Blank 1Password window

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Very Slow to Unlock 1Password after Mac has been idle.

Comments

• passhoop
    passhoop
    Community Member

I've got a similar situation with 1P ver. 6.3 for Mac (El Capitan, 10.11.5). When I've reduced the window into the 1P icon in the Dock, if I let the application stay idle for an extended period, the next time I click the 1P Dock icon, I get a window filled with gray, with only the red close button. I have to quit 1P and restart it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@passhoop: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion since it sounds like you're describing a very different issue altogether.

Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

When you "close 1Password and restart it", can you tell me how you're doing this exactly? Thanks in advance!

• passhoop
    passhoop
    Community Member

Thanks brenty. After having this occur 15-20 times over the last few months, I'm having trouble replicating it now. As soon as I can, I'll include the screen shots. The sequence that I've followed is: (1) open 1Password and use it, usually for one or more website logins using Safari, (2) shrink the 1Password window into its Dock icon by using command+M (3) work in other apps for an extended period...usually 1-3 hours (4) try to access 1Password by clicking on the Dock icon (4) instead of the 1Password data window or its signin window, a small, horizontal, rectangular window "springs" out of the 1Password Dock icon into the center of my screen...the inside of the window is a uniform gray...the top of the window has the thicker border (toolbar?) and shows the three buttons on the left side, but only the Close button is colored (red)...when I click it, the window closes and 1Password quits. Thanks for your help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @passhoop,

Thanks for the additional details! That's very strange and I'm not sure why that would be happening. I don't think I've heard of this particular problem before, so if it happens again and you're able to take a screenshot, that might be very helpful for us.

Now, I noticed you said you launch the main 1Password app in order to sign into websites. Is there a reason you're doing that instead of simply using 1Password mini / the 1Password browser extension? If you have the browser extension installed, you shouldn't actually need to launch the main app to do that - instead, just click the 1Password extension icon in Safari and choose the Login item for the website you want to sign into.

Of course, the problem you're having with the main 1Password app shouldn't be happening, and it's certainly something we'll look into if it starts to happen again, but I wanted to mention the 1Password browser extension in case that makes things a little easier for you. Thanks, and looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• passhoop
    passhoop
    Community Member

Hi, Drew,
    Sorry, what I meant was that I usually use Spotlight to start up 1Password and open it so the extension and !P mini (great tool!!!) are all open.

Today, I was able to duplicate the problem. I opened 1Password this morning, used it several times, then command+M reduced it into its Dock icon. I got busy elsewhere and the iMac went to sleep. I awakened the iMac about 9 hours after last using 1Password. I used the Caffeine app to keep the iMac awake but never got back to use it. It just sat there, awake. 3 hours later, about 12 hours after last using 1Password, I got back to the iMac, checked my email...and, just to see if my old problem would recur, clicked on the 1Password Dock icon to see if 1Password would properly open, or, at least, give me a regular 1Password signin window. Result: the empty window sprung out onto my desktop (see image...sorry, my memory was faulty, the window was empty, not gray:-). When I clicked on the red button, 1Password quit, as it always does when this happens.

Hope this helps your analysis. 'Let me know if I can do anything to help isolate the problem. (Logs, etc.) Thanks.

• hi @passhoop,

could you generate a diagnostic report for us?

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Rudy

• passhoop
    passhoop
    Community Member

support ID is [#MZJ-53328-588]

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @passhoop,

We have received your diagnostics report, we'll be in touch soon! We'll continue the conversation over email :chuffed:

ref: MZJ-53328-588

This discussion has been closed.