I'm a Family subscriber. I don't want my kids to have a Personal Vault.

Options
noyb5000
noyb5000
Community Member

I'm a Family subscriber. I don't want my kids to have a Personal Vault, because they shouldn't have ID/PW's that I don't know about. How can I delete their personal vault? Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:personal vault

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

@noyb5000

I am struggling with this on my end as well. The only solution that I have seen from the staff comes with a few draw backs. Of those you may be perfectly fine ?

Instead of inviting them to your family as a standard user, invite them as a guest user, doing so they do no get a personal vault. They also cannot access the shared vault. Personally I don't prefer this method. I just don't think its a good fit because I cannot give my oldest son access to the Netflix password in the shared vault. At the same time it does make it easier as I don't have to worry about him not keeping stuff in the desired vault.

If you desire to do this make sure and create a specific vault for them calling it what ever you want, and then move all the items they may have in the personal vault over into that vault BEFORE you remove them as a standard user. (Just making sure you don't loose any data here) Then invite them as a guest user with access to only that specific vault you created for them.

I don't think there have been any changes I have missed in the last couple of weeks, to this work around. If you have any questions, ask away. I am sure the staff will be along soon.
    Maybe they will have more solutions to offer, I just haven't found any in my searching.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Inviting your children to join as guests would be the best option here.

Regular members are given Personal vaults because 1Password was designed to give everyone a place to store information that belongs to them alone. In most cases this is the best option -- spouses, family members, and friends shouldn't have to share all of their passwords with each other, they should be able to have some things which belong only to them. Sharing data should be an option, not the default, at least so far as the way 1Password views that data is concerned. It handles the technical problems of storing data, not the human ones :)

Children are an edge case. Surely everyone who has posted here agrees that they shouldn't have to share things with their parents. But at what age does a child shift from "young enough that I should have access to all of their information" to "old enough that I shouldn't have access to all of their information"? And how many children in the former group are being told how to use 1Password? What happens as those children shift between groups? Should they have to create their own account, or trust that you won't view their data?

I don't have the answers there. It's a complex problem that each family will have to decide for themselves. As it stands you can invite them as guests or you could simply institute a policy in your family that your children can't save anything to their Personal vaults. You could then check in on them periodically by asking them to show you what's in their vaults. Not a perfect solution, and I personally think children have an expectation of privacy that should extend to the digital realm, but it sounds like it should help you get the job done.

ref: B5-1119

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Also worth considering: not having a Personal vault won't keep your kids from registering for accounts online. (Think of all the people out there who don't use a password manager at all for their accounts.) But it just might keep them from using strong, unique passwords for the accounts they do create. Just food for thought.

• noyb5000
    noyb5000
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you all for your thoughtful answers. I think parents should have access to the child's personal vault, or that the parent/admin should be able to disable the child's personal vault. However, it appears AgileBits has considered this issue and decided to do it differently. I can respect that, so long as it's a considered decision, which it appears to be. So I'll just ensure the child gives me their 1P master password. Because that's the rule in this house -- the parents have PWs to all accounts, just as the nation's cyber safety experts recommend. Thanks again for the responses!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It was our pleasure, and I'm glad that you've found a solution that works for you :)

This discussion has been closed.