1Password Teams vs Lastpass how can I justify the higher price?

Options
Aranir
Aranir
Community Member

Our company is currently evaluating a secure cloud storage for passwords.

We came down to two options at the moment:

1Password for Teams and Lastpass.

I am personally in favor for 1Password as I have used it for years personally, but I have a hard time to convince our boss why the much higher price tag per user ($48 (1Password) compared to $24 (lastpass) per user) can be justified.

What are the main arguments in favor of 1Password? What makes it worth double the cost?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

Good question, @Aranir.

I think it is great that your company is considering a password manager. I'm happy to talk about 1Password but do not wish to say or imply anything about any other product or service. :)

• 1Password comes with responsive support. I think this is one of the most important aspects of 1Password. This is especially true for a company. Time is money, after all. I hope my reply here is some indication of the kind of customer service you can expect from AgileBits. We are always available to help, whether there is a problem or if you just have a quick question. And we always love customer feedback.
    • 1Password protects your data using a publicly documented format. It's completely buzzword compliant—authenticated encryption: AES-256-CBC and HMAC-SHA256; key derivation: PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA512—but, more importantly, the format used by 1Password is available for scrutiny by you and the security community at large. You have secrets; we don't. Why our data format is public.
    • 1Password is the only password manager that has ever won a design award. As Steve Jobs once said, “People think it's this veneer — that the designers are handed this box and told, ‘Make it look good!’ That's not what we think design is. It's not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” 1Password is an Ars Design Award winner. This comes back to the notion that time is money. If everyone in the company can (1) start using 1Password quickly and (2) easily understand new features when they are rolled out, then your company saves money on time that would otherwise be lost trying to figure something out or fight with a new version.
    • 1Password is encryption-based rather than authentication-based. Our security architecture means that an admin on your company's team can recover accounts for other users. We at AgileBits can never do that. We simply cannot perform a traditional "password reset" for you. With traditional password reset mechanisms, your company secrets are only as secure as all your employees' email accounts. With 1Password, account recovery can only be initiated by an admin. Learn more in the 1Password Team Security Design white paper.

I hope that helps a little bit. But please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

Whatever you decide, stay safe out there!

• Aranir
    Aranir
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your quick answer khad.

It is true that 1Password has amazing support, but unfortunately the arguments presented before are currently not sufficient.

Our management can understand that 1Password is more intuitive to use, but that's not enough to justify double the price tag.

If there is anything more you could share which I could present in 1Passwords favor which is more facts based (rather than look and feel) it would be helpful.

Also in private that would be ok for us, but I need more than the current arguments to make the team vote in favor of 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

It is true that 1Password has amazing support, but unfortunately the arguments presented before are currently not sufficient.

@Aranir: I'm sorry to hear that, but of course "sufficient" is always going to be subjective. What one person values highly won't necessarily be at the top of another's list. We each need to decide for ourselves if the costs match the benefits we receive.

"It’s nothing ’til you don’t got one. Then it appears to be everything." — Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds

Much like a catalyzer won't matter to you until the ship's "dead in the water", support doesn't necessarily mean much until you need it. And then it's "everything". ;)

Our management can understand that 1Password is more intuitive to use, but that's not enough to justify double the price tag.
    If there is anything more you could share which I could present in 1Passwords favor which is more facts based (rather than look and feel) it would be helpful.

The fact is that software that is easy to use saves you time, and time is money: training, IT, etc. And if people like the software, they're likely to actually use it. In most cases, that doesn't matter, but when it comes to security, using 1Password means people aren't saving text files with login credentials...or reusing passwords.

Granted, none of this is going to save you money on a line item in your company budget, so if that's all management is looking at, there isn't much you or I can do to make them see the bigger picture. But feel free to email us directly at support@1password.com and we can brainstorm in more detail. Perhaps there's another approach that might work for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.