If your subscription lapses ...

hesspaul
hesspaul
Community Member

I'm considering switching to 1P for teams. Currently I have multiple vaults that I share with various other people through dropbox and quite happy, but interested to go more formal.

I'm confused by this statement: What happens if my subscription lapses? Don't worry, you will never be locked out of your account or your data. If your subscription ends, your account will be frozen but you will still be able to access, view and export all your data.

In my case, I can easily see adding and taking away team members over time. If I have 5 team members, and then stop paying for ONE of them, what will happen to his data, and to mine? Will he still be able to access things? Will I be able to change his permissions if I no longer want to give him access? I'm envisioning that my subscription will not lapse but other people might be added and then lapsed over time since I work in a pretty fluid environment.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @hesspaul,

Thanks for taking the time to write in about this. The only way to not be charged for a team member you've added to your account is to delete them entirely from it (which will cause them to lose all data contained within). It isn't possible to pay for person X & Y, but not person Z. You'd either pay your entire subscription fee, or not at all (which will cause your account and all users within to be come frozen until payment is received).

If your account is frozen you cannot add or edit any items, but you will still be able to view their details. You will lose access to the ability to fill items into web pages using the browser extension.

The subscription is for the team, not the individual. While the price is based on the number of individuals within your team, it isn't possible to make a partial payment for some individuals and not others.

I hope that makes sense but if you have any follow up questions please feel free to ask.

Ben

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member

@bwoodruff thanks for the reply!

So, assuming my team members also use and like 1Password, would it be feasible for me to cut someone off in the future by suggesting that they get a personal (non-team) 1P user license and then (through export/import?) migrate all of their data to a personal vault? If so, would that also include attachments?

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member

@bwoodruff Sorry to pile on but while I have you here is one more question. If my team members are already 1P users but I want to add them to my team (and pay for them), will they be able to continue to also use their own private vaults. Will they be able to keep whatever method of syncing they use for their private vaults (iCloud, dropbox, etc)?

For instance: If I set up a 5 person team for people (A,B,C,D and E). Can person D also have a private vault they share over dropbox with their wife whose name is F, and another private vault they use just for themselves?

Sorry to be so complicated but I'm trying to envision actual use cases for my fluid environment where I have teams of people for some projects but those people also have lives of their own and can't totally change their way of doing things.

• @hesspaul,

Yep, they can definitely move their data to a local vault if they've purchased a license. Then you can remove them from the team to stop paying for them on your subscription.

If using the move / copy function within the client apps to make this transition Documents will not be copied over to local vaults. They will need to be manually re-attached to the appropriate items.

Folks can have local vaults in addition to 1Password Teams vaults, yes. The two options are not mutually exclusive. Local vaults can then be synced via Dropbox or iCloud. They can also be signed into multiple 1Password Teams or 1Password Families (or any combination there of) accounts. They just can't be signed into multiple 1Password Accounts that are part of the same 1Password Team or 1Password Family on the same device.

So, I can have:
    Primary (local)
    Shared with Bob (local - synced via Dropbox)
    -- AgileBits Team --
    Personal (Team vault)
    Shared (Team vault)
    -- Woodruff Family --
    Personal (Families vault)
    Shared (Families vault)

etc

I hope that helps! :)

Ben

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member

@bwoodruff just want to make sure I am understanding because you used the word "if".

If using the move / copy function within the client apps to make this transition Documents will not be copied over to local vaults. They will need to be manually re-attached to the appropriate items.

Is there some other way they can transition which would include the documents manually?

• @hesspaul Reading through that, I think @bwoodruff had a bit of a typo. ;) There isn't currently another way to move Documents to vaults outside of a team account. Building a solution for this would be an interesting challenge, especially because you would have to choose a specific item to attach that Document to. For now, it's best to simply download them and attach them again. Hope that helps.

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

I guess I'll understand better when I try out 1P for Teams. In my current 1P all attachments are attached to specific items already.

I'm visualizing that a person migrating will have to first migrate all his items, then click on each and every item from his original vault, notice that there might be attachments to that item, download them, upload them to the same item in the newly imported vault, then go back and continue clicking and searching. Seems difficult. :'(

• @hesspaul Indeed you will. Take it for a spin when you get a few minutes! :) There's a free 30-day trial so you have plenty of time to set things up for your team.

To clear up the attachments and Documents thing, you don't have to save attachments and then upload them as Documents. Moving your data over to a team account does this automatically. I'm sorry there was some confusion about that. The manual move would be going back to vault outside of your account. That should be a lot less difficult in onboarding your teammates. Let us know how it goes!

• Not a typo, strictly speaking, but yes: perhaps the word "when" would have been more appropriate than "if" in this context. Sorry for any confusion caused! Glad to see penderworth has been able to clear that up for me. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.