Feature Request: iCloud syncing

James Scott Anderson
James Scott Anderson
Community Member
Will 1Password be able to use iCloud to keep data synced between my different devices?

Comments

• burgmanguy
    burgmanguy
    Community Member
    iCloud will be free with the upgrade to iOS 5, which will be available this coming fall. Will Agile have 1Password for Mac and for iPad upgraded to use iCloud as we now use Dropbox in time for the iOS 5 release?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Welcome to the forums, James.

That is a good question. Thanks to both you and burgmanguy for asking! :-)

We only just found out about iCloud along with everyone else. (We don't have secret spies in Apple.) There are a lot of details that we are still obtaining. Needless to say, we are excited about the possibility, but there is not really any way to give a better answer until we have more information.

We will keep you posted here in the forums, on the AgileBits blog, and via the AgileBits newsletter as soon as we have any more information to share.

Cheers,
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2011
    burgmanguy wrote:

iCloud will be free with the upgrade to iOS 5, which will be available this coming fall. Will Agile have 1Password for Mac and for iPad upgraded to use iCloud as we now use Dropbox in time for the iOS 5 release?

I am the Dropbox crusader around here and even I would love to see the iCloud option if it is possible.

NOTE:
    As to the actual implementation, as khad said, as always we will need to evaluate the forth coming details from Apple etc. Today was just day 1 after all.
  • it's only been a month, but just wondering if you've taken a look at the iCloud SDK and figured out if it's at least feasible. With recent 2nd security issue on Dropbox, I'm growing weary of that service.
  • Yes, since Dropbox now seem to want to claim over-broad rights to republish my Dropbox contents however they see fit (as long as they think it's good for Dropbox — which could just mean "someone was willing to pay us") I'd like to bail on Dropbox.

However, since SugarSync won't work with the iOS port, I'm kind of stuck — the WiFi sync would require me to manually start 1Password on my phone while I was on my home WiFi network, rather than Just Working whenever I started it with any data connectivity. Dropbox is currently the only option.

If no iCloud, could we at least have some additional services? I already have webDAV access, so being able to use that would be good :)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Tiny! And thanks for the feedback, stevenandres.

We are as excited about iCloud as you are! Apple announced this incredible new service in early June, 2011 at its annual WWDC event, and it plans to release iCloud to everyone sometime in the fall.

We immediately began digging into iCloud and how it might benefit our users. For now though, we're going to wait to announce any new features until they're ready to be released.

When we have more news we will be posting it on our blog, on Twitter, and in the newsletter:

Blog: http://blog.agilebits.com
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/1Password
    Newsletter: http://agilebits.com/company/newsletter
    (In 1Password for Mac, choose Help > Subscribe to Newsletter.)

Please keep an eye on these resources for more information. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.