Looking for an advice - Families and/or Team?

Options
caebrasil
caebrasil
Community Member

Hi,

I use 1Password with my wife and with my partner. My partner and I are using the Teams Beta, we are enjoying it despite the lack of proper support for Windows (but I have read some threads about and I know you are working on it).

I would like to use Families with my wife too. My question is if I create a new Team with her or if I apply in Families. We are only 3 people but we have entirely different uses, personal and professional.

I have a current license for 5 users and we are using 3 licenses: my wife, my partner and me. I see no reason in paying Families and Teams at the same time, but I'm not sure of the differences between the two services.

What do you recommend?

1Password Version: multiple
Extension Version: chrome, safari and firefox
OS Version: OS X, iOS and Windows
Sync Type: Dropbox and Teams Beta

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @caebrasil,

Thanks for taking the time to write in about your situation. Really the only question is if there are any items that you would share with both your wife and with your business partner. If there are, then adding her to your Teams account and not signing up for Families makes sense. If however you are not planning to share any items with both your wife and your partner, then a separate Families account is probably the way to go (and actually has approximately the same cost as adding her to your Teams account).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• caebrasil
    caebrasil
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @bwoodruff , thanks for the answer. It's correct; I don't have items to share with both.

The biggest problem with making a Team account with my partner and a Families account with my wife is that I will need to pay two signatures for me, right?

It doesn't make sense for me, I'll love to have Team and Families, but if I need to pay 2 subscriptions, I prefer to choose one of them and my wife or my partner will have a not appropriate kind of account.
    Is that right or I'm not seeing another way to do that?

Other questions:

• With Team or Families account, can I have a Vault shared with some members and not everyone?

• If I decide to pay both ( Team and Families ) for me, them I will have 3 personal vaults (my actual/team/families ), or I can have just 2 of them, team and families, and eliminate my actual one?

My main computer is a PC, so, for now, I duplicated items shared with my partner because 1Password for Windows still not have compatibility with Teams.
    That's why I still don't get the Families version with my wife, this will be a mess on my iPhone and my Mac.

• There is an estimated date of when the Windows version will work with Team and Families?
    • I saw that 1P Teams have Standard and Pro version, Std have just 30 days of history. 1P Families have this history limitation? I can't find any information about...

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm a bit confused right now.

Best!

Caetano

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@caebrasil,

1Password Families would be a separate subscription from 1Password for Teams, yes. So you would technically have two subscriptions. However, the payment is automatic, and the actual cost is the same either way ($5/month to add a new team member or create a family account).

With Team or Families account, can I have a Vault shared with some members and not everyone?

Yes.

If I decide to pay both ( Team and Families ) for me, them I will have 3 personal vaults (my actual/team/families ), or I can have just 2 of them, team and families, and eliminate my actual one?

You will be able to remove the local vault that we call your Primary vault. The option is not yet available in the Mac app, but it should be soon. So if you wanted to just have the Personal vaults in your family and team accounts, you could do that. For now, you could always move all the items out of your Primary vault into the family and team Personal vaults, then hide the Primary vault from All Vaults by disabling it in preferences.

My main computer is a PC, so, for now, I duplicated items shared with my partner because 1Password for Windows still not have compatibility with Teams.
    That's why I still don't get the Families version with my wife, this will be a mess on my iPhone and my Mac.

Completely understandable!

There is an estimated date of when the Windows version will work with Team and Families?

We don't normally pre-announce release dates, as too many factors (some beyond our control) can affect them. We are working hard on it, though.

I saw that 1P Teams have Standard and Pro version, Std have just 30 days of history. 1P Families have this history limitation? I can't find any information about...

It's the same for 1Password Families: 30 days.

I hope that helps! But it does sound like it might make sense to wait until we have support for family and team accounts on Windows. That would be my suggestion to avoid driving yourself mad. :)

• caebrasil
    caebrasil
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Families would be a separate subscription from 1Password for Teams, yes. So you would technically have two subscriptions. However, the payment is automatic, and the actual cost is the same either way ($5/month to add a new team member or create a family account).

Ok, just to be clear: I will pay two subscriptions: $5/month each, or one subscription that will be valid for both? Sorry, I don't get it. :/

It's the same for 1Password Families: 30 days.

Items currently have a history of old passwords. This will continue to exist without this limit of 30 days, this is for deleted items only?

I hope that helps! But it does sound like it might make sense to wait until we have support for family and team accounts on Windows. That would be my suggestion to avoid driving yourself mad.

Yes, I will wait, I definitely don't want to be mad. :D
    I already create a family account, but I didn't use it.

I'm following the discussions about 1P for Windows; I can see you are working on it.

Thank you!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@caebrasil,

Ok, just to be clear: I will pay two subscriptions: $5/month each, or one subscription that will be valid for both? Sorry, I don't get it. :/

• 1Password Families is $5/month for up to 5 family members
    • 1Password Teams is $5/per person/per month

They are billed separately.

Items currently have a history of old passwords. This will continue to exist without this limit of 30 days, this is for deleted items only?

Right.

I'm following the discussions about 1P for Windows; I can see you are working on it.

:)

• caebrasil
    caebrasil
    Community Member
    Options

@khad , thanks!

Please send emails, put banners on airplanes, publish on the front pages of all newspapers around the world when the new version for Windows is released! :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@caebrasil,

Haha! I think we will definitely have to have some kind of party.

• tommyent
    tommyent
    Community Member
    Options

@khad you say 30 however I was told something else
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/292605/#Comment_292605
    :crazy:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tommyent, I'd trust Roustem on this one. He is the one who made the change in the code after all. :)

• tommyent
    tommyent
    Community Member
    Options

@khad cool good to know.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1:

• caebrasil
    caebrasil