prompts you again. This bug has been fixed in an upcoming update to 1Password so this should be the last time you see this. In the future, it will tell you why you are being prompted for your AppleID, and should prompt you only once.

I do apologize for the inconvenience this is causing, but we do have a solution for you. The instructions to do this are:

1. Open the 1Password application and go to Preferences and click on Sync.
    2. Select the Primary vault and set Sync to none. Do not check the box to remove data from iCloud when asked. You want to leave it there.
    3. Set Sync back to iCloud and it will ask you to log in with your Apple ID one more time. This should be the last time, until your login token expires at some point in the future.

Again, please accept our apologies and let us know if you need assistance with the above instructions.

Regards,
    Kevin

• PonchoHarley
    PonchoHarley
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the helpful reply Kevin. I also inquired by email and got a prompt response from Andrew. Simply going into System Prefs on the computer and logging in my Apple ID cured the problem.
    But to make doubly sure, I just went ahead with the steps that you provided. All is good once again.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PonchoHarley On behalf of Kevin, you're welcome! I'm glad to hear it's all fixed now :chuffed:

• PonchoHarley
    PonchoHarley
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Pilar. Never seen such fantastic support on an app!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PonchoHarley Thank you very much for you kind words! We're always happy to help! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.