Questions about 1Password Families account

Options
plouffejj
plouffejj
Community Member

I have set up the 1Password families account and have some questions before I continue.
Is the app for families the same as the stand-alone app on my mac?
Can they coexist, i.e. do the items get moved to the families account?
And what can be done (or should be done) with the original 1Password app?
Can another family member be authorized on the main vault?
We currently have the 1Password version below on our mac and whatever the latest IOS version is on our devices.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 5.5.5
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @plouffejj,

Thank you for writing in with your questions about the 1Password for Mac app and your 1Password Families account!

Is the app for families the same as the stand-alone app on my mac?

Yes, the same 1Password for Mac app can be used for your Families account as well as for your local vaults (i.e. vaults that aren't part of your Families account). If you've been using 1Password since before you signed up for a Families subscription, then it sounds like you already have at least one local vault in 1Password for Mac. You can add your Families account from 1Password > Preferences > Teams (or Accounts).

Can they coexist, i.e. do the items get moved to the families account?

Local vaults and Families accounts/vaults can certainly coexist in 1Password for Mac, but the items in your local vault(s) won't be automatically moved to your Families account. However, it's very easy to move them from one to the other, and we have steps to do that here: How to migrate to a family or team

And what can be done (or should be done) with the original 1Password app?

I'm not sure I understand - do you have more than one copy of the 1Password app on your Mac? If so, what are the names of the 1Password app files, and where are they located?

Can another family member be authorized on the main vault?

Are you asking how to share a vault with another member of your Families account? If so, we explain how that works here: How to share vaults with your family and manage permissions

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know. We're here for you! :)

• plouffejj
    plouffejj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,
    Thanks for responding. My misunderstanding is with what happens to the items we currently have locally. Once they're moved are they then managed at the "family" level?
    And are they really removed from the local vault?
    Should you keep a local vault just in case and how would that get synced up with the working vault?
    Maybe the secret is to try a couple and see what happens.
    If you haven't guessed by now, I'm still somewhat unsettled about having my "stuff" in the cloud.

• Jacob
    Options

@plouffejj It depends on whether you moved or copied those items. In our migration guide, we recommend moving the items. Once you do that, they are no longer available in your original vault. You can keep it if you'd like, but so long as you have an internet connection, your data will be available on 1Password.com and any other devices you've signed in to with your account. No need to worry about sync time or anything like that. :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions. I hope this helps for now.

• dtperk
    dtperk
    Community Member
    Options

A follow-up question for penderworth: In reference to your comment above that "as long as you have an Internet connection, your data will be available on 1Password.com" and your other signed into devices, does this mean that if I don't have an Internet connection at any given moment, I will not be able to access my Families account passwords? In other words, if I'm at a location where I can't get wi-fi on my iPad, does that mean I can't see my passwords? Thanks.

• Jacob
    Options

@dtperk Thanks for the follow up. If you don't have an internet connection, you can still access things offline in any of the apps, just not on 1Password.com because that's in the browser. ;) Feel free to use 1Password on the go.

This discussion has been closed.