Where are unsaved passwords persisted?

Options
chandler
chandler
Community Member

I recently got a new computer and moved my 1password file onto it. I discovered that a couple of my passwords were missing on the new computer, the password item was present, but the password was not.

When I checked on the original computer, I found that the missing password was in the "resume editing" unsaved state.

It seems like, unsaved passwords are persisted on the mac somewhere, but it's not in the 1 password file. Where are these unsaved passwords persisted?

Observation: It's very easy to forget to save a password and always use it in the unsaved state. This has happened to me twice. I think this unsaved should probably be persisted into the 1password file so that it can be backed up. If I had lost the original computer, I would have lost the password to my backups over this : |

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @chandler,

Thanks for your question about items in the 'Resume Editing' state. I'm sorry if that caused some confusion for you!

I recently got a new computer and moved my 1password file onto it.

I'm not sure which file you mean, but I'm guessing you're referring to a .agilekeychain or .opvault sync file? If so, you're correct that unsaved changes are not saved there. When you edit an item in a local 1Password vault but don't save the changes (which results in the "Resume Editing" state), those unsaved changes are stored as a separate ".changes" file in the Data directory for 1Password on your Mac.

In order for those changes to sync elsewhere, you would need to click the Resume Editing button and then click Save. At that point, the changes would be made to your SQLite database on that Mac, and also copied to your sync file (assuming one of the sync options is enabled).

I hope this helps explain how that works! We certainly don't want you to lose any data because you weren't aware you had items with unsaved changes, so perhaps we'll be able to improve how this works in the future. If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know. :)

ref: OPM-1661

• chandler
    chandler
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, this explains everything. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.