1Password stand alone v Families v Teams

Options
gavcooper
gavcooper
Community Member

I have been a stand alone user since version 3 and bought a stand alone family license. I'm now at a point where my children need to create and store their own passwords. The new 1Password Families option appears to be the way for me to go, but at $5/month, it's currently more expensive than Teams at $3.99/month.

I can not find a comparison between Families and Teams, do you have one?

Are there no upgrade paths for to Families long time users like myself?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

@gavcooper

Families = $5 per month for 1-5 users (up to a max of 5 users). Additional users are $1.00 per month each.
    Teams = $3.99 per month PER user. * Would likely be with any current promotions.

As to upgrade paths, no not really, I am also a very long time user since 1Password 2. I moved over to Families during the beta phase. AFAIK the only upgrade situations are if you purchased a standalone license in the last month. In that case the staff may be able to assist you.

There were a few options during the beta phase, where if you signed up by xxx date, you received 2 additional users on the family plan for a max of 7 but that has now ended.

If you have any other questions feel free to write back, the staff will likely be stopping in soon. I however, have to turn in for an early 415 rise and off to my bill paying job. As another long time user, I personally feel you will like the new plans and sync service. I am not paid staff and I can say I have no issue with it at all. Seamless and flawless. Other than the occasional end user / behind the keyboard issue. :blush:

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@gavcooper Thightower has everything about covered. Just to reiterate, this is what the pricing looks like:

• 1Password Families: $4.99 per month for up to five members, with additional members costing $1 extra per month.
    • 1Password Teams: $4.99 per month per user. Earl's Early Deal makes the Pro plan cost the same amount instead of $14.99 per month.

There are discounts for signing up to be billed annually instead of monthly, but that's the basic breakdown. Which service you choose depends on your needs, but 1Password Families might be a better fit. Here's a comparison of the two:

• Teams is priced per-user (more flexible for companies).
    • Teams has fine-grained permission control.
    • Teams has more advanced management capabilities.
    • Teams will support custom groups.
    • Teams has more storage, more days of item history, more guests. Bigger numbers in general.

And there isn't currently any upgrade options from standalone versions of 1Password to 1Password Families. We see 1Password Families as an extension of the 1Password you already know and love, and it has features that end up incurring a monthly cost on our end, which is why it's a subscription service.

If you're more interested in 1Password Teams, Earl's Early Deal makes the Pro plan ("bigger numbers in general" is an apt description of the difference there, too, though it also has extra features) cost the same as the Standard plan. That's the upgrade option available there :)

Please let me know if I can answer anything else!

• Ymo
    Ymo
    Community Member
    Options

Landed to this forum with same question which I think you partially answered:

• What are the benefits for switching to new 1Password Families for current users with a 1Password 6 Stand Alone Family License?
    • Will you stop upgrading stand alone app?
    • Or will we be required to pay an upgrade fee for new versions as usual?
    • Is there new features with new 1P Families compare to stand alone version 6?
    • Or is it only a new pricing model which is more attractive for Teams (sounds like it) or simply new 1P users?

My wife and I have our own vault on separate desktops + a shared one. All syncing nicely via Dropbox, so accessible to all our mobile devices as well. Why should we switch to 1P Families?

Cheers

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Alright, let's take these line by line...

What are the benefits for switching to new 1Password Families for current users with a 1Password 6 Stand Alone Family License?

You'll get access to the latest-and-greatest 1Password apps and features; the ability to easily share information; access to your data on 1Password.com; and other features designed to provide a safe and simple way to share information with your family members.

Will you stop upgrading stand alone app?

We have no plans to stop upgrading the 1Password apps. In fact, we've been releasing updates left and right, and are beta testing some pretty big improvements to our Windows applications.

Or will we be required to pay an upgrade fee for new versions as usual?

If we release a paid upgrade and you aren't using 1Password Families or 1Password Teams, yes, you'll have to pay to upgrade.

Is there new features with new 1P Families compare to stand alone version 6?

Everything about 1Password Families is "new." The sharing features, web access, new Documents, etc. are new. But they are supported in 1Password 6 -- there aren't separate apps for 1Password Families or 1Password 6, everything is done in the same applications.

Or is it only a new pricing model which is more attractive for Teams (sounds like it) or simply new 1P users?

It's not "only" that, but yes, one of the nice things about these new services is that they provide more options for paying for 1Password. New 1Password users -- like existing 1Password users -- can decide whether they want to subscribe to these services or buy a license.

My wife and I have our own vault on separate desktops + a shared one. All syncing nicely via Dropbox, so accessible to all our mobile devices as well. Why should we switch to 1P Families?

