Trouble brewing with Win Moble

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Lounge

As you probably must have heard by now, Microsoft has let go of what's left of Nokia for 350 million. Another 1850 jobs have been cut. Developers are dropping the Windows Phone ecosystem. What's the future of 1Password for Win Mobile and with regards to Families /Teams.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

We're really sad to hear about what happened with Nokia and wish the best for these folks who've lost their jobs.

No one knows for sure what's going to happen with Windows 10 Mobile, we are still going to ship 1Password for Windows 10 Mobile because we are building 1Password Beta on top of the Universal Windows Platform (UWP), which allows it to run on Windows 10 desktops/laptops (such as Surfaces, which is a popular device now ), mobile devices, Holo Lens, Xbox, and more in the future with the same code. 1Password beta for Windows 10 support Families / Teams already.

Microsoft is still investing very heavily in its Windows 10 + UWP APIs and we're seeing a lot of improvements toward this area in the latest Insider builds for Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile.

In addition, our work on 1Password Beta for Windows 10 is shared with the upcoming 1Password 6 for Windows desktop that'll run on Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows 10. We're using a unified C# codebase for both programs.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I have a Lumia 920 somewhere and it won't be replaced with another Lumia as of now. Best of luck with your Win Mobile offerings.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! I think it's really a shame that Windows phones never really took off, and that they seem like they're on their way out. Fortunately Microsoft seems to at least be maintaining good software support there, perhaps as a relative-freebie since they're supporting tablets of all shapes and sizes anyway. I never got into Windows phones myself since there wasn't ever a strong app ecosystem...but I definitely was envious of the hardware and OS at times. :eh:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi

If you have ever used the excellent Here Apps on Windows Phone 8.1, sadly, it is gone from Windows Mobile 10 as Here would have to rewrite the apps from scratch to make them WM10 compatible and they aren't going to do that. WP 8.1 Here Apps will still get bug fixes. Here Apps for WM10 will be deleted during the app updates. Microsoft Maps are inferior and there just isn't much choice for free maps in Win Mobile.

Here is just one of the notable exclusions from WM10. Waze was already without App updates 2 years earlier in Aug 2014.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. That's where Windows phones are really at a disadvantage. Even when Apple's Maps app was pretty hit or miss, iPhone users at least had Google Maps and some other options. :(

This discussion has been closed.