"Please Unlock 1Password..." message too intrusive

Comments

• I can't promise that this'll be fixed in the next update. Unfortunately it is proving to be more difficult to address than we had hoped. But we are trying to come up with some middle ground.

Ben

• Pitnicker
    Pitnicker
    Community Member

Hi there,

Please stop that message from popping up every time and several times in a row. It is really annoying.

Thank you

Pit

• Hi Pit,

At the moment the only way to stop the message is to switch to a different sync method. We hope to have a solution for Wi-Fi sync in the future, but it may be a bit down the road.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Ben

• karenrile
    karenrile
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

I just want to say that this message is driving me crazy, too! It pops up constantly.

• I'm sorry about that, @karenrile. As I mentioned we do hope to have a better solution for this in the future but at present the only workaround is to use a different sync method. If you'd like help switching over please let us know.

Ben

• karenrile
    karenrile
    Community Member

I used to use Dropbox, and I see that my dropbox has a lot of old 1Password files-- I'm afraid if I go back it will overwrite the current files, which would be a disaster. Thanks--I realize this is the wrong thread to ask this question.

• No problem @karenrile. If you'd like to start a new thread we'd be happy to help with that.

Ben

• siliconsys
    siliconsys
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

How hard is it to fully remove the popup or turn it into a non-intrusive banner? An hours work at most.

You have multiple threads where people are complaining it's an issue, yet your only response is to switch to a different sync method. Switching to a lower security sync method is not a solution, it's a security hazard. You guys of all people should know that.

You do realize that the people that are using wifi sync most likely are doing so because they don't trust all of their passwords to be stored on a third party service? That was the whole reason I switched to your app over your competitors. Our company's security policies do not allow storing passwords on public services of any kind.

It's a shame the feature is crippled because of user interface issues you are aware of and don't care to fix. It turns a nice polished app into a pain in the butt to use on iOS.

I count seven new iOS releases this year since it was brought to your attention.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

It's a shame the feature is crippled because of user interface issues you are aware of and don't care to fix. It turns a nice polished app into a pain in the butt to use on iOS.

It's not that we don't care to fix it. We are aware of this issue and hope to release the fix soon, but as with all product development, sometimes we have to prioritize some improvements over others. But I do understand your frustration with this error message :(

You have multiple threads where people are complaining it's an issue, yet your only response is to switch to a different sync method. Switching to a lower security sync method is not a solution, it's a security hazard. You guys of all people should know that.

Just in case someone else finds this thread: Syncing your 1Password data via iCloud or Dropbox is safe. If it wasn't, we wouldn't have made syncing data via those services an option in 1Password.

How hard is it to fully remove the popup or turn it into a non-intrusive banner? An hours work at most.

I think the same thing about installing a window, but that doesn't mean it won't take a while to build or renovate a house :)

• siliconsys
    siliconsys
    Community Member

You may think it's safe as you control it. I don't have access to the code so I don't know. Any method that stores secure data on a public cloud outside of your control (encrypted or not) is less secure than maintaining full control of the data. There is no possible argument there.

You are asking us to trust you, which is one of the biggest downfalls in security. I prefer to keep personal control over all of my passwords and keys. It seems like quite a few others in this thread feel the same.

Bottom line, there is no reason for me to have to trust you or most anyone else with local sync. Switching to public cloud sync introduces many points of trust between you and I and the cloud. Trading convenience for security is bad business.

And yes, it is pretty simple. Your example is apples to oranges. We are just asking you to fix the window you broke months ago. Had this been the case in the beginning I never would have purchased the app.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

We can agree to disagree on syncing with someone else's servers. You feel most comfortable with Wi-Fi Sync and so do other customers. I did, too, and used Wi-Fi Sync until I read the 1Password Teams security design white paper and started using 1Password Families. What works for one might not work for another. It's a good thing 1Password supports both!

And yes, it is pretty simple. Your example is apples to oranges. We are just asking you to fix the window you broke months ago. Had this been the case in the beginning I never would have purchased the app.

We are fixing that window, and sooner rather than later. :)

ref: OPI-3314

• You may think it's safe as you control it. I don't have access to the code so I don't know.

Actually...

AgileBits Blog | You have secrets; we don’t. Why our data format is public

While the code is not public, the data format is. You can see exactly what is stored when you sync.

Ben

• CityGal
    CityGal
    Community Member

Hello

I do not consistently see this message (Please unlock 1Password on your Mac for WiFi syncing to continue...). I didn't see it for a few weeks. I have an iPad, an iPhone, and an iMac, all running the most current versions of 1Password. I don't use my iMac as often as the iOS devices. I always make a point of opening up 1Password on the iMac and syncing both iOS devices to it when I do. A few days ago I logged onto the iMac and opened up 1Password on all devices to sync. And they did sync. But ever since then I keep getting this notice when I open it on one or both of the iOS devices, despite the very recent sync that did take place. I find it very annoying indeed. It doesn't seem to matter whether I open up 1Password first on the iMac or on the iPad. The fact that it can go for weeks without giving me this message tells me it is possible to get rid of it. I don't share my passwords with other family members and I don't wish to sync to Dropbox or any other way but WiFi.

