Custom icons

Options
DaveyDave
DaveyDave
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Families

Can you explain when custom icons should sync between the Mac and iOS apps when using Families? I understand that custom icons cannot be added through the browser interface. Does that also mean they won't sync between devices?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3 Mac / 6.4.1 iOS
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @DaveyDave! It depends on what kind of icons we're talking about. Vault or item ones? Both should be consistent across your devices, but let us know more on the specifics so we can test and troubleshoot. :)

• DaveyDave
    DaveyDave
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth I'm talking about custom icons that I assign to items. For example, I use Secure Notes for my wallet items. I do this so I can keep all of my identification-type items together in one category and fully customize the fields.

Note: I realize that I can add custom fields to other categories, but some categories have sections that cannot be deleted. For example, the "Identity" category would normally be ideal for storing all of my identification-type items (e.g. credit cards, licenses, reward programs) together in one category, but it has an "address" section with a "country" field that is automatically populated. Because that "address" section cannot be deleted from the template, each item I create has a partially completely address showing just "Canada". Therefore, I use Secure Notes with a custom icon because the template is more flexible for customization. I begin the title of each item with "Identification - " to ensure that they are grouped together. Another reason I don't use the special wallet-type categories available in 1Password is that they are not listed in alphabetical order making navigation difficult when you have many categories. (My eyes are aging and slow to focus!)

I have created all of my my identification items as Secure Notes on my Mac using the same custom icon for each. However, the custom icons do not behave consistently when synced with my iPhone and iPad. The custom icon appears for some items, but the standard Secure Note icon appears for others. Some items that originally properly displayed the custom icon on my iOS device revert back to the Secure Note icon if the item (but not the icon) is edited. In that case, the custom icon is still showing on my Mac. Each of these items is in my "Personal" vault.

• DaveyDave
    DaveyDave
    Community Member
    Options

Another update. This only happens when the items are stored in my Personal vault. If I create an item with a custom icon in my Primary vault and then move it to my Personal vault, the icon appears on all devices UNTIL I edit the item on one device. Once I've edited the item, the display of the icon become inconsistent.

Also, if I create an item with a custom icon directly in my Personal vault, the icon does NOT appear on my other devices. It seems that the only way to make the icon appear on all devices is to:

• create the item with the custom icon in a local vault
    • move the item to a family vault
    • do not edit the item after it has been moved to a family vault
  • nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

@DaveyDave thanks for bringing this to our attention. I wasn't able to recreate this exact problem -- items created in the Personal vault and then assigned a custom icon synced fine between my Mac and iPhone -- but I did see that changing the icon more than once doesn't seem to sync across. (At least not as quickly as the first change did.) I've let the development team now about the issue 8-)

ref: B5-1672

This discussion has been closed.