Why move to Families?

Options
johnbeaty
johnbeaty
Community Member

This is not a troll. I've been using 1PW for several years. My wife, my son and I all share a "shared" vault and we each have a personal vault. This works as well as we need, but maybe there are features in Families that work even better! But I have no idea, as I haven't been able to find a comparison between shared vaults and Families. I tried the Families trial, but life got in the way before I could really explore. If it's got new stuff we need, I'd be happy to buy it.

FYI, I've read the various descriptions of Families, and haven't found them to be particularly edifying. It's the difference between the two methods and any other new features that I'm interested in. We're syncing 5 macs, maybe 12-15 iOS devices, 2 Windows machines and an android. Everything is as up to date as we can be.

Thanks

John

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @johnbeaty,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. You ask a great question.

Can’t I already share vaults with 1Password?

The ability to share vaults via Dropbox is not going anywhere, but 1Password Families is much, much more than just another way to share vaults. Here are some of the things you can do with 1Password Families that aren’t possible otherwise:

• Share and sync without the need of a third-party sync service. Setting up syncing with Dropbox can be confusing for some folks. With 1Password Families, you sign in and all your data is there.
    • New vaults automatically show up for family members. When you create a new vault, you can add people to it automatically. They don’t need to do anything to see it and begin using it on their end.
    • Set permissions for each family member on each vault. Some passwords can be set to read-only, for example.
    • Recover accounts if your family members forget their Master Passwords. This is a huge one. We have always prided ourselves on our security model which has no back door. While we still can’t recover anyone’s accounts, you can now recover accounts for your family.
    • View, edit, and add items from any browser. The 1Password Families web app means you always have access to your data even if you are away from your main devices.

If any of these sound interesting, you can easily try 1Password Families for yourself alongside your existing setup (as it sounds like you have already done a bit).

Will this be hard to implement and support for all my family members?

A lot of folks have family members away at college or otherwise living in different parts of the world. We're no different at AgileBits, so we completely understand. Being the IT person for your family can be a lot of work, but 1Password Families should make it much easier.

I know this might not be exactly what you were asking, but I want to be sure to mention that you and your family have access to our support 7 days a week. You can contact us on Twitter, Facebook, or here in our support forum. We have a team dedicated to replying quickly to everyone who needs our help. I hope my own response is some indication of that. :)

1Password Families is super easy to set up.

1. Create your Family account.
    2. Invite other family members to join from within your account. They click a link in an email to accept the invitation.
    3. Then they can simply sign in right from the existing 1Password apps (which they may already have installed). All the vaults they have access to in the Family account will automatically show up for them.
    4. Moving data between vaults is a couple clicks. You may already be familiar with the procedure yourself if you have ever moved items between your existing vaults.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• darilds
    darilds
    Community Member
    Options

My company uses the Team version. If I purchase the Family version can I sync my Family vault with my work PC running the Team version?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@darilds

Yes, you can sync multiple teams & family vaults to different devices. You could also use the web interface to gain access to your family account as well.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @darlids,

What @thightower said is correct: you can either add several accounts to the main app on your work PC, or if you only need your Family data available every now and then you can just access it via the web interface. Please let us know if you have any other questions that we can help you with! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.