What can be done about this aside from my having to click "dismiss" every time I open up the app on my iOS devices?

Thank you.
    Kristina

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@CityGal I'm sorry about the frustration, and understand that Wi-Fi Sync is an important part of your workflow. Like I said in my previous responses on this thread, we're aware of the issue and will be fixing it as soon as we can :)

• BossHappy
    BossHappy
    Community Member

First off, thank you for all of your hard work. 1Password is a fantastic tool and your efforts are appreciated. Regarding the pop-up message: I'm on the band wagon too, I'm not sure what value it provides, however, I understand the need for transparency over automation. One suggestion would be to have the Wi-Fi always on like it use to be, but the user must request for syncing to occur and a syncing password should be supplied. This prevents automatic syncing, however, ensures security.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your kind words, @BossHappy! I'm confident we'll get this sorted out and make you even more pleased with 1Password. :)

• 1poster
    1poster
    Community Member

I would say just don't show the error unless the user manually requests a sync and it fails because the Mac is locked. It's very weird to get a modal error in your face when some automatic background process fails. As others have noted also the error happens every time you switch into & out of 1Password, which, given the nature of the app, is a very common thing to do. If nothing else just only show the error once per 15 minutes or something.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@1poster: The difficultly is that Wi-Fi Sync is currently semi-automatic. If we go back to a fully-manual Wi-Fi Sync process, it will cause others a different form of frustration. We have some ideas in mind of how we might be able to improve this in the future though. :)

• OregonBird
    OregonBird
    Community Member

I too am finding it very irritating that I have to dismiss a pop-up every time I want to use 1P on my iPad. I've read through all of your replies on this thread, so I understand where you are coming from, but I also understand that the current process is very irritating for myself and many others.

Here's my suggestion. Instead of either/or, how about both/and? Rather than saying it has to be either automatic or manual syncing, and that either choice will make some users unhappy, how about making it an option in the settings: choose either manual or auto syncing. That way each customer can choose what works best for them. That way everyone is happy.

I detest these constant pop-ups, and I hope that a manual syncing (like it used to be) option will be added to preferences as soon as possible. At this point, it seems like the only way to get rid of this irksome message is to turn syncing off completely, which does not seem like a very good choice. Please fix soon! Thanks!

• Thanks for the suggestion @OregonBird! That is something we can take into consideration for the future. We do not have any imediate plans for improvements in this area though, so if it is too much of an annoyance to tollerate for the forseeable future I'd recommend switching to a different sync method:

How to sync your 1Password data

I'm sorry I don't have a more encouraging answer for the shorter term.

Ben

• OregonBird
    OregonBird
    Community Member

OK ... in previous posts from you guys in this thread you have mentioned that syncing with Dropbox or iCloud is safe, or else you would not have made those options. These methods may be safe to a great degree, but still, I don't see how putting my data on the Internet could be as safe as keeping that data on my local network at home. So, until you have a fix, I guess I will have to decide whether to turn syncing off, or to temporarily use one of these Internet sync methods. Seeing that I don't need to sync very often, the easiest and safest route would be to turn sync completely off. Thanks for the reply.

• Your data is encrypted before being sent to the sync service. Prior to the 1Password Families and 1Password Teams service offerings nearly all AgileBits employees used Dropbox to sync their 1Password data, without issue.

Ben

• 1poster
    1poster
    Community Member

Just real quick.. I think you could change how often the error is displayed to the user without changing anything more fundamental about how syncing works. Production apps hide errors from users all the time. Cheers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's something we're considering. Thanks for the suggestion!

• JSB1Password
    JSB1Password
    Community Member

I'm just adding my voice to everyone else's--using either my iPad or iPhone on my home network is a really bad experience with your message constantly popping up. I too will not sync my database to the cloud under any circumstances (neither will my good friend who is a developer at Apple). Please get this issue resolved!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JSB1Password

Thank you for stopping by and letting us know how you feel about this. We hope to have some good news for you sometime soon. :chuffed:

• Russ Wood
    Russ Wood
    Community Member

I manually sync via wireless and am comfortable with that. It seems people have been asking you to make the message go away for almost 6 months. What gives?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Russ Wood: I'm sorry for the confusion and frustration here. This isn't about a message. Since there's a client (iOS/Android) and server (macOS/Windows) involved, any changes need to be carefully planned, implemented, and tested so as not to break compatibility. We're working on a solution for this, but it isn't something that should be done hastily on just one platform without regard for the others. Thanks for your patience and understanding. :blush:

• calon9
    calon9
    Community Member

I'd like to voice my frustration with this message too, and hope you come up with a solution. I don't fully understand why the design choice was to have it pop up every time (always twice in a row) instead of just having a pop up reminder when a sync hasn't happened in x days.

I appreciate 1Password and the work you've put into it, but really hope you come up with a fix soon!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@calon9: Thanks for letting us know your feelings and preferences on this.

While I can't promise anything since it will still have to go through testing on multiple platforms, I did want to mention that we do have a solution in the works. Everyone's feedback here is greatly appreciated! :)

This discussion has been closed.