I recently changed my startup disk to a SSD ext HD and I've kept the original internal HD

Options
Jobo
Jobo
Community Member

I don't use the orig. HD but want to keep it as a second backup should problems arise. When I was about to update to your latest version just now, a message said I have 2 copies of 1PW. That's true. Actually, 3 if I count my regular backup HD which is currently not turned on. So 1 copy on my SSD startup and one on my original internal HD. Obviously, I don't want to remove my 1PW 6 from my original HD should I ever need to use it, so can I go ahead and upgrade without a problem given that copies are on separate disks? Both copies are the same latest version before the new update you've just announced.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@jobo

You can always download a current version of 1Password should you need to do so. https://agilebits.com/downloads
    The team always maintains a copy of the app and currently you can go all the way back to version 3.8.22

What your seeing is a way to keep 1Password mini from being opened from the wrong location and causing issues. The workaround is to remove the extra copy or Eject the drive, then update is likely the safest.

It would likely be the best & least troublesome to also exclude the app from your future backups.

One other way is to zip or compress the 1Password application on the external drive if you wish to maintain it. Then update.

• Jobo
    Jobo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response. Let's see if I understand. You're suggesting I should move 1PW in the internal HD (not usually used) into the Trash? And then delete trash? Then update 1PW on my startup ext. SSD disk? In the future, should I ever need to use the internal HD, I then go to your downloads and reinstall version 6? Is that what you are saying?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @Jobo,

If OSX finds more than one copy of 1Password mini it can launch the wrong one, that's why we always ask to have just one copy of the app. What you understood is correct: keep the copy on the main disk that you use and delete it from other drives. If you ever need it you can download it again.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jobo: Indeed. And I'll add that this isn't an issue that will affect everyone. It's rather unpredictable, but also harmless except for being a nuisance. But we do want to inform users that keeping multiple copies could result in some trouble down the road if OS X happens to launch the wrong copy of 1Password mini. It's not the end of the world, but I think we all prefer that that things go smoothly. Cheers! :)

• Jobo
    Jobo
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Got it. I'll delete the copy on the internal HD used only in an emergency, but for convenience sake will retain a copy on my regular backup I make every day but then switch off, so it is not in use except during the backup 20 minute periond.
    Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Brenty, you are quite welcome! :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

This discussion has been closed.