How do I add version 3 data to version 6 on different iMacs?

Options
jimb01
jimb01
Community Member

I have a new iMac I want to add version 6 1Password to. My old iMac has version 3.1.3 the exported data file is...
1Password 2016-04-29 225402 (179 items).agilekeychain_backup
Version 6 does nothing when I try to import it.

1Password Version: 3.1.3 + 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Yosemite
Sync Type: None as yet
Referrer: kb:agilekeychain-zip, ug:mac/new-computer-wi-fi, ug:mac/new-computer-elsewhere, ug:mac/new-computer-icloud, kb:agilekeychain-zip

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jimb01,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

If you want to continue using 1Password 3 on that old Mac and keep it in sync with 1Password 6 on your new Mac, you can sync with Dropbox on both of them. (The steps are a little different for the older 1Password 3, but we have a video showing how to set that up as well.)

Otherwise, if you really do just want to perform a one-time import of the data and be done with 1Password on the old Mac it might be easier if you still have access to the old Mac and are able to unlock 1Password on it. Is that the case? Or do you only have that one file?

• jimb01
    jimb01
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Khad,

Thanks for getting back.

The older iMac will no longer be used after I have re-installed everything I need on my new iMac.
    Currently both Macs are running and functioning.
    I have a Dropbox account but 1Password 3 does not allow or show Dropbox in the menu when I go to Preferences so I cannot Sync.

I Exported the data file from the application and tried to Import it into 1Password 6 but to no avail.
    1Password 3 is fully functioning on the old Mac at present but it looks like the data file will not be accepted on the new iMac as it is 1Password 6

• Jacob
    edited June 2016
    Options

@jimb01 You're running an older version of 1Password 3, actually. The last version we released was 3.8.22. You can check for updates within the app to get the latest version, or download it directly from this link and replace the app in your Applications folder. Once you do that, could you try syncing once more?

Let us know if that helps! :)

• jimb01
    jimb01
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the download... Thanks for the advice.. SO SIMPLISTIC in the end.. AWESOME!
    Now to get my head round the new layout.. TOP TEAM GUYS. Well done.

• Jacob
    Options

@jimb01 No problem at all, mate. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know. :) Have a great weekend!

• pkcowboy
    pkcowboy
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar problem, but search after search leads to non-functioning URL's such as the one above. I have spent several hours looking at all the possible ways to move my 400 entries of 1password data from Macintosh v3.8 to v6x. For reasons beyond my understanding, all support links fail to load (symptoms of reorganized support site) and the menus that are mentioned as allowing 1password to "start over" aren't there in the 1password 6 that I have. I've tried Export/import and loading the keychain file, but the files in the import dialog are grayed out in v6.x. Is there a definitive location where information on moving this data is available, or a simple way to move the data?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pkcowboy,

Sorry to hear this has been a trial for you! If you're using 3.8.22 and the Agile Keychain format, you should be able to just run 6.x on the same Mac as you have 3.8.22 and the data will be imported automatically. I'm guessing since you're here, you already tried that and it didn't work? Can you verify that for me?

• pkcowboy
    pkcowboy
    Community Member
    Options

There's always a catch. Old installation Mac OS X 10.6.8 can't be upgraded without destroying the reason that installation is being maintained. My understanding is that 1Password 6.x won't run on Snow Leopard.

New installation El Capitan does not seem to have the same path to a 1Password folder in an Application Support folder in the Library. Is there a location in El Capitan where I can move a copy of the old Agile Keychain? Is there a location in El Capitan where I can erase the 6.x files from the failed initial installation so I can start over "clean" with the old data? Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @pkcowboy,

Thanks for the additional details about your setup! You're right, you won't be able to run 1Password 6 on OS X 10.6.8. But don't worry, there are other ways to migrate your data.

Before getting to that, it sounds like you need to reset 1Password 6 on El Capitan? As long as you have version 6.3 or higher installed, that should be very easy to do:

• Open the 1Password app and make sure it's locked.
    • Go to Help > Troubleshooting > Start Over in the menu bar and follow the on-screen steps.

The next time you launch 1Password 6, it should be like running it for the first time. But before setting it up again, you'll need to do something to get your 1Password 3 data to El Capitan. The easiest way to do that is by syncing your 1Password 3 data with Dropbox:

• Sync your 1Password 3 data with Dropbox.
    • Allow the sync to complete.
    • On El Capitan, make sure Dropbox is installed and that it has downloaded the new sync file to the local Dropbox folder.
    • Launch 1Password 6 and choose your sync file from Dropbox (if necessary, select Find it elsewhere > Dropbox > Choose File).

If you don't want to use Dropbox, it's also very easy to copy your data file from version 3 on Snow Leopard to El Capitan and use it to set up 1Password 6:

• Open 1Password 3 and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Select the General tab.
    • Right-click somewhere in the Data File path and choose Show In Finder.
    • Copy the .agilekeychain file to El Capitan.
    • Launch 1Password 6 and select Find it elsewhere > This Mac > Choose File.
    • Select the .agilekeychain file you copied from Snow Leopard.

You should now have all your data in 1Password 6. Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. Cheers! :)

• pkcowboy
    pkcowboy
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks Drew, I've got it licked.

Manually copying over the agilekeychain file had not worked, but dropbox seemed to bless it and 1Password then accepted the keychain from that location.

At first I thought the reason I couldn't find the Troubleshooting "Start Over" selection was because I was using the original 6.2.1 that I had purchased. I replaced it with 6.3.1 and found "Start Over" was grayed out (.png attached?) I am curious why that would be unavailable (maybe I had not useful data). I just went ahead and deleted the test vaults I had created and merged the agilekeychain into the one-entry primary account. That has me up and running.

Kind of liked the old OS days with crisp fonts and clear paths to where preferences were stored, but the OS marches on inexorably towards a Windows-like experience. I'm waiting for them to square out the jelly beans and move them to the other side of the finder windows. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pkcowboy,

Sorry for the confusion. The "start over option is only available if 1Password is locked. As Drew mentioned:

Open the 1Password app and make sure it's locked.

I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out despite that! And here's hoping that OS X stays far away from the look of Windows. ;)

If we can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to let us know.

Have a great rest of your week!

• pkcowboy
    pkcowboy
    Community Member
    Options

I went back to 1Password v6 (now working great) and discovered the source of my confusion about the locked/unlocked state (if two people are communicating there is always a risk of confusion). In all these years, I had never clicked on the lock icon, so I thought it was telling me the data was safely locked away. Should have thought about it sooner and realized that the lock icon is not there to signify the current state of 1Password, but is the button to toggle between locked/unlocked states.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, that explains the confusion! Sorry if I wasn't clear enough about that in my instructions. But I'm glad you were able to find a workaround and now have things set up the way you want.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.