Do you want to share multiple vaults? Do you have parents or children with whom you'd like to share information? Do you want to be able to access your data on 1Password.com or have upgrades and Pro features built-in to a monthly or annual cost? The answers to those questions will help you figure out if 1Password Families is right for you. Ultimately it comes down to what you want from 1Password.

Whew, I think that about covers it! Let me know if I can answer anything else :)

• cbarber
    cbarber
    Community Member
    Options

I have been away for several months and have not kept up to date with the changes/improvements to 1Password. Only just found out a couple of days ago.

Similar to some other users, I am struggling to see a real, tangible benefit to me regarding a ‘Family’ subscription plan vs my perpetual Family License. It is just my wife and I.

I should state off the top I am not a big fan of subscription models for all the common reasons, but I do realize they are currently a popular business plan. I have a few subscriptions so I am not totally against it.

My worry is that the stand alone versions will probably be phased out in the near future. I know the official line is ‘there are no plans’ to phase them out but I tend to disagree - as they say, ‘the horse has left the barn’. It is probably just a matter of time.

My concerns regarding the subscription model features are:

1. I would prefer not to keep my data on your servers. I am comfortable with iCloud and I had to repurchase 1Password at the full price a couple of years ago from the APP STORE after AgileBits made a change to syncing.
    2. I don’t need 1GB storage on your servers (often cited as a factor in your pricing).
    3. I would prefer not to use a browser to log into your servers to manage my accounts. I like doing it within the application on my computer or iOS device.
    4. Looking at our past history for two people, the family plan seems to work out more expensive. We use 1 Password on our OSX and iOS devices.

As a very happy user of 1Password I am concerned. So hopefully you can expand on why for two people a family plan hosted on your website will be a better choice given my apprehension.

Thanks.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My worry is that the stand alone versions will probably be phased out in the near future. I know the official line is ‘there are no plans’ to phase them out but I tend to disagree - as they say, ‘the horse has left the barn’. It is probably just a matter of time.

The standalone versions aren't going anywhere. Could that change at some point? I suppose it's possible, but there has been no discussion about making this a reality any time soon. We like and appreciate our customers too much to nix the standalone apps.

I would prefer not to keep my data on your servers. I am comfortable with iCloud and I had to repurchase 1Password at the full price a couple of years ago from the APP STORE after AgileBits made a change to syncing.

That is up to you. We've done quite a bit to secure our servers, including using an Account Key that makes your 1Password account even more secure by working together with your Master Password to protect your information, but you can continue to sync via iCloud.

I don’t need 1GB storage on your servers (often cited as a factor in your pricing).

Me neither, but it's nice to have the option!

I would prefer not to use a browser to log into your servers to manage my accounts. I like doing it within the application on my computer or iOS device.

Technically you only have to visit 1Password.com to do administrative tasks like invite new members or remove old ones. But yes, it would be nice to be able to do everything from the native apps that can be done from the browser :)

Looking at our past history for two people, the family plan seems to work out more expensive. We use 1 Password on our OSX and iOS devices.

This is because 1Password Families has recurring costs on our end in terms of storage, support, and development. But one of the nice things is that updates to the 1Password apps are included in the subscription costs. This makes more sense for new users -- $5 per month for 5 people is very different from $65 for the Mac app, $10 for the Pro features in 1Password for iOS, etc. -- but on a long enough timeline we believe that the extra features and included updates ensure that this makes sense for our existing customers too.

As a very happy user of 1Password I am concerned. So hopefully you can expand on why for two people a family plan hosted on your website will be a better choice given my apprehension.

You can continue to be a very happy 1Password user. We wouldn't be where we are today if it weren't for customers like you, and we genuinely do not plan to phase out standalone apps. It looks like you've done a lot of research on 1Password Families, so I'm just going to say that if the service doesn't seem like the right fit for you, there's no pressure at all for you to sign up for it now or in the future.

That being said, there couldn't be any harm in giving the service a shot. It's free, you have your license to fall back on, and you would have access to your data either way. Maybe you don't want to access your 1Password data in the browser today, but is that true all the time? And do you want to share information with your wife without having to use a shared Dropbox folder? Maybe you just want the added security provided by the Account Key. There are many reasons to give 1Password Families a shot and doing so won't affect your data.

I hope that addresses your questions and concerns :)

• Ymo
    Ymo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @nmott !
    I think that the subscription model is very attractive for new users, but less for people like me. On-going development for stand-alone is great news!
    Point taken though about the potential added security; but Dropbox is already paid for and I am fine with a single shared vault with my wife :)

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad you've found something that works for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.