Previously used passwords

MDBrown
MDBrown
Community Member

"Login" items show "previously used passwords" but "Password" items do not. I don't know if this is intentional, but I'd like to ask you to add the previously used passwords function to all items that record passwords. The ability to see at least the most recent previous password is always helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MDBrown,

The ‘Passwords’ category was originally designed as a fail safe for passwords that were generated by 1Password but not saved into Login items. I’m glad to hear you’re finding other uses for this category though, and I’ll let our team know that you’re interested in seeing some logging here. :)

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member

I don't fully understand what you mean by "A failsafe for passwords..." But that's ok.

FYI, I use the password item for things like files that are password-protected, Wi-Fi routers, and even the 1Password iOS app itself. These things require a password but no username. I suppose I could just use the login item for those things, but the password item seems more appropriate. Nevertheless, please pass it on and see if they can make an adjustment. As always, thank you so much for a fantastic service.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't fully understand what you mean by "A failsafe for passwords..." But that's ok.

@MDBrown: Sorry for the confusion! A "Password" item is saved when you Copy or Fill a generated password. That way if you don't save/update the login, you can find the password you used saved in a Password item. That's the safety net: not having to do a password reset on the account. :)

FYI, I use the password item for things like files that are password-protected, Wi-Fi routers, and even the 1Password iOS app itself. These things require a password but no username. I suppose I could just use the login item for those things, but the password item seems more appropriate. Nevertheless, please pass it on and see if they can make an adjustment. As always, thank you so much for a fantastic service.

That's a great point! However, while it's something we'll consider, I think we want to keep the Password category there for those times when we've "lost" one we need. And I'm a bit curious about your examples. Saving your Master Password inside your vault seems odd since you'd need to use it to get in, and we actually have a "Wireless Router" category already which is great for Wi-Fi passwords. In the end, I think it's best to use the type of item that fits the use, so it's entirely up to you. Personally, I prefer using Secure Notes for things that don't fit well in other categories, and I'll link to Megan's excellent blog post on this, in case she's too modest to do so:

Secure all the things in Secure Notes

And ultimately what we'd really like to do is make categories/types/templates more flexible in general. I think that wold be even more useful. Thanks for your feedback! :)

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Yea, saving my Master Password inside the app that the master password opens is silly, but I included it in my zeal to save every login I have in my world! There's no point to it, but blame it on the fact that 1Password motivated me to do it!

Actually, I do use the Wireless Router item for my wifi password. I was just using wifi login as an example of an item that doesn't need a username. But I take all your points with great appreciation.

I consider myself a 1Password power user, but I'm still learning.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yea, saving my Master Password inside the app that the master password opens is silly, but I included it in my zeal to save every login I have in my world! There's no point to it, but blame it on the fact that 1Password motivated me to do it!

@MDBrown: Hey, that's pretty awesome! I admire your dedication — and I've actually come up with a scenario where it might make perfect sense to save the Master Password in its own vault: if you have a Mac and an iPhone with your 1Password data and you forget the Master Password, you can't get into the vault on your Mac to retrieve it...but if you use Touch ID on your iPhone, you may be able to unlock 1Password there to get it! :chuffed:

Actually, I do use the Wireless Router item for my wifi password. I was just using wifi login as an example of an item that doesn't need a username. But I take all your points with great appreciation. I consider myself a 1Password power user, but I'm still learning.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense! Personally, I only use a tiny subset of the supported fields in my Wireless Router items. The thing I like about 1Password is that the "server / IP address", "AirPort ID", and "attached storage password" fields don't even show up to clutter the item details since I didn't enter anything into those.

And I'm right there with you: I learn something new everyday about 1Password, and about how others use it in ways I never would have thought of myself. Thanks for bringing this up, and be sure to reach out if you have any other comments, questions, or suggestions. Always a pleasure! :)

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member

One final comment on this. I just discovered that you can't save a Login item without putting something in the username field. So I can't use that to store the password of something like a password-protected file.

Although I understand that the Password category wasn't designed to be used directly, it does seem to be the appropriate category for things that have a password but no username.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

One final comment on this. I just discovered that you can't save a Login item without putting something in the username field.

@MDBrown: Hmm. That doesn't seem to be the case at all in my testing:

I was able to save a new login item with nothing in the username field both within the main 1Password app and using the browser extension. Can you tell me where you're seeing this behaviour?

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

I'm using the 1Password app (latest version) on my iPhone 6S running the latest version of iOS 9. When I try to create a Login item with no username, the Save button is greyed out. As soon as I enter a single character in the username field, the Save button becomes available.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MDBrown: Ahaaa. I knew there has to be something I was missing: you're referring to 1Password for iOS. You're absolutely right, it isn't possible to manually create a new login item without a username. But one workaround, as it sounds like you've noticed, is to just delete the username after creating the login. That's an extra step though, so we'll see if it makes sense to make it more flexible. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

ref: OPI-3592

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Silly me. I've always thought that the password category was there specifically to record passwords that do not have nor require additional info, such as documents and software like quicken as mentioned above. I also have my vaults passwords in this category, as are my Apple passwords, garage code, etc.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlgleason51,

It’s great that you’re finding multiple uses for the Passwords category! This category was named ‘Generated Passwords’ back in the days of 1Password 3, which perhaps made it a bit clearer as to its intended purpose, but the name was updated in 1Password 4 to simplify things. This simplification has led people to store more things in the category, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with that! The important thing is that you can find the information you need, when you need it. :)

This discussion has been closed.