"1Password has encountered a problem"

Anyone else getting this message?
Has anyone else been getting this error message (see the full message below)?

I have 1Password for Windows (v 1.0.5.190, but I've had this problem since many versions earlier), Windows 7 64-bit and Internet Explorer 9, with all current patches and updates applied.
The message pops up after every two or three successful logins (usually! - see later), when I click on the "1Password" button or use Ctl-backslash, followed by "Go and Fill Login". The full message is something like: "1Password has encountered a problem navigating to web site http*****... Restarting your web browser may correct this problem". Invariably restarting IE9 (followed, of course by my lengthy sign-in to 1Password) works fine, but after two or three logins the error returns.

Reinstalling IE9 makes no difference. Full removal and reinstallation of 1Password (yes, I have tried re-downloading 1Password) improves matters for a while, before the problem returns.

I have searched in Google and on the Agile forums, but it seems others have only received this message in different contexts. It's got to the point I feel like junking 1Password.

(S**'s law - I've been trying to persuade 1Password to repeat the fault so that I could double-check the error message and I've logged into about 10 sites with no problem!).

Help, please!

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Hi psd!

First let me welcome you to the forums and to apologize that we haven't responded earlier. Sometimes it is easy miss a forum post.

I've never heard of the behavior that you report, so this is a bit of a mystery. I'd like to ask you to try a couple of things.

First could you go to File > Repair 1Password Data in the menubar. I doubt that this will be related, but it might tidy things up.

I'd also like to ask you to try our Beta version. Even though it may not fix the problem, it has some improved diagnostics that will help us nail things down if the problem recurs. You can switch the the Beta versions in Preferences > Updates and checking the box by "Include Beta versions."

I'm sorry that I don't (yet) have a more definitive solution for you, but this should get us moving toward that.

Cheers,

-j
  • psd
    psd
    edited May 2011
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply - must admit I felt a bit neglected when I heard nothing at first (should've guessed it was an oversight).

I've done the file repair (it was so quick I don't think it found anything - it reported "Your 1Password data is healthy"), checked my preferences and installed the latest beta (1.0.6 beta 194) as you suggested. It's a bit too soon to see any results from either of these, but I'll give them a go and let you know what happens.

I guessed my problem must be rare, given that no-one else seemed to be complaining about it, but it is a real nuisance and it's come back with a vengeance since my post.

That seems to be the pattern - no problems for a while, then almost every attempt to use it from within my browser (IE9) fails with that same error message "1Password has encountered a problem...".

Regards,
    Paul
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    psd wrote:

"1Password has encountered a problem navigating to web site http*****... Restarting your web browser may correct this problem".

Have you tried to repair Internet Explorer? Instructions are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

• Have you tried to repair Internet Explorer? Instructions are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Hi Stefan,

I'd done a complete reinstall of IE9 (see my original post), but I visited the link you suggested anyway and tried both solutions they propose (first MS's "Mr. Fixit" wizard, then a "Reset" of IE9). I'm also getting Beta updates of 1Password, and used the "Repair Data" menu option, both suggested by Jeff.

After all this I still get exactly the same error, if anything more frequently - about every second time I try a login I get "An error occurred while navigating to https://www1..../logon?=.... Re-starting your web browser might correct this problem." It occurs with many different websites, so it's unlikely to be the website design (I occasionally get a different message "the login is on another domain", but that only affects certain websites and does not interfere with other logins). My PC is an HP EliteBook 8540p, which is generally reliable and has shown no peculiarities.

I like 1Password (and sync it to various Apple devices), so it will be a shame if I have to give it up because of this.

I am in Hong Kong so your day is my night, unfortunately, which slows things down a bit.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    psd wrote:

(I occasionally get a different message "the login is on another domain", but that only affects certain websites and does not interfere with other logins).

Yes, that message is unrelated to the "has encountered a problem" message.

The "<frame> on another domain" message means you've encountered a web site on which the login page has been coded in such a way that the part of the page containing the login form (typically username, password, and submit button) is enclosed in an HTML <frame> tag, and the contents of that frame are loaded from a location with a different domain than the URL of the login page itself.

1Password needs to perform a little bit of scripting to save and fill forms, but Internet Explorer considers "cross-domain scripting" a potential security risk and refuses to allow 1Password to proceed. All 1Password can do is let you know, which is the purpose of that message.

Firefox and Chrome do not make the same restriction, so we can only suggest using one of those browsers for such web sites.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    For some reason, IE is unstable on your system. Repairing IE usually fixes this problem. As an alternative, have you tried Firefox or Chrome?

• For some reason, IE is unstable on your system. Repairing IE usually fixes this problem. As an alternative, have you tried Firefox or Chrome?

Hi Stefan,

First, I'd like to answer David's post - yes, I understood that business about logins on another domain. I wanted to use Internet Explorer and the problem doesn't bother me . Guess that's also answered your post, Stefan - I have tried Chrome and Firefox but I didn't notice a speed increase and I am used to IE.

There is something odd about the security settings. A few versions ago, 1Password for Windows was known not to work with IE in protected mode. Agile subsequently got it to work but I never managed to turn protected mode back on - IE seemed to ignore my settings. When I did the repair, MS's "Mr. Fixit" wizard claimed to have enabled "Data Execution Prevention", but unlike with IE8, with IE9 there's no shield in the status bar to tell you you are in protected mode, so I don't know if it's working or not.
  • I posted the original message a while back, so here's a status update:

I tried using Firefox 4 (haven't tried 5 as it hadn't come out then), no problems with 1Password, but (to me) a lot of usability issues with Firefox, so I went back to IE9 (I'd been using Firefox as my default browser, but had kept IE9 on the system). After going back to IE9 I had no problems for so long that I almost posted that the problem was solved. Until today - suddenly it was worse than ever. As before, now that the problem has returned I usually get it on every second attempt to go to a secure page (today I got the message on first opening IE9 and attempting to use 1Password - *that* never happened before).

I have an HP "EliteBook" with Intel i7 processor and 64-bit Windows 7, so it's mainstream, not some obscure no-name brand. It's a little over one year old - old enough for bugs to be "sorted" and not old enough to be out of date - and has had all HP updates, including firmware, as well as all MS patches. As far as I can tell none of these updates have affected he behaviour of 1Password and there's no outstanding problem reported to HP or MS Support.

So, a complete mystery, then.
  • MikeT
    edited July 2011
    Hi PSD,

Microsoft did release a couple of updates for Internet Explorer 9 and we released updates as well, so there has been changes but we don’t know what caused this to regress for you. Can you tell us which version of 1Password you’re using now? You should see the information by opening 1Password and go to Help > About 1Password.

Have you try to repair IE again from Stefan’s previous suggestion?
  • MikeT wrote:

Microsoft did release a couple of updates for Internet Explorer 9 and we released updates as well..
    Have you try to repair IE again from Stefan’s previous suggestion?

Hi Mike,
    I can't be 100% sure, but I think my problem returned just before MS's second "patch Tuesday" on June 28 (I applied the patches on 29 June, HK time). I've got beta updates turned on, so my current version of 1Password is 1.0.7 Beta 203 (the latest, I think). I've has this problem a long time and have not noticed any effect from updating 1Password. Apart from that trouble-free period I mentioned.

I've also tried to repair IE at least twice, both by resetting and by uninstalling and re-downloading/reinstalling it, so I doubt that's the cause of my trouble. I'll give it another go anyway and tell you the result.
  • MikeT
    edited July 2011
    Hi psd,

Can you email us at support@agilebits.com with a link to this thread, we’ll be able to help you further there. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.